The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When should I private label?

eGrizzly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
When is it recommended that I private label a product? When I order 10 units, 100, or is it 1000?

When I do order smaller number of units (e.g. 10 - 20) should I sell it on Amazon in the same box it arrived in (not the UPS box of course).

I just got started with this thing and questions are just popping up all over the place.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Private labeling isn't a threshold you have to meet - it's just the act of branding something as your own, when in reality it's produced by a third party.

If you are being serious about your new brand - private label it from the first unit ordered.

Packaging can be anything from a really fancy looking packaging to a plain white box. It's really up to you. It's easiest to get this done at the factory level though unless you are shipping everything to your house instead of right to Amazon, where you have the chance to package yourself. Still easier to have it done before it gets to you though.

I'd highly recommend reading everything by @biophase and @Vigilante to get started - they have two (+) of the most comprehensive progress threads on this forum. I have a few myself as well (I've started/sold two different private label companies that focused 100% on Amazon).

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
There is a lot of misunderstanding about private labeling. To me there are two distinct types of private labeling.
  • The first is as described by @JAJT. You brand something as your own, and placing your own label on it serves that purpose.
  • The second is to use your own labeling to establish a brand that stands out from the crowd.
My view is that if you are going to the trouble of having your own brand, it should be worth the extra effort to make your brand, logo, labeling, and packaging all part of your marketing, not just using a label as a means of differentiating your product from others.

You can choose a brand name that helps convey the message that will have an impact on your potential customers. Here's an example: A recently released new face cream for women carries the brand IMMORTAL. Get the message?

You can choose a label that will convey the message that this is a high class product. It can be printed on gold foil. You might be surprised at the low cost of foil.

You can choose packaging that maintains that image by incorporating a wax seal on the package. Again, the cost is small.

The logo should also convey the message. A bank in Australia failed miserably in this regard by allowing a clever graphic designer to show how clever he/she was. The logo had absolutely nothing to do with banking, or customer service etc., and it was greeted with widespread ridicule.

Have a look at the labeling book link in my signature and it will give you some ideas.

Walter

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Regarding packaging, I should have mentioned that packaging can sometimes add a lot to your freight cost from China because of weight or dimensions.

Also, retail packaging can be damaged in transit unless you specify multi layered cartons with 3 layers at least, and your supplier doesn't cut corners and use ultra thin cardboard for each layer.

Walter

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.