The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Which option is better?

WolfHerring

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 30, 2018
Hi, I'm at a pretty big crossroad in my life.

First some background:
I'm almost 23 years old, I have around 8k usd in my bank and I have plenty of software development experience.

I finally finished the long mandatory millitary service we have here in Israel and am now a free citizen considering my next move.

My options are:
1. Go work full time as a software developer for around 65k usd a year after taxes (Israeli taxes are painful), with potential for more if I work my a$$ off.
2. Start my own business.

I thought about going with 1 for a year or two to save up some money to fuel a business, but the mere thought of being a keyboard slave for more than a year makes me feel ill.

Going with 2 won't be too bad as my country has a very big startup community with pretty generous funders that I can reach using my networks, but I'd be pretty short on personal cash.

Is there anything I'm not considering that could make this decision easier?
What would you guys do?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Wiezel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Pick one and don't look back, you will never know the alternative.

Kybalion

Renegade Master
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Oct 5, 2018
I would pick the second option, but then again I am a bit insane.

Also... You should check out this post:

Kyle Nakhul

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Mar 4, 2016
New York City
The first option will give you all the experience and skills necessary to start your own successful business. Most great leaders always advice to work in the cooperate world first before starting a business.

richstone.io

API and Automation Engineer Growing SaaS
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 28, 2019
Barcelona
I am in almost the exact same situation and I thought this one through many many times, which resulted in the following algorithm:

11. If you plan on doing business anyway, then you'll learn the most about doing business by doing business!

22. If you can afford to be "short on cash" and won't suffer from it in anyway at least for a year, then be short on cash until you start generating cash and pick OPTION 2 - Your Own Business.

33. If you start to suffer from your cash situation, go back to OPTION 1 - Your Bill Payment Machine - and continue your business endeavours on the side until you generate enough passive cash or enough cash to live off for another year. Then start at STEP 22. again.

richstone.io

API and Automation Engineer Growing SaaS
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 28, 2019
Barcelona
The first option will give you all the experience and skills necessary to start your own successful business. Most great leaders always advice to work in the cooperate world first before starting a business.

The time won't be wasted completely (from an optimists point of view) but there is no guarantee it will be worth much for the exact business that OP is going to do at some point in time.

Boychamp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 13, 2019
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
I'd go second option, for what it's worth (I'm a random 23 year old on an internet forum sooo...)

My reasoning though? The WORST that happens is your business fails, you make no money, and you're forced to... go back to option 1. Oh no, back at square 1. Additionally, i feel the amount you'd learn from trying to start your own business and (potentially) failing, would be extremely helpful in your NEXT adventure after you go back to option 1 and save some cash up again. With such a strong skillset that pays well, you're kind of fine regardless.

Lastly, you also have a third option in my opinion. Work on your business and have a part time gig. This could be a flexible, low stress job (personally, I bartend on the side although I have a business & econ degree) or you could even do freelancing, contracting, etc to make a little extra on the side.

Best of luck :)

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
Hi, I'm at a pretty big crossroad in my life.

First some background:
I'm almost 23 years old, I have around 8k usd in my bank and I have plenty of software development experience.

I finally finished the long mandatory millitary service we have here in Israel and am now a free citizen considering my next move.

My options are:
1. Go work full time as a software developer for around 65k usd a year after taxes (Israeli taxes are painful), with potential for more if I work my a$$ off.
2. Start my own business.

I thought about going with 1 for a year or two to save up some money to fuel a business, but the mere thought of being a keyboard slave for more than a year makes me feel ill.

Going with 2 won't be too bad as my country has a very big startup community with pretty generous funders that I can reach using my networks, but I'd be pretty short on personal cash.

Is there anything I'm not considering that could make this decision easier?
What would you guys do?

Here's the only question you need to consider: What customer needs or problems would your business solve?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.