The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Your number 1 best stock pick right now?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
ok, to give a real answer, if I was going to play, it would be in HDY

They are scheduled to start drilling later this year. I would buy some January puts and calls to play both sides of the drilling outcome.

That is what I would do, and I may in fact do it come monday.

MonTexan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 9, 2009
Houston, TX
I'll thow my hat in the ring as well. I've been moving in and out of FAZ a bit lately and making good money, originally buying around $41. This is a bearish ETF which tracks three times the inverse of the financials (basically XLF) which is composed primarily of JP Morgan, BofA, Wells Fargo, etc.

I've been studying the banks for a couple years and have an appreciation for how bad of shape they are really in. Until recently, I've been hesitant to take short positions in them due to the seemingly unlimited willingness of our government to throw money their way. Due to continued housing problems, winding down of QE (for now at least), forthcoming elections, inevitable Greece fallout, etc. I think that now is a good time to make that bet.

While I consider this a fairly risky play, I think the potential upside is quite large.

RideHD

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Mar 13, 2011
Virginia
PPO has a debt/equity of 172 and total liabilities of $1b, what are the consequences of this?

As noted in my "red flags to watch" comment, this is something to keep an eye on. I am looking to see an improvement in their EPS and sales growth based upon what appears to be continued strong demand for their products. As you probably well know, if they can't improve the numbers, the market will react viciously and you want to be with them in exiting your position (especially when the institutional investors start heading for the door). Their are two reasons for this in my style of investing: 1) when institutional investors leave, they sell up to millions of shares, causing immense selling pressure on the stock (downward gaps/spirals/loss of price support); and 2) if the the company can't improve sales, they will likely introduce new preferred or common shares to raise paid-in capital, diluting the value of the shares, at least temporarily pushing down the stock price. I don't hang around through such scenarios, as you never know how long a recovery might take and there is always another stock moving!

All that said, I have a nice cushion with this one and am optimistic about it -- but NEVER "in love" with a stock or a company! Too many make that stupid mistake IMHO.

Curious to see what this pending earnings season shows us for PPO and others. I hope this answered your question satisfactorily. :)

Cheers,
Jamie

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Thanks! I don't sell so it's always interesting to get another individual's perspective!

Best regards

I kind of like to hear this. Sounds like a very old-money type investment strategy. What if one of the companies you have in your portfolio takes a wrong turn and really gives you a bad taste, then would you sell? i.e. -- if the founders of BKE sold out their ownership, and new management takes the company in the wrong direction, and/or the company falls out of favor with the young and stylish?

- Hakrjak

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What is your number one best stock pick right now and why? Something that you feel has immense upside and potential to make a huge return on?

Whatever stock you're selling! (Sorry, Carl -- couldn't resist!!) :smxF:

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
this could be hilarious.

Carl, you post you trade and then someone else posts the exact opposite and see who makes money. The anticarl investing system shold be pretty lucrative.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
What is your number one best stock pick right now and why? Something that you feel has immense upside and potential to make a huge return on?

Nothing. I haven't bought a stock in over 2 years.

Speaking for myself, the best stocks are found after severe price declines, not massive 2 year run-ups.

Doing something and doing nothing are both actions. Either have the ability to create and destroy wealth.

Best regards.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Carl, you post you trade and then someone else posts the exact opposite and see who makes money. The anticarl investing system shold be pretty lucrative.

My next book contains "Carl's Law" -- when Carl sells, buy ... when Carl buys, sell.

On a serious note, for me, the answer is NONE.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Myself. That is the best stock I can think of!

Agreed! You AND your company will always be the best investment assuming you are working a plan. Speed+ (and for the other threads!)

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
Wait......uh.....

Is their a reason why no one is telling which stock to buy?

I still dont understand stocks but I get the basics.

Is asking someone which stocks to buy,
like asking someone what job do you do?

Questions that you just simply dont ask?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
so I know you're trading right now.

I'm actually in the middle of my "$2K challenge" but I call it my "30 day challenge" -- I'm trading options every single day for 30 trading days. Ill blog about the results.

I just saw you with 35 RIM puts MJ,

Make a cool 660% ROI on that trade in a few short weeks.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Wait......uh.....

Is their a reason why no one is telling which stock to buy?

I still dont understand stocks but I get the basics.

Is asking someone which stocks to buy,
like asking someone what job do you do?

Questions that you just simply dont ask?

No way, this is the stock forum, so talking about specific stock picks shouldn't be off limits. The only people who won't discuss them are the analysts on CNBC that don't want to be caught giving out bad advice.

If someone believes in a position, and they convince other people to join them -- that position can only get better by talking about it, not worse.

- Hakrjak

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Im going to tell you exactly what i tell people that ask me the exact same question.

It Depends....

It really does on so many things, I am an extremely short term trader and an options trader. These people want to make my kind of investment returns simply can't with a dinner table stock pick. It is ridiculous and it seriously shows the inexperience with investments some people have. I tell them to go get an account manager if they don't want to learn it themselves.:coco:

Im not trying to be a dick I honestly don't have a magic stock that will make them the kind of returns I make with over a hundred trades annually. Then they usually argue with me. :rofl:

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
It's a tough question without knowing more details about your investing situation.

But both technically and fundamentally gold remains almost a no-brainer at this point.

Technically we've had a correction, and price has found support at it's trendline and it continuing upwards.

Fundamentally, the recent Euro zone / Greece situation has proven again that in the face of tough choices governments will almost certainly take the easy solution, which is to print money, which is the primary force that is driving gold up in value.

Same in the U.S. if there is a QE3 (it will likely be disguised under a new name because it is becoming too obvious now) then gold will continue to rise.

The only real risk to gold right now would be if someone in Washington comes to their senses and ends the Feds propping up of the irresponsible government spending.

Given that this would be political (and perhaps physical) suicide, the chances of this are slim and none.

fut_chart.ashx

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
johnleehacker said:
Fundamentally, the recent Euro zone / Greece situation has proven again that in the face of tough choices governments will almost certainly take the easy solution, which is to print money, which is the primary force that is driving gold up in value.

Notice the pennant formation which is a bullish continuation signal. I'm short GLD puts. In fact, I'm short options on pretty much everything that has do to with the consequences of irresponsible government spending.

goldchart.jpg

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Interesting so many folks are saying to buy Gold or metals...

I would have thought it would be the exact opposite right now, because of Greece and the Euro taking the brunt of the pain, everybody is pouring into the US Dollar for safety. The result is a stronger dollar in the short term, which is going to lower the price of gold until this crisis is over.

Am I missing something? Jim Rogers seems to agree with me on the dollar.

Speed to Kurt for actually having the balls to make a pick based on something other than macro-economics -- I like that ;) :hurray:

- Hakrjak

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA

I would have thought it would be the exact opposite right now, because of Greece and the Euro taking the brunt of the pain, everybody is pouring into the US Dollar for safety. The result is a stronger dollar in the short term, which is going to lower the price of gold until this crisis is over.

Speed to Kurt for actually having the balls to make a pick based on something other than macro-economics -- I like that ;) :hurray:

- Hakrjak

thank you sir. regarding the euro, germany just caved to giving more funds which I believe will strengthen the euro when the markets open sunday night. Could be wrong, but that is the way I am reading it.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Speed to Kurt for actually having the balls to make a pick based on something other than macro-economics -- I like that

If you want to get stock picks, then you need to give more information.

Timeframe, type of investor, etc.

Examples:

• I'm looking for a wild a$$ speculation to throw some fun money at that I can hold for the next 2 to 3 days... give me your tips!
  • I'm approaching retirement, looking for safe high yield stocks that I can hold for the next 1 to 2 years, what can you recommend?

These are just 2 of 20 possible scenarios that would all produce completely different responses... your original question was too vague to get a serious response.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
If you want to get stock picks, then you need to give more information.

Timeframe, type of investor, etc.

Examples:

• I'm looking for a wild a$$ speculation to throw some fun money at that I can hold for the next 2 to 3 days... give me your tips!
  • I'm approaching retirement, looking for safe high yield stocks that I can hold for the next 1 to 2 years, what can you recommend?

These are just 2 of 20 possible scenarios that would all produce completely different responses... your original question was too vague to get a serious response.

I think you are missing his point. He is just asking for what you would pick right now and why. Under that question, your scenario is the why not his.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I think you are missing his point. He is just asking for what you would pick right now and why. Under that question, your scenario is the why not his.

Not missing the point. If I'm writing out stock picks for me (my investment style) why would I bother if I have no idea if it would be relevant to anyone that might read it, especially the person reading the question.

If he wants to get the entire investment/trading style and scenario for every person supplying an answer, then the question should be about investment style and thought process, because the picks become irrelevant.

Which is back to my point that the picks he is asking for become pointless without the style, and if he wants us to supply the style and the picks, then his original question, asking for picks becomes pointless, because the question is secondary to investing style.

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
How about Groupon?

dday97

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Apr 20, 2011
New York
I'm actually in the middle of my "$2K challenge" but I call it my "30 day challenge" -- I'm trading options every single day for 30 trading days. Ill blog about the results.

Please tell my you traded some USO puts late last week. You would've had that ROI in less than a day! Giddyup.

As for one stock, I really don't see the point of a hold 'n hope strategy but if I was forced at gunpoint to pick one stock to own for the next 5 years or I'd get my face blown off, I guess it would probably be AAPL. Groupon is a train wreck IMO.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Notice the pennant formation which is a bullish continuation signal. I'm short GLD puts. In fact, I'm short options on pretty much everything that has do to with the consequences of irresponsible government spending.

View attachment 2466

Irresponsible govrrnment spending is as sure of a thing as government bonds imo just like they teach you in finance class "the risk free rate of return". I consider indicies that follow presious metals and oil very solid for long run risk adverse portfolio investments. Not really my stratagey though but some small diversity is good.

But i live by my sig line and i dont consider the returns by holding slv or the like for the last 10 years is winning, just doing pretty good.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok

- Hakrjak
Yes, the Euro zones troubles can make a strong case for gold. The European Central Bank unlike the Fed marks their gold (assets) to market. Greece, Portugal, Italy and the like all own a substantial amount of gold. When the price of gold rises the ECB's balance sheet gets stronger offsetting it's debt. It's been doing it since the Euro was born but hardly anyone has noticed. With the rise in price, gold has slowly been taking over their balance sheets asset column.

If the Euro zone ever got backed into a corner where their paper shuffling bailouts fail and they're seriously threatened with a break up because of their debt burden they can simply buy physical gold outright for cash. They print Euros to buy all the physical on the market that they can find and gold becomes a sponge sucking up their debt.

They can buy gold until it's price reaches a level where there debt is no longer a concern. A simple way to solve the debt crisis. This would not make the U.S happy so it is the final option IMO once all others are exhausted.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.