The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Whats your social campaign look like?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
In today's modern business world, almost every business is using social media to market their product and grow their fan bases. So what does your business' social campaign look like, are you using Facebook, twitter, G+, are their any you are not using? Also, are you guys doing it all on your own (tweeting, posting, writing, finding material) or are you using a social campaign site like constant contact? Lets hear it, what are you up to in the social media world? :shruggie:

Also, if anyone wants to answer this, I have been putting a little bit of my time away to work on posting to twitter and Facebook for my app, I have found that it takes a lot more time than it should, has anyone had any experience with using a company like constant contact?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I use hootsuite after Vertical Response couldn't keep up with the market on their mailing software.

I usually only post links to my new blog posts on my social media. It keeps me from being a dickjob buy now guy.

Edit: Just sent a update with hootsuite. F*ck it. It sucks.

ReEdit: Probably a little hard on hootsuite, but it did piss me off with duplicates, and weird posts. I figured it out.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Post content, put it on Facebook (which I do not advertise) and Twitter, post a discussion of the article on LI, post the article on Reddit (which is currently responsible for a large chunk of my traffic). Funny thing: the only article that I wrote myself ended up being my biggest article and is now ranked on Yahoo (what?), so fresh content is always best. Do it yourself if you can, but if guest writers can do it better than you can get them on board. (My trouble has been with finding guest writers; nobody wants to do it lol)

I do not use Google+ but it may be a good idea to expand.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
If you want to learn how to build your facebook and post good content, check out this site : www.get10000fans.com

I'm half way through and it has helped me tremendously. I bought it for $57 from AppSumo

Last edited:

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I use hootsuite after Vertical Response couldn't keep up with the market on their mailing software.

I usually only post links to my new blog posts on my social media. It keeps me from being a dickjob buy now guy.

Edit: Just sent a update with hootsuite. F*ck it. It sucks.

ReEdit: Probably a little hard on hootsuite, but it did piss me off with duplicates, and weird posts. I figured it out.

I laughed so hard reading this hahaha, I will check it out!

Post content, put it on Facebook (which I do not advertise) and Twitter, post a discussion of the article on LI, post the article on Reddit (which is currently responsible for a large chunk of my traffic). Funny thing: the only article that I wrote myself ended up being my biggest article and is now ranked on Yahoo (what?), so fresh content is always best. Do it yourself if you can, but if guest writers can do it better than you can get them on board. (My trouble has been with finding guest writers; nobody wants to do it lol)

I do not use Google+ but it may be a good idea to expand.

I personally don't like google+ either, its just not caught on that much yet, not to say it wont become more popular in the future, I have no problem writing all my own articles haha I might as well put some of the things I learned in school to use :rofl:. Tell me more about reddit! I have only been on there like once a long time ago, do you think I could/should submit an article on there?

If you want to learn how to build your facebook and post good content, check out this site : Facebook Fan Page Marketing Secrets to Get More Fans | Get 10,000 Fans

I'm half way through and it has helped me tremendously. I bought it for $57 from AppSumo

Favorited it and I am going to read that later tonight, looks pretty interesting from what I skimmed through. Thank you!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
Yeah nice. I signed up to one of those services, waiting to hear what they say and how they can help.

esprintguy

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 8, 2012
As much as possible you should expand your avenues. Don't just settle with one or two social networks.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I need a more elaborate Facebook plan. I'm not getting as many likes as i would like.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I am trying out Linkedin Ads instead of Facebook Ads. I like how Linkedin will sometimes feature your add at the top center of the screen. So far I like what I see with Linkedin, although it's way more expensive than Facebook.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Facebook Ad's

Probably gonna do CPM ads next month.

I never put any work into my Facebook page because I don't know what to do with it. I don't know how it will be helpful to people. It just seems like more, unnecessary work. I don't really understand Facebook all that much, really. Why would someone 'like' a company like mine? I don't get it. That's really the problem. So I ignore it.

I'm getting pretty good at LI, though. I might run LI ads instead.

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I never put any work into my Facebook page because I don't know what to do with it. I don't know how it will be helpful to people. It just seems like more, unnecessary work. I don't really understand Facebook all that much, really.

Based on my limited knowledge of Facebook - here is what I think.

Facebook is about Discovery. That is one of the main differences between Facebook Ads and Google Ads. Google says that their ads are part of the experience, while Facebook says that it's about Discovering new things. I'd imagine that the same idea applies to the Fan page. The fan page should give your followers a place to discover your brand, and what is happening.

The thing about Facebook is that it's extremely easy to do the wrong thing. If you post too often, than your likely to piss off your fans. If you don't post enough, than you may not engage your fans enough. You need to strike the perfect balance somewhere - and you need to present information, which is relevant to your fans.

Facebook is a massive stream of people and information. I don't think that it should be written off. I approach Facebook as a way to establish brand awareness. I also think the Facebook helps validate the authenticity and trust of my brand. It's a way of making sure that people stay connected to you and engaged with you. It sort of brings down the walls that tend to exist between a business and a consumer - and create more of a personal feel. If a business is not on Facebook then I often wonder what is up with that...what do they have to hide?

I find Facebook extremely hard to work with. It's great for getting your friends aware - but how do you really extend your reach beyond your main networks? That is where Facebook becomes challenging to use. But I suspect that Fan Page growth trends to project upwards as your business grows, this is assuming that you are supplementing your business with the like box and social sharing tools. In other-words - I think that Facebook becomes extremely powerful after you really extend your reach and start growing.

It's becoming harder to establish an engaging Fan page. I believe that this is because of all of the noise on Facebook. People don't really care that much. They are too busy talking about how important they are, what they had for dinner, and taking picture of their chest and butts. For this reason, it's important to make your posts 'sticky'.

One way of making posts sticky is by finding trends and appealing to people in the trends. Use a combination of Facebook, Instagram, Pintrest (however you spell it) and Twitter (hastags and trends on Twitter are your best friend)- find the things that are becoming popular or are trending. Relate them to your business and add them to your fan page - then target that audience on Facebook. Your more likely to increase the growth of your fan page this way.

Always pay attention to the people who join your fan page. Sometimes I see someone interesting who joins my page. I wonder, "why did they just join"? I may get in-touch with them. For instance, let's say that I have a fan page for coffee. A die hard tea drinker likes my page. Now a trigger goes off in my head "why has a die hard tea drinker just emerged themselves in a network full of coffee drinkers?" - is this person someone who stays ahead of the trends? If this person starts drinking coffee, then will all of their friends follow? Are they drinking coffee now? If so, then what made the suddenly accept coffee? Is there a new trend forming? Something moved them join the group and you can get a lot of insight from people who seem to not fit with the culture of your brand.

Facebook can be powerful

..and I really think that Linkedin is probably just as powerful. I look forward to working on Linkedin a little more, it looks very good for networking with the right people.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
If you want to learn how to build your facebook and post good content, check out this site : Facebook Fan Page Marketing Secrets to Get More Fans | Get 10,000 Fans

Maybe an interesting fastlane biz idea:

How about creating a special online university for facebook marketing?

http://socialmediamarketinguniversity.com/

There are some offers for social media in general and there are hundreds of new online eduction sites / online universities. But I've found not one especially for facebook...but to me it would make sense, because every second biz owner wants to know how to get fb fans, but not everybody wants to use a service for all 256 social media services, most would want to start with 1 service only, at that would be probably facebook

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
It seems the secret to Facebook marketing is creating a sharable page that posts sharable material that's relevant enough to your niche that people who aren't exactly interested in what you have to sell, will like and share your page. Because if they like it and share it, someone who is interested in your niche may see it. And there's a lot of power in subliminal advertising. That's why GoDaddy has such a huge market share now: thanks to their Super Bowl ads with Danica Patrick, people know GoDaddy and will go there when they get the idea to get a domain.

Now, with Facebook, we don't have to spend nearly as much for a billboard effect.

Very oversimplified but maybe it really is that simple. George Takei's page has over 2 million likes, and his fans are mostly NOT Trekkies... at least not original series Trekkies (maybe TNG Trekkies). He shares things relevant to the issues he promotes: Asian-American and gay rights. Plus, some things that are not relevant to those issues.

leono

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Apr 12, 2012
Pardon my ignorance, but I never did understand why businesses are now using social media. It always seemed like more work than what they are worth -- that all that time spent on facebook, twitter, etc. could've been spent working directly on your business: creating a new product, improving your systems, etc. That if you want to engage your customers, engage them directly through events, email, letters, on your own website...

In today's modern business world, almost every business is using social media to market their product and grow their fan bases.

And then, there's the saying, "If everyone's doing it, ... beware!"

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Pardon my ignorance, but I never did understand why businesses are now using social media. It always seemed like more work than what they are worth -- that all that time spent on facebook, twitter, etc. could've been spent working directly on your business: creating a new product, improving your systems, etc. That if you want to engage your customers, engage them directly through events, email, letters, on your own website...

Leono, depending upon what sort of compay you have, you may be REALLY missing out if you are not using fb and forums. I basically built my business for 'free' using these two.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011

Let's say you share a picture of your new product, for example a fitness book like 'The 4 Hour Body'.

Right now your FB page has 100 fans.

Out of this 100 fans, every one of them has let's say 100 friends on average.

Now, for this one post you do you get 20 "shares".

20 fans of your page share your product with all their friends, that means 20 shares with x 100 friends = 2000 eyes on your product.

Imagine you have 10,000 fans.

You get 100 shares for one post x 100 friends per user = Another 10,000 people see your product.

Social Media has a build in word of mouth system, that's the whole fun about social media sites like Facebook. They are literally build only for referrals / sharing / word of mouth.

It's all about leverage. FB can give your business crazy leverage, just like PatrickP said with using forums. ONE post on a forum can give you hundreds, thousands of customers - sometimes even for free just by pure hustle.

'Shut Up, I'm Talking' Author Accidentally Gets 700,000 Facebook Fans - Urlesque

This guy got 700k fans 'by accident'...his site has not over SIX MILLION facebook fans:
Shut-Up-I'm-Talking - Company - Fullerton, CA | Facebook

Texts from last night has 1,6 million FB fans: Texts From Last Night | Facebook
The founder / author of this website has written books about her topic:
Amazon.com: Lauren Leto: Books

The founder of 'Shut up I'm talking' offers a book too, imagine both of them marketing their 10-30$ books to a million crowd of people and do the math.

And the best part? The more people you have the more likes, the more growth. Mostly all for free.

The magic of using Facebook is basically determined by one thing:
You need to post things that people want to share, the more the better. That's why per se "stupid" sites like Text from last night have millions of users/fans/likes and older brick and mortar businesses struggle on social media and don't see any value. People just don't want to share their posts.

Habits Are The New Viral: Why Startups Must Be Behavior Experts | TechCrunch

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
that all that time spent on facebook, twitter, etc. could've been spent working directly on your business: creating a new product, improving your systems, etc. That if you want to engage your customers, engage them directly through events, email, letters, on your own website...

There are over 800 million people using Facebook. There are over 100 million using twitter. Not sure how many are in Linkedin but that puts you in direct contact with people who are usually harder to reach on the higher levels of a business - great if you in B2B.

One of the busiest highways by me in Philadelphia has over 100,000 cars per day using it. I could spend my time and a lot of money to put a billboard up. After it goes up, it's kind of stuck. And it's reach only goes so far (maybe to NY or Florida if I'm lucky) Or I can go on Facebook, spend a fraction of the time and money, and expand my reach across the country and world in a matter of seconds, with a well thought out plan.

But just for fun, let's say that I decide to put a billboard up. What am I going to put on the billboard? These things are somewhat expensive. You don't want to blow your money. It needs to be 'sticky.' So I need to find something that appeals to a lot of people and relate it to my product. How do I do this? I use social media. I go onto Twitter and I look at the trends of the day. I hash-tag things. If I am selling women's shoes, then I'll be on Pinterest searching everything that women on posting. This gives me insight into trends for future product development, and it helps shape my marketing plan.

In the late 90's Airwalks (the shoe) was famous for advertising based on emerging trends. They were targeting the trend setters, by following an idea called the law of diffusion of innovation. This company actually had focus groups that they were periodically check-in on. At one time, they determined that the Dalai Lama was becoming at trend among the youth. So they created a billboard of the Dalai Lama walking on air, in Air Walks. The billboard, which was removed, got a lot of publicity. They put so much work into figuring out the trends. Now the process as easy as going onto a social media platform. Cite - Book recommendation - The Tipping Point. Gladwell talks about this.

A lot of people don't do well with social media advertising because they don't know how to use it. And more importantly, so many people neglect the power of word of mouth. Social media can fuel word of mouth epidemics.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.