Momentum
PARKED
I haven't been an active poster here since joining earlier this year, but I have read nearly everything that has been posted and can't begin to quantify what I have learned and gained from the members that share their experiences and thoughts on these forums.
With that being said, I was going back through MJ's book this morning and was hit by a possibility that I had not previously considered. I would appreciate some input on it, but first let me provide some brief background details.
I am currently in the final semester of my undergraduate program. I spent January - April of this year interning with the Audit & Financial Advisory department of a large public accounting firm. After the internship, the firm offered me a full time job with them for when I get done with graduate school. After doing my homework and realizing that the offered salary was very competitive, I accepted and agreed to begin work in September of 2013.
My thinking at that time was that I could go to work, continue to live frugally (I am the self-crowned King of Frugality, as anti-fastlane as that may seem) save at least 60% of my income while maintaining consumer-debt-free lifestyle, and either apply that income along the way to a fastlane project or save it for a future plan, and then get out after a few years unscathed. At the time, it signified an open door to my dream of starting a fast lane business.
Fast-forward to today. I have spent the last couple of months working feverishly on the website for a business that I am trying to get off of the ground by the first of the year. And as I read this morning, it hit me that perhaps the job isn't going the be the gateway to freedom that I had hoped. It isn't that I am afraid of becoming complacent in a decent paying job and losing motivation to attain my true goals. I'm too discontent spending my entire day following someone else's schedule to become complacent doing so.
My fear is that I will be wasting my time there, and that the money isn't as beneficial in a startup as I had envisioned.
Perhaps I would be better off working a part-time job, breaking even financially, and putting as many hours into a fastlane project as my body will allow. Perhaps the time traded (60+ hours a week) in public accounting is too much to make the benefit of the added pay worthwhile to my long term goals.
With the fear that I've made the wrong decision weighing on me, I'd love to hear some input. Whether you've faced a similar decision in the past, or have an opinion on how you would respond if you faced it in the future, please share some thoughts with me on this subject as I try to form more concrete ideas.
With that being said, I was going back through MJ's book this morning and was hit by a possibility that I had not previously considered. I would appreciate some input on it, but first let me provide some brief background details.
I am currently in the final semester of my undergraduate program. I spent January - April of this year interning with the Audit & Financial Advisory department of a large public accounting firm. After the internship, the firm offered me a full time job with them for when I get done with graduate school. After doing my homework and realizing that the offered salary was very competitive, I accepted and agreed to begin work in September of 2013.
My thinking at that time was that I could go to work, continue to live frugally (I am the self-crowned King of Frugality, as anti-fastlane as that may seem) save at least 60% of my income while maintaining consumer-debt-free lifestyle, and either apply that income along the way to a fastlane project or save it for a future plan, and then get out after a few years unscathed. At the time, it signified an open door to my dream of starting a fast lane business.
Fast-forward to today. I have spent the last couple of months working feverishly on the website for a business that I am trying to get off of the ground by the first of the year. And as I read this morning, it hit me that perhaps the job isn't going the be the gateway to freedom that I had hoped. It isn't that I am afraid of becoming complacent in a decent paying job and losing motivation to attain my true goals. I'm too discontent spending my entire day following someone else's schedule to become complacent doing so.
My fear is that I will be wasting my time there, and that the money isn't as beneficial in a startup as I had envisioned.
Perhaps I would be better off working a part-time job, breaking even financially, and putting as many hours into a fastlane project as my body will allow. Perhaps the time traded (60+ hours a week) in public accounting is too much to make the benefit of the added pay worthwhile to my long term goals.
With the fear that I've made the wrong decision weighing on me, I'd love to hear some input. Whether you've faced a similar decision in the past, or have an opinion on how you would respond if you faced it in the future, please share some thoughts with me on this subject as I try to form more concrete ideas.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
