The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When to know to back away from a niche?

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I'm looking into developing an app for a niche, and I have been doing some research.

There's definitely a need for it, but there are 3 or 4 big apps out there already for it. I have found some things missing in all of them but they seem quite minor and I don't even know if the features that I find that are missing, would be things that people would even use much.

The biggest thing I've noticed about the two bigger apps is that their UI's are not the best, but not completely horrible.

Other than that, I'm not a fan of their paid features of the app but not sure if premium is the only way to go with apps vs monetization through ads.

I have to admit the apps currently out are pretty great, so I'm not sure if it's worth pursuing?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
I look for 3 things in any niche:

1 - Money
2 - Passion
3 - Scale

An example of a niche that fits all three requirements is dog lovers.

Dog owners have money since owning a dog isn't cheap, I haven't met an owner who's not passionate about their dog and there's literally millions of global customers.

Another example is bikers. You get the drift.

Stick to this checklist and you won't go wrong.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I look for 3 things in any niche:

1 - Money
2 - Passion
3 - Scale

An example of a niche that fits all three requirements is dog lovers.

Dog owners have money since owning a dog isn't cheap, I haven't met an owner who's not passionate about their dog and there's literally millions of global customers.

Another example is bikers. You get the drift.

Stick to this checklist and you won't go wrong.
Even with big competitors?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Develop a podcast app! All the current ones out there suck. Each one has huge flaws.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Develop a podcast app! All the current ones out there suck. Each one has huge flaws.
Didn't do huge research into them but honestly I've only used the apple podcast app which isn't horrible.

I just downloaded "podcast app" and "castbox" and I hate their UI's but I haven't used them enough to see the huge flaws. From the reviews castbox is having issues with their off line content. This is holding same for podcast app as well. Looks like people really care about off line content. Might be worth looking in to.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Didn't do huge research into them but honestly I've only used the apple podcast app which isn't horrible.

I just downloaded "podcast app" and "castbox" and I hate their UI's but I haven't used them enough to see the huge flaws. From the reviews castbox is having issues with their off line content. This is holding same for podcast app as well. Looks like people really care about off line content. Might be worth looking in to.

The apple podcast app can only play 1x or 1.5x speed. Where's the 1.25x speed?

The UI is horrible for finding your downloaded podcasts, try to change them while driving. I always have to pull over.

It's also really hard to tell which ones you've listened to or what has been downloaded.

Search is pretty bad in terms of SERPs. For example if you search Elon Musk, Joe Rogan's episode isn't in the top 5. It's #6, with #4 being a review of his book.

I use Overcast mainly for the speed control and it also skips dead air, but it's got flaws too.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
The apple podcast app can only play 1x or 1.5x speed. Where's the 1.25x speed?

The UI is horrible for finding your downloaded podcasts, try to change them while driving. I always have to pull over.

It's also really hard to tell which ones you've listened to or what has been downloaded.

Search is pretty bad in terms of SERPs. For example if you search Elon Musk, Joe Rogan's episode isn't in the top 5. It's #6, with #4 being a review of his book.

I use Overcast mainly for the speed control and it also skips dead air, but it's got flaws too.

Damn. Well that's good information from an obviously experienced user!

Side note, what are your top three podcasts?

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Even with big competitors?

Yeah, build a brand.

Tobi Lutke (founder of Shopify) said 10% of all online BF sales went through Shopify stores.

Small business is alive and well. Don't be scared off by Amazon - they suck at most things.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.