The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why do i feel like shit

Kuda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jul 11, 2014
Hi Everyone

I read fast lane millionaire six months ago. and I have been trying to follow the advice. Well at first I thought it was easy I didn't realise that it will be this hard. I been working hard trying to build something for myself. So far I am learning programming and marketing to build an app. Before anyone gets at me about programming I have a programming background hence I like to program. To continue the story I work hard like everyday I read almost 5 hours a day bear in mind I also have a full-time job. However lately I just realised I don't have any friends, every girl I used to talk to has left me and moved to some other guy. I am actually quite depressed, I have no friends any more. What do I do. Trying to be rich means also being lonely is it worthy it. Does life get better when I have more time. I have no time at the moment to even do anything. I feel like I'm missing out on my youth age. I am 22 at the moment.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BlueAtom

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jan 17, 2015
Hi Everyone

I read fast lane millionaire six months ago. and I have been trying to follow the advice. Well at first I thought it was easy I didn't realise that it will be this hard. I been working hard trying to build something for myself. So far I am learning programming and marketing to build an app. Before anyone gets at me about programming I have a programming background hence I like to program. To continue the story I work hard like everyday I read almost 5 hours a day bear in mind I also have a full-time job. However lately I just realised I don't have any friends, every girl I used to talk to has left me and moved to some other guy. I am actually quite depressed, I have no friends any more. What do I do. Trying to be rich means also being lonely is it worthy it. Does life get better when I have more time. I have no time at the moment to even do anything. I feel like I'm missing out on my youth age. I am 22 at the moment.

Hi Kuda, I occasionally go through the same thing your experiencing. I am in my mid twenties, never dated, my thinking is always business oriented. But let me tell you, you are not missing out on anything. What you are building now, will last you your whole life. Friends are important, and I sure your bound to find some here. You seem very intelligent, just keep your goal in mind and keep moving.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
You need balance, what do you read 5 hours a day? Cut down on it a bit if it's not mandatory for whatever reason.

Kuda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jul 11, 2014
Hi Kuda, I occasionally go through the same thing your experiencing. I am in my mid twenties, never dated, my thinking is always business oriented. But let me tell you, you are not missing out on anything. What you are building now, will last you your whole life. Friends are important, and I sure your bound to find some here. You seem very intelligent, just keep your goal in mind and keep moving.
Thank you for the motivation. I hope things go well for you as well

Kuda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jul 11, 2014
You need balance, what do you read 5 hours a day? Cut down on it a bit if it's not mandatory for whatever reason.
Sorry I didn't mention this but where I work I don't get much work to do, hence in my free time I build my business

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Hi Everyone

I was actually in a similar position a few years back. I worked a 9-5 and had no friends in my city and worked 8 hours in a coffee shop after work to re-learn how to program and learn the latest techs people in Silicon Valley use for web apps. I know where you are coming from, and how you feel.

One thing I would say is that getting rich is NOT lonely. If it is, for you, then you are doing it wrong.

There are other people trying to get rich who need your help. There are potential clients, customers, etc. that need your help and you need to talk with them. You need to help them. You need to serve them. You need to be a friend to them...not just a friend, but their BEST friend!

Really wealthy people are best friends with other people who help them and make them money, and who they help to make money. The road to wealth is one that should be travelled with many other people.

With that said, have you met with any other people on your path in person? Have you met with other people who you may serve and tried to serve them?

I have a feeling these things could be very rewarding for you. :)

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
Sorry I didn't mention this but where I work I don't get much work to do, hence in my free time I build my business
So you read stuff on your business in your work?

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
So go hang out with some old friends. Rekindle some relationships. Devote a set amount of time each day to your business, and stick to it. Spend the rest of your time living your life.

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
Hi Everyone

Another perspective for you Kuda.

I spent most of my 20s (I'm 29 now) pursuing sidewalk "wealth" at my jobs, chasing commissions and spending them on motorbikes, new toys and going out every night. If I had a big month in the pipeline I'd end up spending the money before it even hit my bank account, and then using the commission to pay off my credit card. A five figure paycheque and nothing to show for it. Sure I've had a ton of fun, and I used to even love my job, but I don't really have anything at all to show for the last several years of work except a better standard of living financed by debt and job-slavery. A series of revelations and quarter-life crises this past year - and this forum - has shown me there's a better way.

Imagine where YOU'LL be when you're 29.

Still - you need friends and a life outside working. What's your environment like? I left the smallish town I enjoyed living in for five years because I got fed up of the lack of ambition that pervaded the place. That move has opened up a whole wealth of both opportunity and like-minded people to meet.

Winter

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
900%
Feb 24, 2014
What you need is a breather. Like what was said previously, rekindle some friendships. Your health & sanity are important. Is all this sacrifice worth it? Well, I've got a nice quote that fits your question.

entrepreneurship.jpg

Now try asking yourself "Is that worth it?".

Kuda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jul 11, 2014
Another perspective for you Kuda.

I spent most of my 20s (I'm 29 now) pursuing sidewalk "wealth" at my jobs, chasing commissions and spending them on motorbikes, new toys and going out every night. If I had a big month in the pipeline I'd end up spending the money before it even hit my bank account, and then using the commission to pay off my credit card. A five figure paycheque and nothing to show for it. Sure I've had a ton of fun, and I used to even love my job, but I don't really have anything at all to show for the last several years of work except a better standard of living financed by debt and job-slavery. A series of revelations and quarter-life crises this past year - and this forum - has shown me there's a better way.

Imagine where YOU'LL be when you're 29.

Still - you need friends and a life outside working. What's your environment like? I left the smallish town I enjoyed living in for five years because I got fed up of the lack of ambition that pervaded the place. That move has opened up a whole wealth of both opportunity and like-minded people to meet.
Well here is the situation I finished university like 6 months ago. All my friends at university where party animals including myself, hence I had to leave them and moved back home. After a month of search, I got a job as a developer. This might be slowlaner to some people but believe or not my manager pays me to learn so I spend most of my time at work learning programming and marketing. I feel guilty because I will leave the company soon, but then again I have to chase my dreams.

Its just sometimes when I look at my snap-chat and Facebook. I see all my friends enjoying life going to all these places and I'm just at work studying. It kills inside.

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
Well here is the situation I finished university like 6 months ago. All my friends at university where party animals including myself, hence I had to leave them and moved back home. After a month of search, I got a job as a developer. This might be slowlaner to some people but believe or not my manager pays me to learn so I spend most of my time at work learning programming and marketing. I feel guilty because I will leave the company soon, but then again I have to chase my dreams.

Its just sometimes when I look at my snap-chat and Facebook. I see all my friends enjoying life going to all these places and I'm just at work studying. It kills inside.

If I were in your shoes, I'd still be enjoying life with my friends but in moderation and not to the detriment of your purpose.

I'd also start looking for new friends who are walking a similar path. Dual purpose friends are awesome, they can help you get shit done and also share a well-earned beer now and then!

Michał Kóska

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jan 10, 2015

Well, looking from the other side.. Your friends are spending the money living in the slowlane. You are trying to do everything to avoid it. Think about the future- where you will be? I'm sure your friends will be still in the same point and you will advance in your wealth. I'm 24 years old, I have lovely wife and son. I work in a corporation Mon-Fri and really spend the rest of my time learing, looking for the opportunities and I devote my time to the family too. I don't have time for friends, I also rarely go out to some places. I will sacrifice SOME to get A LOT in the future. Nothing comes easy, if it would, then everyone would be super rich sitting at home doing nothing. Keep your head up my friend!

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA

ugh, I know how you feel. You should reduce the amount of time you spend on Facebook and Snap-chat. Try Deleting it for a month and focus on making yourself happy instead! Just a suggestion.

Last edited:

gostorm21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Sep 9, 2014

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Are you sure the reason why your friends and girls are leaving you is because you're too busy and not because you have shitty friends? There's real friends, and friends who only exist because they wanna hang out with you. The former will stick with you no matter how busy you are, assuming you actually take the time to shoot a text every now and then. A buddy of mine was once "too busy" and I didn't see him for a year, but now we talk and hang out occasionally and it's all good.

No, getting rich doesn't have to be lonely. I sometimes use entrepreneurship as an excuse for not socializing, but the real reason is because I'm an anti-social hermit. You can have a social life and get rich, bro.

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014

Dude, don't trust anything you see on Facebook. People can post anything they want, so you can bet your a$$ that they are posting things that will try to gain attention to their "great lives".

But its artificial. It helped me a lot when I simply deleted my personal social media.

FlamingRemedy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Oct 24, 2013
Ninjakid speaks the truth. Some of your friends may not have really have been genuine, it's tough to accept but sometimes that's just how things are. I'm 19 and know where you're coming from. Thankfully I still have my cousins and best friend, our ties are tougher than steel. I found my path and am steadily growing, I'm sure you will too. Get rid of distractions but be sure to take part in the things YOU enjoy doing, don't make yourself miserable, clear your mind.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012

There's actually no reason to blame entrepreneurship pursuits to having no social life.

True, some hardcore members might advocate the opposite. And on principle, I agree with them. But we can't all be ascetic monks. I need to date, party, and drink occasionally to balance my full time job, exercise, reading and programming that I do on my own time.

The real reason your social life is in decline, is because you're letting yourself do the same. That's why you feel like garbage all the time. Let's be real here, you're not really getting any work done anyway, since it's so damn hard to sustain productivity without a positive mood. So don't blame your pursuit of fastlane for the fact that...

And I'm blind guessing here, tell me how close I am:

1) You don't workout
2) You haven't spontaneously approached an attractive girl in +1 year(s)
3) You're not close with childhood best friends anymore

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
You have to strengthen the social muscle once again. It is easy to withdraw from people when you feel you need to achieve something, and put that as the 'every moment' goal. Don't do this. The most sane and long-lasting writers I know figured out the time per day they must write, and ENJOYED the rest of the day.

Don David

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 19, 2015
Your friends are spending the money living in the slowlane. ......I don't have time for friends, I also rarely go out to some places. I will sacrifice SOME to get A LOT in the future. Nothing comes easy, if it would, then everyone would be super rich sitting at home doing nothing. Keep your head up my friend!

This is really spot on advice. I find I cannot even talk to many members in my own family any longer. We're just on divergent life paths. It's like we don't even speak the same language/ have the same vocabulary any longer. I'll say something very mild about goal acquisition, some great tidbit from Jim Rohn or whatever, and they'll go off on how society isn't fair and blah blah blah.

I've also got a wife and two young kids. I think it's time I focus exclusively on them, and the people that I'm going to mold them into, so we can talk about this kind of stuff together when they get older. It's not that I don't have time for friends (though I don't really) it's that I'm not on the same trajectory as some others around me and I don't want to get pulled down into their negativity.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Dude, take a break or you'll blow a gasket. Mark Cuban used to work 12 hours a day, and every few weeks would take some time off and go party somewhere.

For me I like to take time off every 3-4 months and just chill out for a week somewhere.
We're emotional creatures and need to rest. Rest your emotions, experience some new shit, then come back with a fresh mindset.

It's like breathing, you can't constantly exhale all day long. At some point you need to inhale.

Discipline, not deprivation like @csalvato said.

P.s also reading 5 hours a day will drive you nuts, atleast it did that to me. Too much info intake, fill your head up like a balloon with thoughts. You need time to relax, think and digest.

Stress is not required for progress. Use the Pareto Principle, stating all 80% of progress come from just 20% of actions. Just Take 2 actions every day that would bring 80% of progress.

Hope that helps

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Kuda - two observations.

1) let's fastforward 5 years - you have a successful company and you're looking to hire a sale manager. Are you going to hire the guy who says "I have 5 years of real world experience" or the guy who says "for the last few years I've read between 3-5 hours per day about sales - but I haven't done much actual selling"?

2) There is no such thing as business to business, business to consumer, etc. It's all person/people to person/people. There are human beings behind everything, and in order to be successful you need to get good at dealing with other humans. That means that, whether it's forced or not at this point, you need to get out of your apartment and actually interact with real people in a real, open, vulnerable way.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Go to meetup.com and join some random group. It can be something you don't even like to do! Just get out there and do something new!

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia

Stop comparing your behind-the-scenes with your friends highlight reels.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
Stop comparing your behind-the-scenes with your friends highlight reels.
This post is on another level, give me more wisdom.:pompus:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Well at first I thought it was easy

You feel like shit because you thought it was going to be easy, and you found out, it isn't. Expectations are like that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.