The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Unsexy Choose Your Own Adventure

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

fvcorp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
308%
Nov 28, 2017
Canada
Inspired by the Unsexy Businesses thread that I've read through a few times. I have a team and am wondering if anyone here has an idea they would like to see play out. I have no shortage of ideas, but I thought this would be cool content. I've read too many WallStreetBets YOLO threads over the past year and thought we could do something similar here.

Background:

Occasional poster. Mid-30s entrepreneur. Moderately successful technology startups and exits under my belt.

I want to try a boots on the ground business and execute for 90 days. I am the least handy person, so it sounds fun.

Skin in the game: ~$40K
  1. Web developer on staff that can help part-time with landing pages. ~$10K
  2. Full time Toronto-based sales professional - excellent with cold calling - who wants to try this full-time. ~ $20K
  3. $10,000 cash budget beyond the employees
  4. Me, I will try to fill in the gaps on this team
Choose your own adventure portion:

This team is going to go hard for 90 days on a business idea. The unsexier the better (because I think unsexy is better than sexy now, everyone is doing tech, nobody is doing labor). What type of business would you like to see as a daily progress thread?

PS:

We just finished trying recruiting for 30 days due to worker shortages. It seemed like there may be an opportunity there, but it was a quick failure. The major problem was that employers and employees both feel they are special. It was like selling twice to make one sale.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Mathew Verble

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 6, 2018
If there's a labor shortage maybe you should make a middle man workforce business.

Have companies come to you for employees and have people come to you for employers.

fvcorp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
308%
Nov 28, 2017
Canada
If there's a labor shortage maybe you should make a middle man workforce business.

Have companies come to you for employees and have people come to you for employers.
We kind of tried that for 30 days. Perhaps we should continue.

We chose a manufacturing niche and found that it was difficult dealing with unions.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Are you a team that just sits at a desk or do you go into the field as well to cull information and close sales?

fvcorp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
308%
Nov 28, 2017
Canada
Are you a team that just sits at a desk or do you go into the field as well to cull information and close sales?
We cull well, and close well. 50-100 cold calls per day type people. We tend to sit at a desk too often and aren't handy though.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.