The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why are Doctors such a$$ holes?

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
what is it about doctors that makes 99% of them douchebags??? are they born this way or do they get trained in the fine art of doucheyness? is it the fact that they think they are better then others? smarter? the power trip?

idk but I have seen and encountered many many doctors in my short life...and 99% or more have some kind of issue going on. and I cant take it anymore.

I have only ever found 1 doctor that I liked. and sadly he left his practice to go serve his country. lucky for the country and air force soldiers. not so much for me :(

I just want to say screw it and never go to another doctor ever again!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
really? I havent had much experience with lawyers. the few I have had were mostly good.

I wouldnt think a lawyer would have that much leverage over someone like a doctor does. its that leverage that allows them to act like that.

I guess it depends on the type of lawyer! see even tho I know I need a doctor I am a strong enough woman to know not to allow others to mistreat me. reguardless of what I may or may not need from them. I am the cut my nose off to spite my face kind of person.

I told him exactly what I thought of him. AND IT FELT GREAT!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My doctor is about 80lbs overweight and his stomach protrudes outward from his waist nearly a foot.

My stomach is flat, I have a 12-15% body fat, my refrigerator is packed with healthy food, I never eat fast food, I'm at the gym 4X a week, play softball 2X a week -- and yet somehow it seems, every time I see him I get a lecture about "high cholesterol" (I'm always just slightly above 200) and how maybe I should think about medication.

WTF for? So I can look like him?

Paradox of Practice ... anyone?

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Every doc I know is pretty nice, and I have probably 10 docs cell numbers on my phone I can call at anytime. Even my primary...

I have met two in my lifetime I could say, thought they were all that, but that is usually not the norm.

Lawyers on the other hand are mostly arrogant pricks. The best part is, most of them are broke.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
My girlfriend, who's going to nursing school, has basically said the same thing. She thinks it's Dr. House's fault.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
I know what you mean! that hypocritism isnt even the major problem I have.(although that does bug me) I wont get into details here.

I am just really curious as to what makes these guys tick. I mean they deal with people all day everyday, you would think they would know how to read people and how to speak to them... to totally judge someone in the first 5 seconds your eyes meet is just wrong... I know most people do it but it hurts :(

which is why I try as hard as I can not to do it myself. to anyone EVER I know how it feels and it sucks.

yes I did judge him a douchbag(and told him that to his face) but only after he blatently was a douchebag. it wasnt a knee jerk judgement from laying eyes on him. he proved what he was with his actions! there is a difference!

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
That sucks! The only problem I have with my doctor is his surly office staff. F'n hate them. My doctor is a complete treat though - love that guy. Wish I could have you see him.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
see I could deal with dr house! I wish he was a doc in real life. he doesnt pull punches or deal with bs. when he asks a question he listens to the answer! hey thats like my old doc! OMG I MISS DR MATHEWS.

it is so hard to find a good doc who you get along with. I told him before he left, How dare you have a life beyond being my doctor! I would give anything for him to come back home :( seriously if it wasnt for my kids I would never step foot in another docs office again. i dont care that I am in pain. I can deal with pain. I cant deal with people like dr cornwell. Id rather suffer then kiss his a$$.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I was at a party this past weekend, and this guy was introduced to me by the host as "Dr. John Smith."

How pretentious. I don't introduce myself as "Entrepreneur John Smith."

As a society, why are some people so impressed with doctors? Aside from the clinic, why would anyone ever add someone's profession to an introduction?

Like, let me introduce you to CEO Fred Thomas. Baker Sally Smith. Unemployed Jim Lathe. Superintendent Harry Smother.

Seriously. Why do doctors feel the need to be doctors when they are not at their clinic? Doctors don't impress me.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
LOL I agree. how about dr's who introduce themselves as doctors but they are not medical? I am a doctor but not the kind that can help you! LOL

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
I was at a party this past weekend, and this guy was introduced to me by the host as "Dr. John Smith."

As a society, why are some people so impressed with doctors? Aside from the clinic, why would anyone ever add someone's profession to an introduction?

Like, let me introduce you to CEO Fred Thomas. Baker Sally Smith. Unemployed Jim Lathe. Superintendent Harry Smother.

Seriously. Why do doctors feel the need to be doctors when they are not at their clinic? Doctors don't impress me.

I deal with this on a regular basis in my line of work and it is the same for most (insert word) professors with PHds. We kind of set ourselves up to be taken advantage of by the heroes we create. I feel the same way about all of the hype around the royal family Monarchy.

Please explain to me why we glorify a family that has received hundreds of millions of dollars of public funds yet they do basically nothing for the public but spread cheer and good will? The news media calls it a fashion faux pas (however you spell it) that Kate Middleton might wear the same pair of shoes more than once (ghastly) yet Britain and it's people are not in the best of financial shape right now.

People line the streets for a diamond jubilee? News organizations lambast about boats in the river thames and over how well Harry dances yet the people keep getting poorer. America suffers from 8.5% unemployment yet we swoon over William's latest 10 million dollar inheritance. We do it to ourselves and have done so throughout history... "Let them eat cake"

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
LOL I agree. how about dr's who introduce themselves as doctors but they are not medical? I am a doctor but not the kind that can help you! LOL

That's EXACTLY what this was. When he was introduced as a DOCTOR, I told him that my arm had been hurting, and demonstrated it. The host then leaned over and whispered (I kid you NOT) : "he's a PHD." To which I then winked at him and said, "OK, Doc... I will make an appointment with your office next week then."

The host was mortified. I was entertained. The DOC was an a**hole with no sense of humor. :)

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
That sucks! The only problem I have with my doctor is his surly office staff. F'n hate them. My doctor is a complete treat though - love that guy. Wish I could have you see him.

I think there is a business in exactly that. Open a business that goes in and trains the staff on the customer service side and teach them how to relate more to the patient. Call back reports on time.

Do a 4 hour seminar for the whole staff all at once.

Once took my wife 2 days.. as in 48 hours to get a referral when she broke her finger. After no less than 20 phone calls. That doc's staff should of been shot.

Probably companies that do this already.. but I want to think I invented the idea. So don't steal it.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
well thats one of the things I had a problem with. the doc suspect something very very serious and life threatening going on and re ran blood work that the initally did in the er. of course he gave me all the worst case scenerios. this was monday july 2nd. july 3rd towards the end of the day I call in to check on my b/w I was told it wasnt back yet. ok they cant tell me what they dont know... sucks but the next day was a holiday, so there was no way I was getting any info on july 4th.

july 5th I call about 1pm. yes my blood tests have been back since idk when.(came back on july 4th) no I cant have the number untill the doc looks at it and verifys its a number... fine I know hes her boss not me. so do you know if someone will call me today? I am very anxious to know whats going on at this point its now been 4 days! idk when the doc can look at them. you will know the nurse will call when he does. so now its friday... I have many people waiting on these results who have been waiting since monday including myself. friday afternoon after lunch(about 3pm) I finally get the phone call with the test results.

I mean WTF?

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Well hopefully your test results are ok..

Guys.. add this section to the seminar. Why you should make a call to patients when they are sitting at home worried about the test results.. Even if you do not have the results back yet, just to put them at ease.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
At the Railroad EVERYONE is OBSESSED with their long a$$ title. Meh! The part that would kill me would be that the bigger the title, which also meant the bigger the pay, the more incorrect and poorly constructed the emails were. SMH

I really don't like going to professionals who don't visually display the look of what their profession entails.

I do not want to go to a hair stylist who never has her hair done. I do not go to a dentist who does not have PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT teeth.

I just can't take them seriously.

And the killer is I know that the way people LOOK does not NECCESSARILY have a bearing on how they will perform, but how you look in your work environment plays a part when deciding if I am going to go to you for your service and or expertise.

Imagine a surgeon with dirt finger nails! I don't want you doing my surgery!

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
I love doctors.

My back up plan is actually med school in case I go no where with my life. Plastic surgeon or dermatology. It's probably the only "serious" profession I can be happy about.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Doctors directly have knowledge of how to help people, and do it daily. They also know more than most people when it comes to deeper science. Add the traditional cultural bred respect, and a decent salary, and what's not to be smug about?

Interesting comment on lawyers being broke, how do you figure JE?

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Interesting comment on lawyers being broke, how do you figure JE?

Without getting into personal contacts I know.. It says here the median Salary of a lawyer is 92k.. So if I am reading this right half of the lawyers in the U.S. make less than 92k a year..

Salary.com Salary Wizard- Do you know what you're worth?

The median Salary of a family doctor is $175,379...

Salary.com Salary Wizard- Do you know what you're worth?

Now I don't think making 92k a year is living in the poor house, but when you account for most lawyers acting as if.. I think that is all it is.. acting as if..

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
I just want to say screw it and never go to another doctor ever again!

Same here. Did it.

what is it about doctors that makes 99% of them douchebags??? are they born this way or do they get trained in the fine art of doucheyness? is it the fact that they think they are better then others? smarter? the power trip?

Probably a bit of everything plus more. Have to be fair, met a few true experts, famous for their achievements, and they were all extremely cool to deal with, very friendly and down to earth.

My doctor is about 80lbs overweight and his stomach protrudes outward from his waist nearly a foot.

I had a doctor with such look, but at least not pushing healthy lifestyle on me neither:) . Once I asked him "hey doc, what's with the cigarettes" to which he replied "look, duration of your life is genetically predetermined and smoking can only affect it about 3% so I don't care about that 3% just enjoying life".

TAKEAWAY: I was told never to recommend a doctor, and now I pass this advice to ya'll:) The above mentioned doctor treated me real good, so I did recommend him to my friend - he had some operation, and everything went great. But later that year the place was shut down due to fatal incident during routine operation, and newspapers named it the CLINIC OF DEATH. So I ain't recommending nothing to no one any more.

Pretentious. How perfect word. Been in that situation a few times. It decreases their value in my eyes.
Btw.love the part about Phd doc:)

Ok, now my personal rant:

With due respect to good ones. Those who are in it for the mission, not money. They have my biggest respect.

So many of them are arrogant pricks. Non-experts. Wannabe businessmen. Ego tripping. Wasted youth on faculty,
and now taking it out on sisters and patients.

I'm into sports. So I hurt my arm, leg, ancle. I go and pay them. They examine me and tell they don't see anything,
and to just spare that part for a while. My grandma could give such advice.

You can see it in their eyes they don't care. They're in it only for the money and to feed their poor little egos.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Without getting into personal contacts I know.. It says here the median Salary of a lawyer is 92k.. So if I am reading this right half of the lawyers in the U.S. make less than 92k a year..

Now I don't think making 92k a year is living in the poor house, but when you account for most lawyers acting as if.. I think that is all it is.. acting as if..

Ah, about 75k away from broke, but I gotcha. I'll tell you one thing, my friend has made a killing selling websites to law firms, those guys can see the return on the money.

To me it doesn't matter how much money a lawyer makes, over and over again I hear just how horrible of a career choice it is.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
I had to post an update here LOL

I still hate almost the entire medical profession. (sorry I know some drs have recently joined the forum...)

since this post I have had more first hand experiences with the field and omg... there is no end to the dis-function, abuse, and dare I say even blatant misconduct/malpractice if not outright harm causing assholes out there. I am disgusted beyond words :(

it was one thing when it was effecting me and me alone... but now that I have watched what has been going on with my mother and now my son... its too much to take.

all I can say is I will not give up. and one day, dare I say it, I will make a difference somehow. cause this is some bullshit I tell ya.

D

DeletedUser394

Maybe I've just been really lucky, but I can't recall having a negative experience with a physician/doctor/nurse/etc

EMTs on the other hand..

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Never had a problem when I lived in California, or here in Mass.

When I lived down south they were terrible. I had to ask them about treatments, they didn't know half of them. I had an allergic reaction to some tattoo ink and 3 Doctors there couldn't figure it out. I ended up calling my old Dr. in Cali, getting his advice, then he called my Dr. in Louisiana and told him what to use.

So basically the person that actually helped me didn't even get paid. The Dr. just prescribed what my old one told him to. Brilliant.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
Maybe I've just been really lucky, but I can't recall having a negative experience with a physician/doctor/nurse/etc

EMTs on the other hand..
I know you recently had a health scare, I am sorry for that, and I am very glad you had good experiences with your doctors.

I assume before that scare, you had a limited relationship with doctors? one or 2 or even 3 family docs, a trip or 2 to the er, etc...

me on the other hand. not so lucky. I have been sick pretty much my entire life. I have seen countless doctors. I want to say several dozen at least. (at least a dozen specialties) and I cant even begin to count how many drs appts. I have had to endure.

that said I have had more experience with doctors than most people, and the fact that it is spread over several decades and states increases it a lot. I can say with confidence it is a industry wide problem. again I am not only using my own experiences or those with my family, but many other horror stories of others who are in situations like mine (chronic illnesses)

one day I hope to fix something. its really bad :(

eta- right now I am just trying to keep my head above water (healthcare wise) and trying my best to get my son the care he needs. and my mom, well shes a grown up, I cant help her as much as I would like but I do advise her... its so much I cant deal with my own care and my sons care at the same time... its one or the other. now because of the circumstances at hand I am forced to take him to see my orthopedic surgeon I just started seeing who is not a pediatric specialist because well just because :( too many reasons to get into...

its disgusting...

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Where I live, doctors are paracetamol pushers. That's the only thing that annoys me.

As for their behavior, yeah, it can be annoying, but after having worked in a service role, I'm not surprised.

99.9% of the bacteria (sorry, OUR BELOVED CUSTOMERS, POSITIVE THINKING!) you have to deal with are assholes who think that magic can be done by stomping their feet and raising their voice.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
I only go to the doctor if I absolutely have to, and very few times have I ever felt like they helped. The only helpful experience I can even remember was the time I had bronchitis/pneumonia that I tried to let my body fight off. I finally had to go to the doctor when I was out of breath after walking down the hall. The only reason that doctor was helpful was because she gave me some Azithromycin to fight it off.

However, my wife has had fantastic doctors. She mostly deals with specialists though.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
not that I expect the government to help but I filed complaints with the hhs.gov for civil rights violations for the shit that was done to me. they broke unbelievable amounts of laws... its astounding. and I am about to open up a complaint for my son... I already filed some things with his insurance company on Friday.

my moms issues were not of the same nature but simply disgusting incompetence. thank God she had me and my sisters checking on everything or they would have killed her.... they caused severe setbacks and damage to my mother because of it...

eta. multiple health systems... tho mine and my sons are in Georgia (2 different health system though). my mother is in Pennsylvania

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.