The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You Don’t Have To Outrun The Bear, Just The Guy Next To You.

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
Do you have what you believe is a decent business idea or product, but get scared out of ever starting because you feel you can’t compete with the big guys in your niche?

The good news is… You don’t have to.

When I first started out, I had what I believed was a pretty solid business idea. But then I would go online to check out the competition and come across another awesome looking, professional website with amazing customer testimonials and then suddenly second guess everything I was doing. I’d get discouraged and instead of getting started I’d delay pulling the trigger on my idea.

Eventually I decided to jump in anyway and things all worked out for the best. But I could have just as easily gone the other way and never started.

What I didn’t realise back then was that if there’s a poorly run business making money in your niche then you can make money too.

Next time you’re checking out the competition don’t just check out the main competitors in your niche. Look for the little guys (the one’s on page 4 or 5 of google). If there’s established businesses in your niche with inferior products, crappy websites or poor customer service (preferably all 3) then all you need to do to make some money is outperform these guys, not the big players.

And obviously I don’t mean you can just hastily slap something together and do well. You should always do your best to add value for your customers and make the entire process a pleasant one for them, but you shouldn’t let strong competitors discourage you. Many niches have room for plenty of businesses.

Looking back now there are plenty of things I did pretty poorly in the beginning but through trial and error, have gradually improved.

For instance, in the beginning I did all my own product photography and while they didn’t look as good as the big competitors, they looked better than what many of the smaller competitors had. Fast forward a few years and I can now outsource all the product photography and my website looks every bit as good as the ones that use to scare me off.

And while I started out as a small player competing against other small fish, my business is now one of the biggest in our niche and a recognised brand that our customers love. The big guys are now my peers and my competitors.

So next time you’re feeling discouraged just use the big guys for inspiration and the little guys for motivation. And remember that while you should strive for perfection, you don’t have to be perfect... Just get started and improve from there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SIDI

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jul 5, 2018
Do you have what you believe is a decent business idea or product, but get scared out of ever starting because you feel you can’t compete with the big guys in your niche?

When I first started out, I had what I believed was a pretty solid business idea. But then I would go online to check out the competition and come across another awesome looking, professional website with amazing customer testimonials and then suddenly second guess everything I was doing. I’d get discouraged and instead of getting started I’d delay pulling the trigger on my idea.

Eventually I decided to jump in anyway and things all worked out for the best. But I could have just as easily gone the other way and never started.

What I didn’t realise back then was that if there’s a poorly run business making money in your niche then you can make money too.

Next time you’re checking out the competition don’t just check out the main competitors in your niche. Look for the little guys (the one’s on page 4 or 5 of google). If there’s established businesses in your niche with inferior products, crappy websites or poor customer service (preferably all 3) then all you need to do to make some money is outperform these guys, not the big players.

And obviously I don’t mean you can just hastily slap something together and do well. You should always do your best to add value for your customers and make the entire process a pleasant one for them, but you shouldn’t let strong competitors discourage you. Many niches have room for plenty of businesses.

Looking back now there are plenty of things I did pretty poorly in the beginning but through trial and error, have gradually improved.

For instance, in the beginning I did all my own product photography and while they didn’t look as good as the big competitors, they looked better than what many of the smaller competitors had. Fast forward a few years and I can now outsource all the product photography and my website looks every bit as good as the ones that use to scare me off.

And while I started out as a small player competing against other small fish, my business is now one of the biggest in our niche and a recognised brand that our customers love. The big guys are now my peers and my competitors.

So next time you’re feeling discouraged just use the big guys for inspiration and the little guys for motivation. And remember that while you should strive for perfection, you don’t have to be perfect... Just get started and improve from there.
Great to see you posting. Any chance of an update on your progress thread? This was one of the ones that got me to sign up!

Very timely post this. Not exactly the same, but certainly in the same region, I constantly talk myself out of ideas due to the potential being too low (in my eyes). Somewhat in line with @Kak ‘s threads, I seem to turn down ideas because I don’t think the opportunity is big enough, which basically means that I end up doing nothing! Poor excuse I know. As a result, I’m not developing any of this experience which is almost a pre-requisite to becoming a successful entrepreneur. I’ve not even gotten as far as action faking!

Certainly gives that kick to just get moving forward and stop concerning yourself too much with what others are doing!

Hope all is well.

Last edited:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

Good to see you around a bit more mate!

Hope everything is going smashingly for you!

Timmy.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
You Don’t Have To Outrun The Bear, Just The Guy Next To You.

Unless the guy/gal next to you has all your money and gear and you just happen to love them. :)

Love the post that is why I come here my friend.

We go to the gym and do some reps for the body and come here and do some reps for the BRAIN.

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
Years ago I almost didn't get into copywriting due to the amount of "competition" I believed there to be. Since then I have learned (and reconfirmed over and over again) a valuable lesson: Most "competition" isn't your competition if you are willing to put in the work, be smart about it, continue to soak up needed knowledge, and to tweak and test like a mad scientist. Do that and you will rise to the top 20% pretty easy.

Most just aren't willing, or able, to do what it takes to be great. If you are then getting to top 20% of any niche is just a matter of time.

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
Great to see you posting. Any chance of an update on your progress thread? This was one of the ones that got me to sign up!

Very timely post this. Not exactly the same, but certainly in the same region, I constantly talk myself out of ideas due to the potential being too low (in my eyes). Somewhat in line with @Kak ‘s threads, I seem to turn down ideas because I don’t think the opportunity is big enough, which basically means that I end up doing nothing! Poor excuse I know. As a result, I’m not developing any of this experience which is almost a pre-requisite to becoming a successful entrepreneur. I’ve not even gotten as far as action faking!

Certainly gives that kick to just get moving forward and stop concerning yourself too much with what others are doing!

Hope all is well.

Thanks SIDI. I've had a few people ask for updates so I just posted one.

As for taking action... While it's always best to do your homework, you're never going to be 100% sure of any business venture and no amount of research is going to get you to that point. Eventually you just have to trust your gut (and the information you have at hand) and take the plunge.

And as long as the downside of the venture not working out isn't devastating then you're better off jumping in and learning, rather than waiting for the perfect opportunity to come along. Keep taking smart risks and you'll win in the long run.

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
Years ago I almost didn't get into copywriting due to the amount of "competition" I believed there to be. Since then I have learned (and reconfirmed over and over again) a valuable lesson: Most "competition" isn't your competition if you are willing to put in the work, be smart about it, continue to soak up needed knowledge, and to tweak and test like a mad scientist. Do that and you will rise to the top 20% pretty easy.

Most just aren't willing, or able, to do what it takes to be great. If you are then getting to top 20% of any niche is just a matter of time.

Great post.

I've seen this over and over again with friends and family who want to 'dabble' in starting a business. They ask for some advice, go off and try a few things, hit a road block and give up.

You either love the process (constantly learning & testing) or you simply love the destination and never get there.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
634%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Before I saw this post I was just saying this out loud to someone

"Whats the competitive advantage for my lawn care company??... I have all my teeth"

Had a good laugh at seeing the title of this post because it's 100% true.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.