The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Working at a 9-5, kind of insulting experience today. How would YOU react?

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
So, I work only about 3 days a week, I've found a semi-ok way to do passive income but I still need the other job to finance the rest of my stuff (I'm 20 btw).

So today, my boss walks up to me and says

"Hey, you're working 5 days next week"

Like most of you here, When I am off, I am still working...but on bigger and better projects that make money.....NOT just sitting around waiting to work my 9-5. My motivation for going to work is to realize how much I hate it, which makes me want to work harder"

Anyway, these people just don't get it. Just because I am younger than most of the people there, they act like I'm an idiot when I say "Yeah, I am working from home, slowly building it up....I use this to finance it."

See, I am glad I got the hours, its just more money for me...but I was EXTREMELY insulted by the way he TOLD me to it, he didn't even F*cking ask! As if I didn't have friends, plans, or anything else going on. Just assuming I was a machine ready to roll at his Beck and Call. Also, I couldn't say "Listen, when I don't work here, I work at home". He'd laugh in my face!

How would you guys have responded to this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Do what you have to do to keep the job as long as you need the job. If that means eating some shit, eat some shit. You have a bigger end game.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
At your age, I would have been happy to work two extra days. If that were to happen today, I would tell him he's going to need to find someone else to cover the shift because I have prior obligations. No argument or debate, just hey I'm letting you know. Being insulted is just the way you took it and he doesn't care if you were insulted. You are a tool in that business and they'll use use as they please. It's part of being an employee.

One thing to keep in mind is there are certain laws in terms of changing a schedule. In California, I believe you must change an employees shift at least 48 hours before they're scheduled.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Do what you have to do to keep the job as long as you need the job. If that means eating some shit, eat some shit. You have a bigger end game.

Agreed. And its not like I have never had someone talk down to me, obviously, its just that I didn't expect someone to present it that way.

Mr.Dietsch

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 30, 2012
Well man until you do not need that job, you take the verbal abuse just like everyone else. Then when the day comes that you can quit, walk up to him kindly and put your two weeks in. Never burn bridges, you never know when you might need someone to fall back on. Definitely make sure he remembers you though, that way in 5 years when you randomly pull up next to him at the gas station in your sick dream car you can make sure to reintroduce yourself and ask him how that 9-5 he still works at is going.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Well to start with I never would have only been working just 3 days a week unless I was independently wealthy or making PLENTY of money from my business.

So my response would have been, do you think I could work 7 days a week? Yes serious.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Well to start with I never would have only been working just 3 days a week unless I was independently wealthy or making PLENTY of money from my business.

So my response would have been, do you think I could work 7 days a week? Yes serious.

Thats very true, I don't have anything to say other than "You're Right."

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Why are you only working 3 days a week?

Who pays for your housing, food etc?

DTS Ltd

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 17, 2012
So, I work only about 3 days a week, I've found a semi-ok way to do passive income but I still need the other job to finance the rest of my stuff (I'm 20 btw).

So today, my boss walks up to me and says

"Hey, you're working 5 days next week"

Like most of you here, When I am off, I am still working...but on bigger and better projects that make money.....NOT just sitting around waiting to work my 9-5. My motivation for going to work is to realize how much I hate it, which makes me want to work harder"

Anyway, these people just don't get it. Just because I am younger than most of the people there, they act like I'm an idiot when I say "Yeah, I am working from home, slowly building it up....I use this to finance it."

See, I am glad I got the hours, its just more money for me...but I was EXTREMELY insulted by the way he TOLD me to it, he didn't even F*cking ask! As if I didn't have friends, plans, or anything else going on. Just assuming I was a machine ready to roll at his Beck and Call. Also, I couldn't say "Listen, when I don't work here, I work at home". He'd laugh in my face!

How would you guys have responded to this?

The less certain people know about your plans to advance yourself, the harder it is to attempt to sabotage you.

And those co-workers who you think look at you like an idiot? There's a better chance that your efforts off the job will eventually lead to you making enough progress for you to leave that job, which would leave these people questioning themselves.

Work the hours, collect your pay, and handle your business when you have the time. And stop volunteering information to your co-workers! Unless it's someone who appreciates what you are trying to achieve...

mlcmartin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Feb 5, 2011
When your boss says "Hey, you're working 5 days next week".. you say "F*ck you!"..

Seriously though, use this experience, use his company to take as much information skills and ideas as you can. Skrew him up and down and side to side and he wouldn't even know it. Take his whole business strategy, and use it in your own business.. take as much as you can. He is trying to take your time away from you - so it's justified. Just be like him towards him but in a way that's not too obvious. And find more paying customers who are willing to pay you for work you love doing so you don't have to put up with this kind of thing.

DTS Ltd

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Aug 17, 2012
When your boss says "Hey, you're working 5 days next week".. you say "F*ck you!".. Seriously though, use this experience, use his company to take as much information skills and ideas as you can. Skrew him up and down and side to side and he wouldn't even know it. Take his whole business strategy, and use it in your own business.. take as much as you can. He is trying to take your time away from you - so it's justified. Just be like him towards him but in a way that's not too obvious. And find more paying customers who are willing to pay you for work you love doing so you don't have to put up with this kind of thing.
I'll co-sign this. While you're working at this place. Observe everything that you can about the way this person runs their business. Get as much of an understanding of the structure as you can. You'll be able to apply what you have learned into the running of your own business.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
He is trying to take your time away from you
Sorry, can't agree with this.

He is not 'taking' anything away from you. He is 'paying' you to provide a service, to work.

Skrew him up and down and side to side and he wouldn't even know it.
Is that how you will be grateful to the people that give you a salary in exchange of honest work?

Is that how you will treat your customers in the future?

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
As an employee you're under his control, your side gigs don't mean anything to him. Secondly I wouldn't rave about how this is just to fund a side business.

SlimTycoon

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 8, 2012
You felt Insulted? Why?

If you're insulted by that, than you're not ready for business. Seriously. You haven't seen anything yet.
Good luck because you'll need it. You're going to need to be a hell of a lot tougher my friend. What are you going to do when one of your customers decides to curse you out? Are you going to feel insulted?

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
Taking job things / a boss EMOTIONAL is employees mentality.

Feeling sad, because your boss yelled at you is employees mentality.

Argueing with a boss, saying 'F*ck you' to him is employees mentality.

Understanding that it's business, not personal is boss mentality.

Understanding that you use a job to make ends meet til your own business takes over is boss mentality.

The answer is to work hard, keep your mouth shut and turn your emotions off (especially when other people try to get at you). With determination, patience and luck your time will come.

PS: Nothing pisses people more off than a smile :)

SlimTycoon

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 8, 2012
When your boss says "Hey, you're working 5 days next week".. you say "F*ck you!"..

Seriously though, use this experience, use his company to take as much information skills and ideas as you can. Skrew him up and down and side to side and he wouldn't even know it. Take his whole business strategy, and use it in your own business.. take as much as you can. He is trying to take your time away from you - so it's justified. Just be like him towards him but in a way that's not too obvious. And find more paying customers who are willing to pay you for work you love doing so you don't have to put up with this kind of thing.

Your post clearly shows your age and lack of life experience. I'd advise you to take a break from the forum and grow up. Your post is the worst advice I have ever read online. Than again I don't hang out on forums because I have real work to do.

SlimTycoon

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 8, 2012
As an employee you're under his control, your side gigs don't mean anything to him. Secondly I wouldn't rave about how this is just to fund a side business.

I agree 100%. If I was his boss he would be fired. He doesn't deserve to have a job. He's insulted by the guy who's helping him fund his project. That's laughable.

The OP needs to get some perspective.

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
Not knowing what sort of job this, what sort of person your boss is and what
his tone of voice was like, I still think it didn't warrant you being upset lol.

You could even have taken it as a compliment like "hey you're doing a great
job I need more of your help so you're working five days next week enjoy the
money" or something like that, alot of people want a job and don't have one bro.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Yeah, I think I should shut up about the whole - job on the side - thing. But I mean what would someone say if I was saving up to go to college? I guess a bit different since thats more of a societal norm.

I know I need to grow some thicker skin. See, when he said it to me it wasn't like I cried and couldn't stop thinking about it.

It just had a very subtle impact that said "Holy shit, I finally see why people hate these jobs so much"

Trust me, I know I've got a lot to figure out and I'm far from stable, but thanks for the advice everyone!

mlcmartin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Feb 5, 2011
Sorry, can't agree with this.

Is that how you will be grateful to the people that give you a salary in exchange of honest work?

Is that how you will treat your customers in the future?

Yes. Customers who are bitchy and disrespectful and who try to take more than what is offered to them? Yes. "Here, take your money back, go to my competitors.. they are waiting to meet you."

Of course nothing wrong with giving honest service, delivering good products and doing the work you love and fixing things that are in need of being fixed, fixing problems (if any) after the work is done and giving good customer service - provided that you are happy and have decided to take upon you these responsibilities ahead of time as "part of the deal". Then no problem. But the op is obviously not very happy in the situation he is in. He feels that the boss is demanding more than what the OP has agreed to give.

To the OP: perhaps you can just say "I'm all booked, sorry. Can we do it next week?" if it doesn't work for him and he wants to find someone else to do the work then fine. I mean, it only means that the specific kind of work done by YOU wasn't valuable enough for him anyway. You deserve better.

OR: sure, I can work the whole week but it will cost you extra (name a higher hourly rate).

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
Yeah, I think I should shut up about the whole - job on the side - thing. But I mean what would someone say if I was saving up to go to college? I guess a bit different since thats more of a societal norm.

You don't need to tell them ANYTHING. If they ask, be vague. Say you are saving it. Keep at it until you don't need the 9-5 anymore.

Employers do not usually like workers to have outside jobs. They see it as a possible distraction when you are at work.

mlcmartin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Feb 5, 2011
I'd say, skip the whole 9-5 thing altogether and start in sales. Just approach a business and say "Hi, I wanna sell your stuff.".. and then go out and sell it. "Can you give me a discount?".. "What's the price? It's 35".. "can we say 90 for 3?" Then at least you're going to learn skills that will eventually help you leave your 9-5 forever. You may have to work hard 8-9 at first when you have no skills at all, but the skills you learn in the process of getting better at it, will change your life for ever. ;) Just a thought..

Oh.. and btw.. you shouldn't listen to me. Because aparently I don't have any life experience and my advice is bad, so I shouldn't be spending time on this forum. So don't listen to me.. I'll be back with more life experience later..

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
You felt Insulted? Why?

If you're insulted by that, than you're not ready for business. Seriously. You haven't seen anything yet.
Good luck because you'll need it. You're going to need to be a hell of a lot tougher my friend. What are you going to do when one of your customers decides to curse you out? Are you going to feel insulted?

Speed+ for the truth.

You think a boss is mean? Wait till you get a CUSTOMER. They can be relentless. They won't accommodate for you.

Think about this: you're running a business and you average around 10 products per week. You've adjusted to this, so you only have at max 15 products on you at once. The next week, a customer comes in with an order of 100 products. Are you gonna feel insulted that they asked you to do more than you bargained for? If that customer doesn't get his 100 pieces by next week, he's not going to be happy.

So you have to do a little extra work. Big deal. Take the paper and do what you do.

mlcmartin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Feb 5, 2011
Speed+ for the truth.

You think a boss is mean? Wait till you get a CUSTOMER. They can be relentless. They won't accommodate for you.

Think about this: you're running a business and you average around 10 products per week. You've adjusted to this, so you only have at max 15 products on you at once. The next week, a customer comes in with an order of 100 products. Are you gonna feel insulted that they asked you to do more than you bargained for? If that customer doesn't get his 100 pieces by next week, he's not going to be happy.

So you have to do a little extra work. Big deal. Take the paper and do what you do.

BIG BIG BIG difference. When you get an order for 100 products you can pool help from other people and paralellize the delivery to make it happen fast. When you are asked to work a few days extra it's like they tell you here is your prison sentence extended by a few years. Usually you don't get to choose who will do the work - you have to drag your a$$ to the cubicle and do it yourself - AND not even get any kind of recognition for it because the company gets all the credit. So HUGE difference. When a customer comes with an order for 100 products you get the chance to grow and to prove to all the other customers that you can do it. It can be used in marketing, it can be used in testimonials and it can later result in a 1000 product order that comes in through you - for which YOU get paid. When someone asks you to work 100 times more for THEM and not for YOURSELF then you're spending these 100 hours making sure that they get the next big order and not you.

But I guess some people would say it's your "dharma" to serve the company if you have willingly signed the contract with them to be their slave. And some companies tread their slaves better than others. But you are still a slave.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Yes. Customers who are bitchy and disrespectful and who try to take more than what is offered to them? Yes. "Here, take your money back, go to my competitors.. they are waiting to meet you."

Of course nothing wrong with giving honest service, delivering good products and doing the work you love and fixing things that are in need of being fixed, fixing problems (if any) after the work is done and giving good customer service - provided that you are happy and have decided to take upon you these responsibilities ahead of time as "part of the deal". Then no problem. But the op is obviously not very happy in the situation he is in. He feels that the boss is demanding more than what the OP has agreed to give.

To the OP: perhaps you can just say "I'm all booked, sorry. Can we do it next week?" if it doesn't work for him and he wants to find someone else to do the work then fine. I mean, it only means that the specific kind of work done by YOU wasn't valuable enough for him anyway. You deserve better.

OR: sure, I can work the whole week but it will cost you extra (name a higher hourly rate).

Its not so much that I think he is demanding more than what I can give, but the way he said it. As if any other life I had outside of the job was non-existent. As if the job was my life.

However, I have come to grips with the fact that : The harder I work at that Job, the sooner I get out.

Its a blessing in disguise, it was meant to happen.

JamesS88

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Apr 14, 2012
I don't have the background that a lot of posters do, and I'm still young, but my advice is this: DO NOT talk to coworkers about your entrepreneurial endeavors. It will be used as a weapon against you. When it comes to coworkers, think of it like that line when a cop is reading you your rights, "Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law." As far as your coworkers are concerned, you're nothing more than competition. They wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. Not everyone is like that, but more than you would think.

Whole Paradigm

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Nov 15, 2011
To the OP, I learned real quick to shut-up about my endeavors. I very rarely speak of them. Find a small group of trusted people here if you want to discuss the details and inner workings. Otherwise, you'll receive mostly silly replies and put-downs.

I put my two weeks in at my job the other day. They believe I'm going to work for another company and my ego is just fine with letting them believe so.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
You felt Insulted? Why?

This right here.

One of the biggest things I have ever learned is that Business is War.

Business competitors will do anything they can to deter you and sabotage your business. When I had my first non-fastlane business my competitor did some public research and found that I didn't have a certain permit. They reported me and I got hit with a heavy fine. They violate your copyrights etc etc.

Because the majority are sidewalkers, the majority of your customers will be sidewalkers. They yell at you and threaten to sue you over $60 EVEN if you are nice and give a complete cash refund AND let them keep the product EVEN if you clearly stated no cash refunds. No joke.

Employees will steal from you. They can make errors that can costs you big time.

When I first started I was really sensitive, trusting and WAY too nice. And I paid the price big time. Now I don't trust anybody; not even the little old lady next door. Now I am very stern and assertive, I stand my ground. And now I separate business from friendship.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I disagree Patrick. I would rather work as few days as possible to pay all the bills if I was building a business. Why work a BS job 7 days a week if you can make ends meet in 3 and have other, bigger plans?

Now, to the OP the fact of the matter is, you are an employee... You chose to accept the job. Employees have very little control over how they make money.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I'd say, skip the whole 9-5 thing altogether and start in sales. Just approach a business and say "Hi, I wanna sell your stuff.".. and then go out and sell it. "Can you give me a discount?".. "What's the price? It's 35".. "can we say 90 for 3?" Then at least you're going to learn skills that will eventually help you leave your 9-5 forever. You may have to work hard 8-9 at first when you have no skills at all, but the skills you learn in the process of getting better at it, will change your life for ever. ;) Just a thought..

Oh.. and btw.. you shouldn't listen to me. Because aparently I don't have any life experience and my advice is bad, so I shouldn't be spending time on this forum. So don't listen to me.. I'll be back with more life experience later..

I like this advice. Now the second paragraph in you post was stupid. WTH was that all about?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.