The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Where to learn accounting?

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Hi guys, I have a question for you. Where's the best place to learn accounting? I want to know bookkeeping and accounting principles. All this years I've been studying different subjects such as marketing and copy writing. But I have always ignored anything to do with math. Math was always my weak subject in school. So I held this limiting belief that I was just not good at math. That my brain was not wired for math. Now I think that's bullshit and I have come to enjoy solving calculations. And the more I think about it the more I want to learn accounting. It's the foundation of all businesses after all.

I'm thinking of going to community college and either get an associates 2 year accounting degree. Or a non credit accounting technician certificate which would take a few weeks to complete. But if you have any suggestions for any online schools for accounting I'll look into those.

Also while were at it. What are some good subjects to learn to run a business efficiently? I remember on an episode of shark tank Mark Cuban was telling a kid to go to college and not follow through with his business. It's ironic because he dropped out of college to follow through with his business. He told him that, because college would give him a more rounded business education. So what subjects would round out my education in business?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jeremy Cohen

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 21, 2019
Hi guys, I have a question for you. Where's the best place to learn accounting? I want to know bookkeeping and accounting principles. All this years I've been studying different subjects such as marketing and copy writing. But I have always ignored anything to do with math. Math was always my weak subject in school. So I held this limiting belief that I was just not good at math. That my brain was not wired for math. Now I think that's bullshit and I have come to enjoy solving calculations. And the more I think about it the more I want to learn accounting. It's the foundation of all businesses after all.

I'm thinking of going to community college and either get an associates 2 year accounting degree. Or a non credit accounting technician certificate which would take a few weeks to complete. But if you have any suggestions for any online schools for accounting I'll look into those.

Also while were at it. What are some good subjects to learn to run a business efficiently? I remember on an episode of shark tank Mark Cuban was telling a kid to go to college and not follow through with his business. It's ironic because he dropped out of college to follow through with his business. He told him that, because college would give him a more rounded business education. So what subjects would round out my education in business?

Hello,
When you’re a child, and growing up, you are making your mind a certain way. Learning math is good. I am from France and it is the main topic until we’re 18 at least.
At a certain age, if you’re not good at maths, maybe just be good on what you do best and let the math and accountability to occasional freelances. Don’t stuck your mind with things you’re not particularly good at.
That would be my advice. I am an engineer; although I can design technical products good; I won’t deal with accountability of the company.
I’ve seen a course named « finance for non financial professional » on coursera ; maybe it can help ?

not sure whether my answer helps; if not just ignore it. good luck

Never1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 13, 2015
Canada
The best general purpose accounting book I've read (and keep for reference when I'm doing the books) would be this: McGraw-Hill - Accounting 4th edition

It's comprehensive and has worksheets, self-tests and exercise modules to help you learn the ins and outs of various accounting principles.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
You don’t really need to be good at math to do accounting. Really what you need to understand is how to do double entry, and different types of entries and how they relate to each other. Obviously there’s some advanced things like depreciation, accruals, and pre-payments if you were doing accrual-based accounting versus cash-based accounting.

Even a book like accounting for dummies would probably give you enough insight to start doing it. The best way to learn is just by actually managing and balancing books in some software program. I personally recommend staying away from QuickBooks because it dumbs it down too much and prevents you from realizing the full power of double entry accounting. I use the product which is built for the Apple platform called EasyBooks, and have been very happy with it. I have also used peach tree And a few other products throughout the years to manage different businesses.

With accounting, I think your best bet is to learn a few basic principles and then learn by doing. You’ll learn much faster this way than trying to read through a bunch of books to understand everything.

Here's an Idea, start managing your personal finances with double entry accounting. I did this for 6 months and it really helped me gain lots of knowledge about book keeping and accounting.

Last edited:

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
Outsource it.

While its important to have the ability to comprehend financial statements, the actual accounting can be outsourced fairly cheap.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
Hello,
When you’re a child, and growing up, you are making your mind a certain way. Learning math is good. I am from France and it is the main topic until we’re 18 at least.
At a certain age, if you’re not good at maths, maybe just be good on what you do best and let the math and accountability to occasional freelances. Don’t stuck your mind with things you’re not particularly good at.
That would be my advice. I am an engineer; although I can design technical products good; I won’t deal with accountability of the company.
I’ve seen a course named « finance for non financial professional » on coursera ; maybe it can help ?

This advice is truly wrong. Math is a language and the older you get the better you become at acquiring or increasing language skills. Why? Because you practice language skills, including math, all the ding dong day. The old theory that you can't be a mathematician unless you got A's in grammar school is a cruel lie. Math even underlies transactional linguistics. Old Braino uses math endlessly.
If you find at age 25 that you enjoy math there's nothing to stop you from getting a degree in statistics or math.
Life is a blank canvas. You can develop your brain at any age. You can even create core personality change.
I have an advanced degree in cognitive and personality theory and also advanced training in educational theory. Go and get whatever skills you want.
Some people start learning piano at age 40. Other very lucky people think math feels good.

Last edited:

MFH

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
450%
Jul 11, 2017
New Jersey
I was a CPA and financial executive in my past life.

Agree with the recommendations of the McGraw-Hill textbook and Financial Statements by Ittelson. Read them in that order. And use the textbook as a "need-to-know" reference. Things like cash journals and bond accruals may not be very relevant to you right now, but basic assets and liabilities (cash, receivables, payables, depreciation, etc.) and revenue/expense will be applicable almost immediately.

Skip the associate's degree or the technical program. Way more bang for your buck in getting a used textbook and filling in the gaps with Udemy courses.

Other things you might want to know:
  • Want to learn how accounting is done for production? Get a cost accounting textbook. Read and work through the problems.
  • Reading financial statements: once you've read the Financial Statements book, start reading the 10-K filings of public companies. They're long but include great analysis and insight as to what the company and its investors view as important.
  • For the love of God, learn to read cash flow statements. Practice, practice, practice beating the hell out of them.
  • You can also search for and listen to quarterly earnings calls of public companies, which typically includes pointed questions from analysts.
  • Tax: you'll want to outsource it AND understand the tax implications of decisions your company makes. Have a quarterly meeting with your tax accountant (someone reputable, not a tax prep service). A good tax pro will be able to point you to the most tax-efficient decision available - consult them before any significant financial decisions. Ask lots of questions. When you don't understand what they're talking about, just ask, "Can you explain that?"
  • There are lots of other areas that receive special attention in accounting - investments, estimates based on actuarial tables, intangible assets, mergers and acquisitions, etc. Shift your focus to them as they become more relevant or interesting to you, and unless you're planning to make accounting/finance your profession, focus on the drivers of these areas and developing a strong, high-level understanding.

Nick S

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 29, 2019
If you are interested in getting a crediential and learning the accounting, then Western Governors University (WGU) offers an accounting degree.

I believe it's around $4000 dollars per six months and it is fully online and self paced.

Depending on your level of dedication it is possible to finish the entire degree in 6 months to a year, and since you can do it whenever you like it wouldn't interfere too much with your other endeavors.

Plus then you'd have an extremely versatile degree if you ever have to go the employee route to build up some capital.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
Community college is a good choice. You don't need to get a full Associate's degree unless you actually want to get a bookkeeping job. Take bookkeeping & financial accounting and you should have plenty to get yourself going.

AFMKelvin

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Hello,

I'm not planning to work as an accountant. I just want to learn accounting for my own knowledge. Most likely I will outsource my accounting but I want to at least know that my accounting is doing it right. Not just blindly accept his work.

AFMKelvin

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Outsource it.

While its important to have the ability to comprehend financial statements, the actual accounting can be outsourced fairly cheap.
Yeah that's what I plan to do but I still want to be literate and know what I'm looking at when the statements come in.

AFMKelvin

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
I was a CPA and financial executive in my past life.

Agree with the recommendations of the McGraw-Hill textbook and Financial Statements by Ittelson. Read them in that order. And use the textbook as a "need-to-know" reference. Things like cash journals and bond accruals may not be very relevant to you right now, but basic assets and liabilities (cash, receivables, payables, depreciation, etc.) and revenue/expense will be applicable almost immediately.

Skip the associate's degree or the technical program. Way more bang for your buck in getting a used textbook and filling in the gaps with Udemy courses.

Other things you might want to know:
  • Want to learn how accounting is done for production? Get a cost accounting textbook. Read and work through the problems.
  • Reading financial statements: once you've read the Financial Statements book, start reading the 10-K filings of public companies. They're long but include great analysis and insight as to what the company and its investors view as important.
  • For the love of God, learn to read cash flow statements. Practice, practice, practice beating the hell out of them.
  • You can also search for and listen to quarterly earnings calls of public companies, which typically includes pointed questions from analysts.
  • Tax: you'll want to outsource it AND understand the tax implications of decisions your company makes. Have a quarterly meeting with your tax accountant (someone reputable, not a tax prep service). A good tax pro will be able to point you to the most tax-efficient decision available - consult them before any significant financial decisions. Ask lots of questions. When you don't understand what they're talking about, just ask, "Can you explain that?"
  • There are lots of other areas that receive special attention in accounting - investments, estimates based on actuarial tables, intangible assets, mergers and acquisitions, etc. Shift your focus to them as they become more relevant or interesting to you, and unless you're planning to make accounting/finance your profession, focus on the drivers of these areas and developing a strong, high-level understanding.
Awesome advice. I don't plan to be a professional accountant. I just want to know what all the numbers mean and how they got there. Can you give me more book recommendations?

Ben Taylor

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Dec 7, 2015
As someone who is an accountant at my slowlane job, and *was* taking classes to become a CPA, I would recommend you take the Coursera specialization here if you want a solid grasp of what's going on in your business.

You can't beat it in terms of bang for your buck, since you can just audit the courses for free. If you choose to pay and work through the assignments and quizzes, it even ends with a capstone project for a small business where you have to apply everything you've learned from the prior courses.

P.S. As a general rule, I can't recommend Coursera highly enough if you're just trying to learn since the material is taught by actual college professors who are experts in their respective fields.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.