The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Worst night of my life!!!!!!!!!!

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
7 o'lock, I sit down and begin work on a new WP website I wanted to get knocked out tonight. Work on it for 5 hours with 30 minutes break for dinner, consistently and diligently saving all of my work. I am making the final corrections on the very last page (the final fvcking corrections!!!) and my internet goes down momentarily, I refresh a a tab I had open which just happened to be fantastico (with the wordpress installer open) and it (I am assuming re-installs a completely new version of WP over my great content filled, visually appealing clean grade A, awesome, killer of a site. All my content, gone. 5 HOURS OF WORK, gone in 6 seconds or less..... (7:00-12:06 AM)

Sometimes I want to throw my fvcking monitor into the wall and smash my computer into a fine dust :bgh::bgh::bgh::bgh::bgh::bgh::bgh::bgh::bgh::bgh::bgh::bgh::bgh::bgh::bgh::bgh::bgh::bgh::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pullhair:

:greenchainsaw:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

santa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2011
UK
I think we can all relate to this frustration. In the moment, it very much feels like those heads bashing against the wall. But a good sleep and some time to reflect can help. As rocky would say "it aint about how hard you hit, but how you can get hit...how much you can take..." etc
Worst night in your life, nope. You've probably had worse overall I'm guessing, though in that moment it felt pretty bad.

Not even close to your worst night ever lol I know what you mean though
What's ironic is titling it "worse night of my life" as a reader trivilises the event

Also perspective is valuable. Whenever I'm feeling sorry for myself, watching something such as surviving a war concentraion camp or below on child slavery can wake me out of my self pity quite quickly (not too much as it will depress me, but enough to get me into positive action once again)

[video=youtube;xVo2TabkW8I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVo2TabkW8I[/video]

Dust yourself off sir, learn any lessons you can, and use that pain/frustration to reframe the experience and drive you forward.
Then one day you can buy a tshirt like this and where it with pride

thumblg.jpg

And when people ask you what the "event" was you can tell about that dark night in October 2012.
Though more likely you won't have even remembered this specific setback :)

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I went to high school with this kid, right? He was a straight A student and a pretty good basketball and baseball player. He had an older brother, and three younger brothers who also played basketball and baseball. His mom and dad were always at the events and volunteered at the high school throughout the school year. The mom worked at the college at the time and the dad worked for UPS. My friend works for the California Highway Patrol. A few months ago he got a call at 2:00 AM from his dad that his mother was stabbed in their house. Since he lived next door, he ran to his parent's house to find her dead on the floor. Last week, his dad was arrested for the murder of his mom. He basically lost both of his parents that night. But you got WordPress problems...

I know I blew this way out of proportion, but I'm glad that only this is the worst day of your life. You'll probably build it again in only four hours this time!

CTamme

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Sep 27, 2012
QC, Iowa
As I tell my five year old daughter when she says "This is the worst day of my life!", I say "so far."

I stole that line from Homer Simpson and no truer words were ever spoken.

ColtonJD91

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 23, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Santa: The child slavery movie is really eye opening. When I saw 25:00 I figured I'd last maybe 5 minutes. Ended up getting intrigued and then quickly hooked. Watched the whole thing. No negatives in my life compare to being a child slave sold by my own parents in a make shift slum with barely enough resources for sustainability.

Mike39: If you didn't watch that, I encourage you too. I'm just like you man. When the Bulls lost the the Heat in the 2011 playoffs, I threw a water bottle against my wall. That movie helps keep everything in perspective.

P.S. Best freakout story ever: My buddy punched a hole in his wall when he found out he was losing an hour of sleep over daylight savings time. :smilielol:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I once worked with my boss on a budget spreadsheet for Best Buy (back when the budgets were done in excel.) We worked for several hours on it on a Saturday, building a budget that rolled up from forecasted sales per item per month, into subcategories, into categories representing Best Buy's entire audio business nationwide. We started at 7AM, and at 5PM, we were done. It was due to the company Monday morning at 7AM, so it felt good to have this massive undertaking completed.

I am a compulsive saver. I save computer files every few minutes by habit, having lost changes before in computer crashes. Save, save, save. So... the last thing I tried to do before we shut off the lights for the night was save the master budget plan.

To this day, more than a decade later, I still have no idea how IT happened.

I saved a blank worksheet in place of the budget.

90 seconds of frantic searching produced catastrophic results. I had wiped the whole budget out.

----------------------------------

My boss sat back in his chair. He took a cigarette out of his carton of Marlboro's, and lit it up (in his office).

He said nothing. He cracked a half smile.

He offered me a cigarette, and I took one. We sat in silence, with the only sound in the room being the deep drags of the cancer sticks as the smoke swirled around the blank computer screen.

When the last ember of the cigarettes faded to black, he reached over and shut off the computer.

"Let's go..." he said, as he reached for his keys.

I shut off the lights as we left the office and headed for the parking lot.

We'd start over Monday morning.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
oooooooh

A need?

A software program that auto saves every 30 seconds? :)

Probably already done many years ago.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I once worked with my boss on a budget spreadsheet for Best Buy (back when the budgets were done in excel.) We worked for several hours on it on a Saturday, building a budget that rolled up from forecasted sales per item per month, into subcategories, into categories representing Best Buy's entire audio business nationwide. We started at 7AM, and at 5PM, we were done. It was due to the company Monday morning at 7AM, so it felt good to have this massive undertaking completed.

I am a compulsive saver. I save computer files every few minutes by habit, having lost changes before in computer crashes. Save, save, save. So... the last thing I tried to do before we shut off the lights for the night was save the master budget plan.

To this day, more than a decade later, I still have no idea how IT happened.

I saved a blank worksheet in place of the budget.

90 seconds of frantic searching produced catastrophic results. I had wiped the whole budget out.

----------------------------------

My boss sat back in his chair. He took a cigarette out of his carton of Marlboro's, and lit it up (in his office).

He offered me a cigarette, and I took one. We sat in silence, with the only sound in the room being the deep drags of the cancer sticks as the smoke swirled around the blank computer screen.

When the last ember of the cigarettes faded to black, he reached over and shut off the computer.

"Let's go..." he said, as he reached for his keys.

I shut off the lights as we left the office and headed for the parking lot.

We'd start over Monday morning.

GOOD story!

BUT when I write your bio I will change it up a bit.

Something like this:

My boss sat back in his chair. He took a cigarette out of his carton of NON FilteredMarlboro's, and lit it up (in his office).

He offered me a cigarette, and I took one.

And then with one HORRIFIC guttural sound, he keeled over dead!

The only sound in the room being from the deep drags of the cancer sticks I was taking, as the smoke swirled around the blank computer screen.

He had told Best Buy they would have it at 8 AM on Monday or he would die trying. Well by goodness I was NOT going to let his death be in vein.

I pushed his still warm corpse off the desk so I could get back to work.

I stayed there working nonstop for the next 36 hours straight. Only briefly taking a break to fill up on java and a quick drag on a NON filtered Marlboro.

At one point I was reduced to ripping eye brow hairs out just to stay awake, but I finished just in time to sent it over to Best Buy, before I passed out on my keyboard.

The last thought going through my head "I hope they don't think I killed him to get his job."

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
A Pabst Blue Ribbon at B&P 2013 will probably get 'er done.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Ok it was not the worst night of my life by any means, but it definitely sucked. I had everything planned so I could go out today and get my first couple of customers but now I have to go back and re-build the website before I can do that, and school is tomorrow so it might be next week before I can get out and get some sales :smx8:

{Hashtag} 1st world problems :rofl:

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
{Hashtag} 1st world problems :rofl:
Ah you beat me to it!

ps why couldn't you save?

When I quit to start working full time on starting a company, I had a huge repository of info saved on my computer. First day working on it, my hard drive failed and I lost everything I had done for 2 years. Lesson learned: back of your work!

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
ps why couldn't you save?
I did save, but it was all saved to my public html and I guess when I hit refresh on the fantastico page, it re-installed a brand new (blank) version of WP over my current site with all the content on it. I usually back up all of my sites to my computer or other source but I only do that once I complete a site.

D

DeletedUser394

Simple solution: Do it again :) Now you know what not to do.

5 hours isn't much. I've seen plenty of people waste 5 years on a project :(

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
You are right Rick Kid.

Heck I wasted 5 hours of watching TV just today lol

EN_VY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Sep 28, 2012
Houston
Why not just use FileZilla to backup the whole folder onto your computer?

Sent from my iOS powered Android.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
You can do automated backups to amazon s3 using managewp. Doesnt get more convenient.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I am glad this is your rock bottom!

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
@Mike39 -- Try doing the same thing in Drupal. I can guarantee a smashed monitor. =)

xmartel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jul 22, 2008
Canada, eh!
Sometimes I want to throw my fvcking monitor into the wall and smash my computer into a fine dust

I know how you feel. My computer pissed me off one to many times and when I got a new one I took my old one out to my land and used it for target practice with my SKS. Very sweet feeling.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.