The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Will smoking weed make me lazy/hurt my (good) mindset?

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

They are simply afraid that my business will not work. I have told them about MJ's books and my dad is actually reading TMF (that I bought him) and he enjoys it. My mom, however, thinks its a load of bullsh*t, but that's understandable because she gets paid for her time.

/offtopic

@Kak's response in succinct.

The only thing I'll add here is let your RESULTS do the talking, not you.
You have a lot more to prove by going against the grain.

Here's another thing I'll add that I used to struggle with a lot.

Beyond this forum, I think you need to find someone IRL who can be a mentor. Someone older and successful who can vouch for you.

I was fairly deviant too and my parents worried about me.
It was a lot easier for them to feel at ease when...

1: I started showing results for what I was doing, and
2: Older, respectable people started acknowledging me for those results in front of parents.

Life gets much easier when someone respected says
"Yeah, I saw what xyz is doing. It's quite something!"

A parent's mood immediately shifts from worry to proud. Imagine that.
Who can you associate with that would make them proud?

I'm not too far removed from your age (21), so I get how it feels.
Sometimes it doesn't even leave in adulthood. Just keep getting results.

/ontopic

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

harp1600

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
May 12, 2018
United States
/offtopic

@Kak's response in succinct.

The only thing I'll add here is let your RESULTS do the talking, not you.
You have a lot more to prove by going against the grain.

Here's another thing I'll add that I used to struggle with a lot.

Beyond this forum, I think you need to find someone IRL who can be a mentor. Someone older and successful who can vouch for you.

I was fairly deviant too and my parents worried about me.
It was a lot easier for them to feel at ease when...

1: I started showing results for what I was doing, and
2: Older, respectable people started acknowledging me for those results in front of parents.

Life gets much easier when someone respected says
"Yeah, I saw what xyz is doing. It's quite something!"

A parent's mood immediately shifts from worry to proud. Imagine that.
Who can you associate with that would make them proud?

I'm not too far removed from your age (21), so I get how it feels.
Sometimes it doesn't even leave in adulthood. Just keep getting results.

/ontopic

I honestly don't know. I'm sure there's someone in my town that is crazy rich and follows CENTS in his/her business, but I've yet to find them.

My town has little progression so I think if its best to just say f*ck it and grind every day and just prove it myself. That's my opinion, though. What do you think?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I honestly don't know. I'm sure there's someone in my town that is crazy rich and follows CENTS in his/her business, but I've yet to find them.

My town has little progression so I think if its best to just say f*ck it and grind every day and just prove it myself. That's my opinion, though. What do you think?

Be that small town guy that owns everything and becomes mayor. haha!

Geekour

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Nov 27, 2017
TX
I would say no. Hell no. I have tried it twice in my life. Once, I didn't feel like it did anything at all. The second time I got paranoid and freaked out thinking I was stuck that way. It was really the opposite of an enjoyable experience.

Go try a cigar. It is a far more relaxing experience in my opinion. I can also count on 2 hands the amount of alcoholic beverages I consume in a given year.

I personally have not tried it that often either, Like three times, but I think you tried a strand that makes you more prone to paranoia. I had your same experience and another strand was more of a calming one. I'm no expert but I am sure the experience is very dependent on the type of strand consumed. Even then, it does nothing that productive.

In my opinion everyone should try psilocybin or LSD once in their life. It really gets the creative juices going if you go into the experience with intent. I think steve jobs gave some merit to LSD helping him when starting Apple. Either way, no form of mind altering plant can bring you all answers or success if you don't act on things.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Thank you, very much. I honestly agree fully with that. My peers are all more like apes than humans and I can't really see them getting much done in their lifetime.

I appreciate the response.

Another thing to keep in mind: Most of your peers today won't be your peers in ten years. Most people leave high school and keep only a handful of friends from those days - the rest they don't talk to until one day they forget about them completely.

Focus on becoming the person you want to be.

Ignore fitting in or trying to be cooler than everyone else. Your goal is to become yourself.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Weed kind of demotivates you in the long run (sometimes in the short run too). The other problem is that weed tends to attract people that are bad influences. If you aren't smart you can get easily pulled away from your goals. Lastly, if you like it, you might start spending a lot of money on it.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
I appreciate some of the advice, but I have a few things to say.

I have owned my business for a little year a year and a half now and everything has been good. Sales have been going up over time, everything good. But, I and my partner have been dealing with many problems along with business such as family, school, etc.

Can't speak for my partner, but my parents tell me that my business will never work and that I need to get a job almost every day(when I don't have time to do that when I have a business and school), and people at school come up to my face and tell me that I suck at what I do.

Emotions don't get to me but life is just hard sometimes, no matter the age. There are many other problems, but I'd rather not mention them as they are just a little too personal but nevertheless, I'd just like to let you know that I'm not a little pussy that has a little lemonade stand that cries to his mommy every 3 seconds.

Anyhow, I don't doubt I will have harder times, but I'd just like to share that with you.

I understand your feelings.

Even though you will have harder times, you can still feel bad/stressed/whatever about your current situation. But the question is if you're to succumb to the pressure and deal with it by drinking alcohol, smoking weed or any other external quick-fix. Or if you'll see it as an opportunity to grow stronger mentally.

If you have the time to pick up a book sometime, I'd recommend Gorilla Mindset. You're a minor and you don't have control over your parents and the people at your school. It sucks. So you need a way to deal with all that crap. I think the book helped me. And it's more of a workbook so you can quickly get started applying the principles to your own life.

Miorin

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 13, 2018
My friend José got depersonalization after smoking just 1 weed with the "rock guys". The effects lasted 2 years.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Don't smoke weed I'm speaking from experience. It's all fun and games in the beginning but if you want to make something of your life don't touch the crap.
^^ double that.

I lost my social skills, my quick whit & charm, and long-term / medium-term / short-term memory. It was so bad that sometimes you could tell me something, and 5 min. later I would have forgotten what I was told. I wouldn't be able to recall what the heck I did the days/weeks before. Quitting that shit was one of the BEST decisions I've ever made in my life. To be fair, I was smoking something more potent than weed; HASH, but still - I wouldn't recommend you get into that mind altering stuff.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
^^ double that.

I lost my social skills, my quick whit & charm, and long-term / medium-term / short-term memory. It was so bad that sometimes you could tell me something, and 5 min. later I would have forgotten what I was told. I wouldn't be able to recall what the heck I did the days/weeks before. Quitting that sh*t was one of the BEST decisions I've ever made in my life. To be fair, I was smoking something more potent than weed; HASH, but still - I wouldn't recommend you get into that mind altering stuff.

All of the above for me to.

I can still pull it off but it isn't seamless and easy like before. People don't realise how bad it can F*ck you up. Best decision I ever made was to put it down. I am getting better though all the time. It's not like you think it'll happen but it can and it does, that's why I cringe when I see people going down the same path and I know what's waiting but they keep walking towards the fire.

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014
Can't speak for my partner, but my parents tell me that my business will never work and that I need to get a job almost every day(when I don't have time to do that when I have a business and school), and people at school come up to my face and tell me that I suck at what I do.

I wouldn't worry about this. Once you're older and your business is more established and successful, this stuff all tends to stop. Instead, people will begin to respect you for it. Some will even be curious and ask lots of questions. Just focus and do what you have to do to make it work, and the rest will take care of itself.

They are simply afraid that my business will not work. I have told them about MJ's books and my dad is actually reading TMF (that I bought him) and he enjoys it. My mom, however, thinks its a load of bullsh*t, but that's understandable because she gets paid for her time.

When I was 18, after reading TMF and several other books and before I had any sort of business success, I always felt the need to try and force my ideas on the people around me, especially my parents. Later, I realized that I was just trying to convince myself that it was possible and didn't want to hear any sh*t they had to say to the contrary, because I was afraid it'd get it my head.

Now I don't try to force it on anyone. If someone is curious and asks, I'll gladly talk to them, but I won't bother trying to convince anyone if they think it's all a load of BS. They're free to live their life however they want; everyone has different priorities in life and entrepreneurship isn't right for everyone.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@harp1600 - just want to say that you're wise beyond your teenager years would indicate.

Thank you for being here and for sharing your question.

harp1600

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
May 12, 2018
United States
@harp1600 - just want to say that you're wise beyond your teenager years would indicate.

Thank you for being here and for sharing your question.
Sorry, I've been with my family for a while. Just got home to this! Thank you so much!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

Edwin Fernandez

Freedom
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Feb 7, 2018
Don't smoke, it'll kill your ambition, everything will seem fine at first, and you will trick yourself into thinking it is doing your business no harm, but slowly it will change your personality and take the "fire from your belly". It makes you very comfortable with your situation, not what you need if you are trying to better your life and elevate to the next level.

Do it after you have "made it", and have the luxury of exploring consciousness and the fabric of reality without concern for earning money.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I don’t really care if other people do drugs, but to me it’s just an escape from your life.

My thought is why not create a life that you don’t want to escape in the first place?

As Grant Cardone says (used to be an addict), “If I’m competing against someone whose high, I’m gonna f*cking crush them!”

Disciple96

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Mar 5, 2016
USA
If I could change one thing in my life, it would be the fact I smoked so much damn weed. Don't even go down that path...

Like alcohol or cigarettes, you're unlikely to enjoy weed the first, second, or even the third time you smoke it. But just like with all drugs... the more you try it, the more it grows on you.

I extremely reccomend avoiding it. Not just with weed, with ALL drugs. You'll thank yourself in the long run.

Don't be afraid of them though. You're young, you're curious... one time won't hurt you. But keep it natural, if you're going to use cannabis, eat it. Don't smoke, dab, or vape. Also stay away from synthetic drugs such as LSD. Naturally occurring drugs can have medicinal qualities, both for your spiritual and mental, but too much of anything is a bad thing.

baguvix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Sep 9, 2018
Dont start with it, I smoked it last year with friend rarely. At first you have some funs but then its just a time waster. I stopped because I started to forgot things and feel dumb. Go 100% biz focus.

Disciple96

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Mar 5, 2016
USA
To quote my favorite rapper, and possibly the GOAT, Kendrick Lamar:

"Love won't get you high as this
Drugs won't get you high as this
Fame won't get you high as this
Chains won't get you high as this
Juice won't get you high as this
Crew won't get you high as this
Hate won't get you high as this
Levitate, levitate, levitate, levitate."

- Untitled 07 - (Untitled unmastered.)

He is saying that none of these things will ever be able to get you high like success will. Keep chasing that dream, you're still so young.

One more thing... drugs are not the only thing that gets you "high".

ANYTHING that releases dopamine will have an effect on your brain just like drugs. There is no difference, your brain can not tell the difference between social media and heroin, one just has horrible physical repurcussions. To your brain, it is all the same.

Whether it's YouTube, Social media, sex/masturbation, music, reading (see: action faking), or even CARBOHYDRATES, (yes, carbs are just like drugs), anything that gives you that short-term feeling of reward, or a hit of dopamine, are all horrible for your focus and long-term determination.

Eliminate as many sources of instant gratification, dopamine hits, as you can from your daily life and you will begin to have no choice but to produce, as opposed to consume.

Consider doing a dopamine fast to discover just exactly what it feels like to live naturally. That means you aren't allowed to do anything but think and write down your thoughts, for 24 hours. Not even eating, or if you must eat, one meal of something basic and natural like steak and eggs.

Anyways, rambling on at this point. I hope you take what I'm saying to heart, OP.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
My business partner (also friend) and I are skeptical about trying marijuana for the first time this upcoming weekend. We are considering trying it because we've been grinding for weeks now on our online business and we want to take a small break to enjoy our youth and experiment with something new. However, we wanted to ask FLF if it would affect us negatively in the long run first. So, are there any long-term effects that make it not worth it? Looking for unbiased opinions on this question so feel free to comment your opinion. Thank you all.
The human brain develops until you are around 23 years old. How can it develop at its best IF you choose to use something that slows it down? We don't know right now what it actually does to the structure. What if science finds that any results are permanent?

(Like the genetic problems in one's offsprings that resulted from using with LSD in the 1960s and 1970s)?

In the beginning, people smoking that stuff become slower than mellow. They linger way below average achievements in a half stupor. They don't wanna work. They don't wanna think. They just wanna eat a lot and do nothing. That's the recipe for fat and half asleep. Is that where you wanna go with your life?

And , they after years of using, they become like an old drunk -- lose their fine motor skills -- slur their words -- can't think -- poop their pants... It's all very appealing. My generation calls them "Ol Stoners". And I've personally noticed that many of them die young.

I know that people tell you that weed can't hurt you. I know they believe that. Maybe when they live longer, they'll change their minds -- if they still have one.

Edwin Fernandez

Freedom
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Feb 7, 2018
If I could change one thing in my life, it would be the fact I smoked so much damn weed. Don't even go down that path...

Like alcohol or cigarettes, you're unlikely to enjoy weed the first, second, or even the third time you smoke it. But just like with all drugs... the more you try it, the more it grows on you.

I extremely reccomend avoiding it. Not just with weed, with ALL drugs. You'll thank yourself in the long run.

Don't be afraid of them though. You're young, you're curious... one time won't hurt you. But keep it natural, if you're going to use cannabis, eat it. Don't smoke, dab, or vape. Also stay away from synthetic drugs such as LSD. Naturally occurring drugs can have medicinal qualities, both for your spiritual and mental, but too much of anything is a bad thing.

I'd def recommend NOT, I REPEAT NOT, eating cannabis as a newbie. It is very easy to over-do it. You'll be in a BAD place for a long time with no escape hatch.

Disciple96

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Mar 5, 2016
USA
You'll be in a BAD place for a long time with no escape hatch.

Well, I only say that because it's the healthiest method of using it.

Like I said, I completely recommend against doing it at all. But if you must... eating is the way to go.

I mean, I could totally go into the best ways to prepare it so that you mitigate the chance of a bad experience... but this isn't really the place to talk about it. But if kid does his research, it wouldn't be that hard to prepare a dose that would be suitable for a first-timer. Also set+setting take precedent.

Anywho, I'm kind of undermining myself here. Drugs are bad, mmkay?

AniM

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Apr 11, 2018
DC
OP I want to share my experience with you, even though you've already made your decision (which is a good one).

I was basically straight edge until I turned 21. Most of my friends drank in high school or in college before they turned 21, but I held out. Part of it was that I was brainwashed from public schooling, and part was that I had just "decided to", and didn't want to go back on my word. I'm glad I did this, as I probably avoided a lot of trouble in my early college years by not drinking.

However I was addicted to video games instead.

When I started drinking, it was fun but nothing amazing. I didn't get addicted or have any struggles with it, but some of my friends did. Alcohol is very dangerous. Don't take it lightly just because it's society's accepted drug. It is much worse for you than weed.

In grad school, I was introduced to weed. I like alcohol just fine, but I loved weed almost right away. The first time I got high, my mind was racing a mile a minute. There was a little paranoia, sure, but mostly it was just exciting. Everything was so interesting, I had so many creative ideas. I began to love music and art even more. My stress and anxieties went away and I felt so much better.

So I smoked more, usually with my friends, and we had a blast. I have a lot of good memories of hanging out smoking, playing games or watching movies or anime. It was a good time.

But that environment I was in made smoking weed all too easy. All my roommates smoked, so it started to become a regular thing.

My tolerance went down after I started using it regularly. At some point I wasn't getting as high as I wanted to. So I began to smoke more! At one point I was a daily smoker, although this didn't last very long.

My productivity TANKED. There were days where I was high the whole day. My homework, chores, nothing seemed important or got done. Lots of time wasted, all for the short-term good feeling of being high.

Now, during this short time period of my life, I also experimented with psychedelics. They had a profound effect on me and changed my worldview. I cannot understate how big of an impact they had on me. I had to face a lot of my fears and disappointments, and it reinvigorated my ambitions.

Eventually, I realized weed was a bad habit, and I started cutting back. I quit entirely for a while, and I got back to my regular, productive self. I was not physically addicted mind you, but it had a psychological pull on me, the same way gaming, fast food, or porn has on some people.

Now I am able to enjoy it (very rarely) in moderation, the same way sensible people enjoy a glass of wine or two with dinner occasionally or a few beers at a party. Not everyone can get to the point I am at though. One of my friends became a total fiend, smokes all the time. I have no idea how he does it honestly.

Once I got serious about my life goals and entrepreneurship, I knew I had to cut out bad habits like video games and weed. If you can find moderation to work for you, then great. But for a lot of people, deciding to just not do it at all is much easier. It is hard to control yourself with something that gives your brain immediate pleasure.

My advice to you is, stay away from all drugs while you're young. Your brain is still developing and you are easily influenced. Wait until you're fully grown and you can try it. Weed is really fun, at least for me. Some hate it, some love it.

It can make you very creative, relaxed, and happy. But it can make you lazy, unproductive, and stifle your ambitions too. Everyone responds differently to it, and everyone has different addictive tendencies.

I think life is too short to not try different things out. But that's just my worldview, everyone gets to make their own decisions. Just be careful with potentially life-destroying habits if you have struggles with addiction. This includes gambling, drinking, fast food, etc.

Get addicted to good stuff like meditating, exercise, and reading. Seriously if you do those things every day and turn them into habits you will transform your life. I know because I have started doing them in the past year.

Eliminate as many sources of instant gratification, dopamine hits, as you can from your daily life and you will begin to have no choice but to produce, as opposed to consume.

Consider doing a dopamine fast to discover just exactly what it feels like to live naturally. That means you aren't allowed to do anything but think and write down your thoughts, for 24 hours. Not even eating, or if you must eat, one meal of something basic and natural like steak and eggs.

Can you tell me about your experience with dopamine fasting? I heard of the concept recently and it seems intriguing. What benefits did you notice?

Also I agree with most of your post. Everything is just neurochemicals to your brain.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I have a really low tolerance to weed. Doesn't take much to make me want to fall asleep or green out lol. Have to be honest, I saw it negatively affect a lot of friends lives when in my late teens and early 20s. Big time. And the guys that smoked hydro went mushy in the brain.. More than before they started smoking hydro everyday anyway...

That said, I really enjoy having it a few times a year. Usually before I watch a movie lol. Bright lights and socialising though - forget it.

I'd probably not recommend seeing how the experiment works out for you, just in case. At least till you have all your shit together anyway.

Rob Tennant

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Dec 29, 2013
I agree that < 25years old probably not a good idea.

I have a medical license to buy weed legally. The first time I ever smoked was about a year ago (I'm 41). I use it to help me sleep and for chronic pain (no more pain pills for me!) At first I hated it, then I tried a couple different strains and finally found one that agreed with me. It's not as binary as I hate/love weed, there are so many diff strains with very different effects. It is way more healthy than alcohol, and the effects are temporary. It's been a good additional tool in my toolbox, but it's not for everyone. If anything Ive noticed an uptick in my productivity, probably due to sleeping better. Just my .02

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
This is really the info that I didn’t know I needed . I just recently put myself into a position where I could go down that purposeless weedhead life

D

Deleted50470

Lot's of great advice here, and you could probably slice down the middle of it and arrive at a sane answer. Whether to try it or not, really depends on you. If you have an addictive personality, stay away from any altered state mechanism such as weed or alcohol. If you can rationally try it to see if you like it, then it may provide some benefits depending on what you're looking for. Though, like anything else, whatever you decide to do, be sure it's legal where you are.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.