• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

NOTABLE! Your Boss Doesn't Give A Shit About You

Discussion in 'People Mgmt: Customers, Employees, Investors' started by Longinus, Jun 21, 2017.

1. bilkar1985

bilkar1985 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $334
    Same happens to my wife..exactly the same! Even your own blood looks to you as him employee and will treat you like that..so when your turn comes..treat them as a real employer..even your own blood

ruzara5 likes this.
  2. Neng Her

Neng Her Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $240
    If its ok with you, I want to share this experience with my colleagues.

ruzara5 likes this.
  3. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $190,489
    Sure. If you print it please credit thefastlaneforum.com

ruzara5 likes this.
  4. Neng Her

Neng Her Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $240
    Definitely! Thank you.

5. handog

handog Believing Is Seeing Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $73
    In my experience I've heard that the previous generation had much more loyalty between the employer / employee relationship than today. Folks would work for an employer for decades. Today it seems very corporate and less human.

My current employer provides software for patient billing for hospitals and has been sold 4 times since 2006. If it weren't for government health regulations changing yearly there would be no business, but it's ran so badly it feels like we are on the cusp of bankruptcy too. Now when someone gets let go the accumulated vacation time does not get paid out, which is a change to the "way it used to be" and regardless of the value you provide you can still be unemployed at the company's whim at any time.

ruzara5 likes this.
  6. Jonathan Hoch

Jonathan Hoch Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,783
    A few years ago I was working at a machine shop and the boss was screaming about how the economy is bad, and he can replace me with 3 illegal mexican workers for the same as my wage. That I was lucky to have a job and I should blah blah blah. A bunch of bullshit.

3500 machine shops in Houston. 3499 leads. The 7th call that night, offered a job. The next day I packed my toolbox up.

7. ChrisJHarrington

ChrisJHarrington Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,397
    hilarious. this thread pops into my inbox because of a recent comment - and at the perfect time.

I will remain from too many bold comments, as I'm still working for someone else - but this year will be the last year of that. The catalyst was the title of this thread - I joined a company as employee number 40 - early stage venture funded startup in the SaaS space. I was the 4th sales person. With turnover, i'm probably the 15th most tenured person at the company (including founders). I've contributed insurmountable value to the company (partly because i wanted to learn everything as an entrepreneur, i like to stay busy doing something, and i believe in producing 10x value from that you get paid).

With the turnover, we've had a lot of new heads circle above me as my direct boss/report. After a second successful year of producing a ton of $$ and value for the company, I asked for a raise, and put together a presentation.

My merit, work, effort, and everything I had contributed over the past 2 years was simply brushed aside and met with nothing but poor-informed opinions. The truth is, most people in leadership or management positions suck at their job - and aren't properly suited for the position - they were good at another job and fumbled their way into a leadership role. (Being a good individual sales person does not make someone a strong VP of sales or Chief Revenue Officer - completely different skillsets).

The other part to that is the ego - most people have trouble managing their ego (myself included at times) - that means if you're a young, bold producer, your boss still probably doesn't give a shit about you - because your success is a direct reflection on their own lack of success when they were your age. (I had a former VP i reported to who literally disregarded my achievements and would ramble about how when she was my age, she wasn't half as successful, and how i should be grateful to be where i am and to be working for her..)

Another thing i'm realizing is that most bosses are math illiterate. Even when you show them concrete numbers, they'd still go with the choice that doesn't make mathematical sense, just to sooth their own ego and to be "right" (one of my favorite sentences i heard a while back was do you want to be right, or you do you want to make money).

For example - sometimes its better to pay your top producers more money to stick around and keep them happy, because the alternative is you have to pay more money to get someone with experience into the company to produce the same as your current top performers, and there's a ramp-up period to get the person to learn the role. However, the ego of a boss might have them say "i'm not giving anyone a raise and that's that!" - to which, even when math is presented, they back themselves into a corner by their own ego, and end up shooting themselves in the foot.

The title of this thread is spot on, and something to always remember - your boss doesn't give a shit about you, because they probably lack the skills and comprehension to be a good leader in the first place, and their ego is probably holding them back. Good leaders inspire action and have motivated teams work for them, they don't have a burn-and-churn operation at every company they plague (go listen to Simon Sinek talk about leadership and learn from him - he knows what he's talking about).

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019 at 4:45 PM
  8. Longinus

Longinus Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $16,248
    Excellent post, couldn't agree more. Repped.

ruzara5 likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.