The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Which course to choose. Looking for advise.

Jago

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jan 29, 2016
Hi everyone!

My name is Andrey, originally from Ukraine but for the last decade or so I've been living in Ireland.

First of all, I am thankful for the opportunity to be here and for the privilege of joining such a great community.

I've been browsing through this forum for the last few days and I have to admit - it does feel like a family in a sense that people here are very supportive and honest – no BS, nobody is going to do your homework and there is no sympathy (excuse) for being a looser.

I feel like a gold miner sieving through tones of information to find best answers to my burning question – How do I set myself FREE? Free financially – not being dependant on my monthly pittance, called salary; Free mentally – a feeling that everyone experienced here at list once (otherwise we wouldn’t be here)– “I am free to live my life the way I want it, not the way I am forced to live”; and have a privilege of being FREE to help others.

I am at the very beginning of the journey called “Fastlane”, even though I am not that young. I am 41, with almost 10 years IT support experience. My last job lasted almost 4 years and I quitted it because I couldn’t bear it any more – the feeling of being wasted, being caught in the loop, being defendant and hopeless – all that developed frustration – a ground for deep depression. It took me 3 month to rebuild my confidence after leaving my job and start looking for the alternatives – that’s how I came across your fantastic book MJ (personal thanks for dragging me out of that hole!) and this forum, which I find both informative and encouraging.

Right at the moment I am on the crossroad and hence here is my asking – I feel a need to learn while working on my (too many) business ideas, in order to fill basic gaps. I have an opportunity to sign up for free part-time course, called Springboard courses here, in Ireland. There are many of them, but I narrowed it down to 3 and I am asking for your valued opinion – which one is of the biggest value for entrepreneur aiming to start business in digital market?

Digital Technology and Design

One year, online

- Web & Mobile Application Developers
- UX & Digital Designers
- Digital Technology Project Managers
- Digital Marketing & Sales Executives
- Data Analysts
- IT Technical Sales Executives
- Front-end Developers

Software and Cloud Technologies
Evening, twice a week.

- Principles of Programming
- Mobile Software Development
- Application of Cloud technologies
- MTA Software Development Fundamentals

Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Enterprise
Day course twice a week

1. Uncover your latent creativity. Develop your communication, teamwork, problem-solving and leadership skills,
2. Learn to develop, validate and execute new ideas using key business tools including design thinking and the business model canvas,
3. Leave with the skills/contacts to find employment (networking, CV/interview skills) or develop a sustainable business/social enterprise, (access to mentors, potential funders, incubators).

Any thoughts / suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for reading.
A.J.

P.S. At the moment I am doing “Start your own business” evening course, which fills me up with the basics and has been very useful in terms of meeting new people and building a network.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
Hi everyone!

My name is Andrey, originally from Ukraine but for the last decade or so I've been living in Ireland.

First of all, I am thankful for the opportunity to be here and for the privilege of joining such a great community.

I've been browsing through this forum for the last few days and I have to admit - it does feel like a family in a sense that people here are very supportive and honest – no BS, nobody is going to do your homework and there is no sympathy (excuse) for being a looser.

I feel like a gold miner sieving through tones of information to find best answers to my burning question – How do I set myself FREE? Free financially – not being dependant on my monthly pittance, called salary; Free mentally – a feeling that everyone experienced here at list once (otherwise we wouldn’t be here)– “I am free to live my life the way I want it, not the way I am forced to live”; and have a privilege of being FREE to help others.

I am at the very beginning of the journey called “Fastlane”, even though I am not that young. I am 41, with almost 10 years IT support experience. My last job lasted almost 4 years and I quitted it because I couldn’t bear it any more – the feeling of being wasted, being caught in the loop, being defendant and hopeless – all that developed frustration – a ground for deep depression. It took me 3 month to rebuild my confidence after leaving my job and start looking for the alternatives – that’s how I came across your fantastic book MJ (personal thanks for dragging me out of that hole!) and this forum, which I find both informative and encouraging.

Right at the moment I am on the crossroad and hence here is my asking – I feel a need to learn while working on my (too many) business ideas, in order to fill basic gaps. I have an opportunity to sign up for free part-time course, called Springboard courses here, in Ireland. There are many of them, but I narrowed it down to 3 and I am asking for your valued opinion – which one is of the biggest value for entrepreneur aiming to start business in digital market?

Digital Technology and Design

One year, online

- Web & Mobile Application Developers
- UX & Digital Designers
- Digital Technology Project Managers
- Digital Marketing & Sales Executives
- Data Analysts
- IT Technical Sales Executives
- Front-end Developers

Software and Cloud Technologies
Evening, twice a week.

- Principles of Programming
- Mobile Software Development
- Application of Cloud technologies
- MTA Software Development Fundamentals

Day course twice a week

1. Uncover your latent creativity. Develop your communication, teamwork, problem-solving and leadership skills,
2. Learn to develop, validate and execute new ideas using key business tools including design thinking and the business model canvas,
3. Leave with the skills/contacts to find employment (networking, CV/interview skills) or develop a sustainable business/social enterprise, (access to mentors, potential funders, incubators).

Any thoughts / suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for reading.
A.J.

P.S. At the moment I am doing “Start your own business” evening course, which fills me up with the basics and has been very useful in terms of meeting new people and building a network.

Hi Andrey and welcome.

I'm all for continual improvement and education but so often I see people using evening classes etc as a means to procastinate even further!

You are asking for advice on the 3 courses-In reality only you can make this call so take some responsibility and dont pass control of your time to anybody on here or in life in general.

Have you thought about option 4? That being sit down and decide yourself what direction you want to go down regarding business in the digtal world, once you've decided take affirmative action, self educate yourself in the process. Sure you can do any of these courses but is all of it going to be relevent to your particular voyage? Could you be better off utilising the knowledge on the various industry forums, youtube, library etc which will show you how to overcome a particular obstacle encountered so you can move on quicker to your end product and to get it out onto the marketplace?

Just another perspective!

HyperFocus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 4, 2016
Amsterdam
100% agree with Oimate

You dont have time to follow courses. Its too general and it seems like you want to build on something specific NOW.

Do what Oimate said. Go think for 1-3 days on what path to take and then focus on that, only find specific information and do it.

Maybe build websites for people for extremely low prices like 250$-500$ and advertise all over Europe + the US. Its not really a fastlane business but it will be enough to set you free from the employee life and then you can build something else.

Start a retailshop

Offer online services that offers value to businesses.

Check how you with your skills can help companies or sell to consumer.

Becoming a successful entrepreneur is easier than you think, you just need to DO it.

Jago

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jan 29, 2016
Hi there! Thank you very much for looking at it from another angle! I think you are right in saying that I am trying to procrastinate by looking for courses. It all makes perfect sense when you realize that your mind is paralyzed by fear of loosing "comfort and stability" of 9-5 job and is looking for the safest and least painful trade-ins ("I have to educate myself first" - in my case). Thanks for pointing it out and for the business ideas as well.

D

Deleted20833

All the other subjects can be outsourced pretty easily

Jago

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jan 29, 2016

All the other subjects can be outsourced pretty easily
Thanks, that was my first choice too. The only worry I have is that this course could be very general, as the other member pointed out. I don't want to waste my time either.

D

Deleted20833

Thanks, that was my first choice too. The only worry I have is that this course could be very general, as the other member pointed out. I don't want to waste my time either.

hmm idk man, in my experience fundamentals is what causes success

They might not be "sexy" but it works

Jago

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jan 29, 2016
hmm idk man, in my experience fundamentals is what causes success

They might not be "sexy" but it works
Hey, definitely wasn't looking for the "sexiest" course in the town :) My criteria really is - what's the most beneficial / practical course I can take (since I have an opportunity), which can make an impact (if any) on my Fastlane journey. But you answered that one already, thanks for that.
I agree that the best way to learn is "by doing". I can't possibly imagine what sort of problems I am going to face, until I start doing. This way I learn only what I need, as I need it. Yet, I feel that I am lacking "the basics" and for that I am going to do the Entrepreneurship course.
Thanks everyone for input and your valued opinions.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.