The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Work balance during weekends

Anything related to matters of the mind

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
i block my time for each week with clear tasks / outcomes for each block
.... I review my wheel of life and goals each sunday. then build out a plan to advance my goals and block in the time to get those big items done. i am around the ENG company office most work days (like 10 to 4) to be President and be PE as needed. Sometimes i jet early, sometimes i work really late. Depends on what is needed and what I am excited about.

Key is to consistently 'get things done', even when you don't feel like it.

Same as the others .... it isn't work at this point. It is taking advantage of opportunity and helping others.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TheEngin33r

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Mar 29, 2022
I don't think you can achieve any level of success if you have the 9-5 slave mindset.

If you aim for "work-life balance" (whatever the hell that means), and you shut down your brain at 5 PM daily, and then you head straight to TikTok, Reddit, or other bullshit "entertainment" for the masses, don't be surprised if you end up in the 99% category.
This right here.

You have to do what everyone else is NOT doing and at some point, make the necessary sacrifices that will get you to where you want to be.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
556%
Apr 17, 2022
This right here.

You have to do what everyone else is NOT doing and at some point, make the necessary sacrifices that will get you to where you want to be.

And the craziest part about it all... is that I don't feel like I'm making any sacrifices. ;)

Browsing reddit would be a sacrifice. Watching bullshit on youtube all day would be a sacrifice.

I enjoy working hard the same way I enjoy lifting weights:

Sometimes the pain is excruciating. And this makes it even more fun.

View business as a challenge to be conquered, and life becomes a videogame. A highly addictive one.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Nov 21, 2016
Unless you're clocking in hours for a job, it shouldn't matter what day of the week it is. Your business' monetary value is proportional to the perceived value it provides which is proportional to the quality of work you put in.

I work 7 days a week on my own business and I couldn't care less what day it is until I have to for my job. The idea of letting a single day go by where I don't move my business forward is abhorrent to me. That's not to say it doesn't piss me off when things go wrong but I know I'm running a marathon, not a sprint.

If you're concerned about having 2 days off per week from your own business, then you need to evaluate your situation. Are you action-faking? Does your business suck? Is your problem a lack of discipline? For a lot of people like me who are still working, the weekend is the best chance to make the biggest strides, why would you ever waste it?

Last edited:

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
And, interestingly enough, 90% of the breakthroughs and the best ideas I've ever had happened when I was away from my desk, and technically "not working".
Not that anyone cares but this is a phenomenon called diffused mode of our brain. Our brain has two modes - focused (active concentration) and diffused (no active concentration). When you are in focused mode your 'horizon' of thoughts limit down to the work you are trying to do. But in diffused mode the horizon widens and you get really clever insights.

However this doesn't happen as one's scrolling through tiktok, youtube shorts etc. as the mind is too stimulated by the constant novel distractions

SSTrey

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
May 24, 2021
Do you guys work on weekend? I would guess that yes

If so, how do your organize the hours? For me, I use mostly sundays for work. 4-6hours.

And during weekdays, 2-3hours beside the 9-6 job to work on my dreams.

However, sometimes I think it's not much...

What do you guys think?
I have an 8-5. (Mon - Fri)
I gym 6-7.
Family time 7-9.
Freedom Fastlane time 9-midnight.
Sleep Midnight-6am.

Fri & Sat I focus on family time after work.
Sun is Freedom Fastlane time 2 - 8pm.

The balance things is overrated for sure. The above is my guideline for most of my time.
All depends what are the important things in your life.

To add to more time for Freedom Fastlane work, in btwn the above times, I find time whilst waiting for my gf who is shopping OR if she sleeps early then I head back to my work OR if my daughter needs to be picked up and I am waiting.
Also, I have not listened to the radio in about 4 yrs (learning podcasts whilst I drive), etc.

All these small bursts of time can be utilised and add up well to focus on my goals.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
I have an 8-5. (Mon - Fri)
I gym 6-7.
Family time 7-9.
Freedom Fastlane time 9-midnight.
Sleep Midnight-6am.

Fri & Sat I focus on family time after work.
Sun is Freedom Fastlane time 2 - 8pm.

The balance things is overrated for sure. The above is my guideline for most of my time.
All depends what are the important things in your life.

To add to more time for Freedom Fastlane work, in btwn the above times, I find time whilst waiting for my gf who is shopping OR if she sleeps early then I head back to my work OR if my daughter needs to be picked up and I am waiting.
Also, I have not listened to the radio in about 4 yrs (learning podcasts whilst I drive), etc.

All these small bursts of time can be utilised and add up well to focus on my goals.
How do you survive on ~5 hours of sleep ?

I couldn't Imagine anything less than 8 hours.

SSTrey

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
May 24, 2021

So I aim for 6 hrs of sleep ie. midnight - 6am.
Truthfully, I think 8hrs of sleep is way too much if your goal is to build a Fastlane for yourself, especially since we have day jobs right now & time is limited.

Also, Sat morning you can sleep-in to catch up on your body's rest. That's what I do if need be.
Working out/gymming & eating right also helps the body to sleep better in a shorter timeframe.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
So I aim for 6 hrs of sleep ie. midnight - 6am.
Truthfully, I think 8hrs of sleep is way too much if your goal is to build a Fastlane for yourself, especially since we have day jobs right now & time is limited.

Also, Sat morning you can sleep-in to catch up on your body's rest. That's what I do if need be.
Working out/gymming & eating right also helps the body to sleep better in a shorter timeframe.
I won't tell you what to do, but knowing the health consequences of sleep deprivation, especially over the long therm, I am not ready to sacrifice sleep.

I'd much rather sacrifice dedicated family time for a few years or reduce work hours.

To be truthful, my main issue is that I don't have enough to do. Ads take time to run, website is done and with centimeter thick ice on my car, going outside to get more customers isn't really possible.

TheEngin33r

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Mar 29, 2022

You know, experts say one should get between 7-9 hours of sleep at night.

I personally, on average, get 6 hours. On average because there are days that I have slept more than that; however, I have found that I can perform at my best with 5-6 hours of quality rest. I do put a lot of effort into caring for my body/health (avoid junk food as much as possible, very limited consumption of alcohol, etc.)

So I would say that the amount of sleep required would vary from individual to individual.

I do agree that it's better to sacrifice family time than the time needed to rest.

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
And, interestingly enough, 90% of the breakthroughs and the best ideas I've ever had happened when I was away from my desk, and technically "not working".

Not that anyone cares but this is a phenomenon called diffused mode of our brain. Our brain has two modes - focused (active concentration) and diffused (no active concentration). When you are in focused mode your 'horizon' of thoughts limit down to the work you are trying to do. But in diffused mode the horizon widens and you get really clever insights.

However this doesn't happen as one's scrolling through tiktok, youtube shorts etc. as the mind is too stimulated by the constant novel distractions
From Wikipedia: In psychology, incubation refers to the unconscious processing of problems, when they are set aside for a period of time, that may lead to insights.

The incubation effect was how my marketing went viral on Facebook.

My first business was in the self-publishing industry. I was socializing with my friends, business wasn't the subject of our conversation. It was my "off time".

I came up with an idea to market a horror novel as a historical murder case cover-up. A way of differentiation from all the horror novels in the market. It was a success.

I guess what David Ogilvy said was right:

"Big ideas come from the unconscious. This is true in art, in science and in advertising. But your unconscious has to be well informed, or your idea will be irrelevant. Stuff your conscious mind with information, then unhook your rational thought process. You can help this process by going for a long walk, or taking a hot bath, or drinking half a pint of claret."

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
556%
Apr 17, 2022
From Wikipedia: In psychology, incubation refers to the unconscious processing of problems, when they are set aside for a period of time, that may lead to insights.

The incubation effect was how my marketing went viral on Facebook.

My first business was in the self-publishing industry. I was socializing with my friends, business wasn't the subject of our conversation. It was my "off time".

I came up with an idea to market a horror novel as a historical murder case cover-up. A way of differentiation from all the horror novels in the market. It was a success.

I guess what David Ogilvy said was right:
The brain improves exactly in the same way as muscles do - all progress happens outside the "gym". Training is mandatory. But you only become stronger while you're resting and recovering.

Want to improve your brain, learn 10 times faster, and make better business choices?

Alternate between maximum intensity cognitive work, and states of deep relaxation.

Work and focus as hard as you can, then go for a walk and feel the knowledge sinking in and permeating every layer of your subconscious mind.

The 16 h / day Sigma Grindset bros have got it all backward.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Nov 21, 2016
The brain improves exactly in the same way as muscles do - all progress happens outside the "gym". Training is mandatory. But you only become stronger while you're resting and recovering.

Want to improve your brain, learn 10 times faster, and make better business choices?

Alternate between maximum intensity cognitive work, and states of deep relaxation.

Work and focus as hard as you can, then go for a walk and feel the knowledge sinking in and permeating every layer of your subconscious mind.

To add to this: the sleeping process is what solidifies learned information and gives you a full recharge on motivation and energy. If you sleep like shit, then your work output will be shit.

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
I had to Google what the hell that means, though. :happy: I have no idea why my social media accounts didn't feature fads and current trends. Not that I care much... Hahaha..

I should spend more time feeding Mark Suckerfuck's algorithm.

BlackLands

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jun 5, 2019

Did you attend the course on Coursera by Barbara Oakley? Learning how to learn..

SnowLava

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 7, 2023
India
Did you attend the course on Coursera by Barbara Oakley? Learning how to learn..
No i read the book of the same name :D . I am a nerd about these things haha

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.