The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You Need to Have A Bigger "Why" (What's Yours?)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Jon Anthony

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
572%
Jan 5, 2019
We've all hear that old cliche... "Love what you do, and you'll never work a day in your life."

The thing is, it's actually true.

The past 5 years of being an entrepreneur has taught me one thing.

When you don't have a bigger "why" to push you through on those long, hard days...

...you're not going to put in the work.

As cheesy and simple as it sounds, you really do need to have a bigger reason.

Mine is to help other men change their lives, and avoid traumatizing themselves all over again (such as I did).

What's yours?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
I agree with this as well.

I had a very successful business that was not fulfilling. It was tough to motivate myself to push it to the next level... because why?

My current business has been ups and downs, and struggles and failures, and I've pushed through it all because I'm changing the world and I believe that what I'm doing has to exist.

Jon Anthony

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
572%
Jan 5, 2019
I agree with this as well.

I had a very successful business that was not fulfilling. It was tough to motivate myself to push it to the next level... because why?

My current business has been ups and downs, and struggles and failures, and I've pushed through it all because I'm changing the world and I believe that what I'm doing has to exist.
Agree with the ups and downs. I've gone through those as well.

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
We've all hear that old cliche... "Love what you do, and you'll never work a day in your life."

The thing is, it's actually true.

The past 5 years of being an entrepreneur has taught me one thing.

When you don't have a bigger "why" to push you through on those long, hard days...

...you're not going to put in the work.

As cheesy and simple as it sounds, you really do need to have a bigger reason.

Mine is to help other men change their lives, and avoid traumatizing themselves all over again (such as I did).

What's yours?

I agree that you need to ultimately have a legitimate "Why" as to why you're doing what you're doing, but I don't feel it always has to be the cliche "I want to change the world" or "I want to help everyone".

My "Why" is to become the best entrepreneur that I can possibly become and hopefully if I do well enough leave a legacy that I can be proud of. I also want to create new unique products/services that people love and make me a load of money at the same time.

I probably will eventually look at giving back and teaching people what I know later on in life if I'm successful, but whilst I'm in my 20's my goals aren't all that altruistic. I don't feel that this is a bad thing though aslong as you're honest with yourself.

Kusneak

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jun 20, 2019
Black Forrest Germany
I belive that a strong why is very important too. However mine isnt glorious but at least im honest. My Why is: I want to "Destroy" all these people who told me, you re stupid, you cant do this, you cant do that...
The thing is: They are right. They can`t do this or that. But i can.
To have good people behind you is very helpfull too.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
My Why is: I want to "Destroy" all these people who told me, you re stupid, you cant do this, you cant do that...

This was a powerful motivator for me in my younger years.

If someone me no... it got me beyond fired up... and I proved them wrong every time.

Max Weber

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Sep 18, 2018
Tallinn, Estonia
Do what you love is the best way to not love anymore what you do.

Doing what your love and being profitable is very rare. Love something does not mean that you are good in it. It can destroy your love for this thing.

I think that your passion, your why is more powerful and useful than your "love". Why? No matter what you are doing you will do it because you have something above all of that.

This is my case, I do not love a lot my business. Actually I'm not really passionate by something particularly, but I have this thing, this "why" which help me everyday. Your passion is more important than your love and it could be your why.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
I think that your passion, your why is more powerful and useful than your "love". Why? No matter what you are doing you will do it because you have something above all of that.

In my book, this is "love". It is absurd to call it "love" if you can abandon it for the sake of having a successful business doing something else. The word "love" is clearly too ambiguous to properly capture and distinguish between the different aspects of enjoyment, finding meaning in, finding motivation in, and so forth.

I would go even further: if you are not "doing" what you "love", how do you know that you love it, after all?

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
I probably will eventually look at giving back and teaching people what I know later on in life if I'm successful, but whilst I'm in my 20's my goals aren't all that altruistic. I don't feel that this is a bad thing though aslong as you're honest with yourself.

That was a big change for me also: I realized that in order to teach people I have to teach myself first. Otherwise all I could teach was self-sacrifice. Paradoxically, not many people want to learn about self-sacrifice. Also, without being selfish I found it did not have much to give — not money, not time (brought up by MJ), not skill. The idea of being selfish vs being not selfish is clearly not subtle enough.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
Our "why's" as entrepreneurs are as silly as the tilting at windmill "what's" of identity focused kids.

To live is to struggle, and to overcome is to keep living another day.

At least we place our value in what we do, versus what we are or have... but I suppose even valuing that as superior is relative to our point of observation.

I think it's a good thing.

"Do you know the only value life has is what life puts upon itself? And it is of course overestimated, for it is of necessity prejudiced in its own favour." ~ Wolf Larsen

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.