The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's Your Core Values? I Include Mine

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013

Draven Grey

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Oct 21, 2014
Denver, CO
I used a process called Appreciative Inquiry to define my core values. I find that it's much harder to misunderstand what I mean by each value because of it. Before that, everyone would just agree that they had the same values - I think because they are honorable traits, but they usually lived out those values differently than I do. Granted, you explained your own more thoroughly in the link.

Below are my own core values, written as the core values of my business team. I started the business based upon my own core values and then found team members that shared them.
  • Connection -- To us, connection is mutual trust, empathy, and camaraderie based on common goals and values, realizing that we are much more powerful together than as individuals. To do this, we use empathetic communication and seek out ways to deepen and expand our connections.
  • Authenticity -- To us, authenticity is being true to yourself and open with others in a way that fosters trust and care. To do this, we purposefully and sincerely treat everyone as we would a friend.
  • Expressiveness -- To us, expressiveness is purposefully stepping outside the norm in order to give life to the artist within. To do this we imprint our unique selves onto everything we do and encourage others to do the same.
  • Personal development -- To us, personal growth is constant effort to learn and expand upon our strengths. To do this, we are honest about where we’re currently at, take responsibility for our own growth, learn the best way to move forward, and then act upon it.
  • Professionalism -- To us, professionalism is building enduring greatness in ourselves, others and everything we do. To do this, we conduct ourselves with integrity, generosity, adaptability, competence, and excellence.
Additionally, we have a 3-fold Focus based on Jim Collin's "Hedgehog Concept" (originally based on my personal Hedgehog Concept), a summary of our culture based upon Ed Catmul's way of writing it out for Pixar, and "Emotions, Actions, & Impressions" based upon my own teachings on branding for my clients.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
Health: without it, nothing in life matters to me
Security: For myself and my family, it drives me to seek financial freedom
Freedom: Never being dependant on, controlled by or at the mercy of anyone
Abundance: Being able to get what I want, to have nothing be out of reach
Peace of Mind: What is the point if I'm always worrying and thinking of the next problem?
Fun: I want to live a fun life, I want the journey to be entertaining

Those together form my complete ideal life, I'm 20 years old so I don't know when I will attain these things for myself. I am healthy, I have freedom somewhat, not mental freedom but I blame myself, quite stifled, problems fully opening to others, even closest people in my life. I'm secure and so is my family, we live comfortably but I want to be able to provide so they never have to worry financially atleast. I have abundance as far as material things are concerned. I have peace of mind somewhat, when I'm alone that's when I feel most relaxed but there is almost always something waiting to get done whatever I do which I hate. My life isn't the most fun from an outside perspective but I enjoy most of it. Basically I want to take all these things and make them tenfold in the future. If I can get rich I'll already be halfway to attaining my ideal life based on these 6 core values.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013

6:07 :D

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
Mine are the same as MJ's, which are: 1) Freedom, 2) Health/Fitness, 3) Love/Relationships.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Privacy... I never go into detail about my incomes, inner workings of my businesses, etc.. I also like to keep a low profile with the car I drive and the places I choose to live. I prefer to avoid the digging by others. If they ask what I do, I usually reply with something very simple like "I do some consulting work for a few companies."

Philanthropy... I believe in being a generous person, but I pick the people I am generous to carefully... Some people really got the short end of the stick, others don't deserve anything. Pick carefully and be very generous.

Freedom... for almost 5 years now, my income has been divorced from my time... I am not accountable to a boss. I don't have to sit and crank out deliverables in order to pay my bills. The money comes in while I am on vacation, while I sleep, even while I spend money haha.

Trustworthiness... I am a man of my word. If I shake someone's hand I mean what I say and I follow through with my obligations.

Relationships... I was lucky enough to recently split up with my 6 year girlfriend. It was hard when it happened, but I realized something after the fact. My relationship was not a foundation I could build on... This is something I believe is hugely important going forward... Make sure every relationship in your life strengthens the foundation and aids you in your endeavors. Im not recommending you use people. I just believe that relationships should put you in a better place than a worse one.

Diligence... I strongly believe that if something is worth doing it is worth doing now. These people and their "new year resolutions". Waiting for a number to change on a calendar before doing something life changing is procrastination pure and simple. Look at my avatar... I try to live by that. It can be baby steps, but always be working toward that goal.

Simplicity... I like to keep my life as simple as possible. I lease my car so I never have to worry about anything going wrong with it. I lease my home because I never have to worry about anything going wrong with it. All of my bills hit my Amex automatically every month. When I set up operations for a company I always make sure I am doing things in the simplest way possible. My businesses are so well outsourced they can be run from a phone. Most of the time there is no need for added complexity.

Business... I had a sales oriented passive income business paying out about 55k per year without working. So I didn't, for about an entire year when I was 22. I learned something from this. I was BURNED out when I decided to finally relax and that was because I am not a salesman, I am a businessman. I got really bored and really good at golf. When I went back to work, I changed everything about my strategies. Now scaling is process, not sales. Just the way I like it. I also learned something else, business is very important to me. I enjoy the hell out of building businesses.

Faith... I know there isn't much room for religious discussion here, but I have to add it to my list. I believe I am blessed with a propensity for business and that faith can enrich your life.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
Privacy... I never go into detail about my incomes, inner workings of my businesses, etc.. I also like to keep a low profile with the car I drive and the places I choose to live. I prefer to avoid the digging by others. If they ask what I do, I usually reply with something very simple like "I do some consulting work for a few companies."

Philanthropy... I believe in being a generous person, but I pick the people I am generous to carefully... Some people really got the short end of the stick, others don't deserve anything. Pick carefully and be very generous.

Freedom... for almost 5 years now, my income has been divorced from my time... I am not accountable to a boss. I don't have to sit and crank out deliverables in order to pay my bills. The money comes in while I am on vacation, while I sleep, even while I spend money haha.

Trustworthiness... I am a man of my word. If I shake someone's hand I mean what I say and I follow through with my obligations.

Relationships... I was lucky enough to recently split up with my 6 year girlfriend. It was hard when it happened, but I realized something after the fact. My relationship was not a foundation I could build on... This is something I believe is hugely important going forward... Make sure every relationship in your life strengthens the foundation and aids you in your endeavors. Im not recommending you use people. I just believe that relationships should put you in a better place than a worse one.

Diligence... I strongly believe that if something is worth doing it is worth doing now. These people and their "new year resolutions". Waiting for a number to change on a calendar before doing something life changing is procrastination pure and simple. Look at my avatar... I try to live by that. It can be baby steps, but always be working toward that goal.

Simplicity... I like to keep my life as simple as possible. I lease my car so I never have to worry about anything going wrong with it. I lease my home because I never have to worry about anything going wrong with it. All of my bills hit my Amex automatically every month. When I set up operations for a company I always make sure I am doing things in the simplest way possible. My businesses are so well outsourced they can be run from a phone. Most of the time there is no need for added complexity.

Business... I had a sales oriented passive income business paying out about 55k per year without working. So I didn't, for about an entire year when I was 22. I learned something from this. I was BURNED out when I decided to finally relax and that was because I am not a salesman, I am a businessman. I got really bored and really good at golf. When I went back to work, I changed everything about my strategies. Now scaling is process, not sales. Just the way I like it. I also learned something else, business is very important to me. I enjoy the hell out of building businesses.

Faith... I know there isn't much room for religious discussion here, but I have to add it to my list. I believe I am blessed with a propensity for business and that faith can enrich your life.

I like you. No homo

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
Integrity - Being honest and transparent but elusive is something I have seen working much better for me because it disarms many of the the naysayers
when they see that there isn't some secret sauce or hocus pocus magic but due dilliegence and hard work.

Conversationalist- Exchanging words face to face and being able to carry yourself well in a social setting are qualities that I as a young man (21)
see dwindling. The time is approaching where many "old schoolers" are either retiring or reaching an age where
the bucket is a couple years around the corner and are looking for that "young buck" to impart their knowledge even their legacy on.

This is great opportunity to cut decades of the earning curve because just by having a strong voice , good manners , being
punctual and a firm hand shake has been opening doors for me when most of the other young men have their face glued to their iphone
beats headphones over their ears , indifferent to the world. Not to mention how far this goes with customers!

Trustworthy- To point where I have to reign it in at times. I always try to see the good in people even when its aparent that they are no good but this is
something I am working on.

Selfishness- I am naturally selfish but its not apparent to most people because I am selfish in a way that when I want to acheive something that is pretty
much the only thing I care about and if its not an emergency or the world ending then I come first. However , when I do acheive something
lets just call it the proverbial "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"
While this quality helps me tremendously in Focus it makes it hard to put myself in the consumers shoes at times.

I also hate gifts and anything free but I don't know where that would fall...ungrateful?

Rethagos

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 25, 2014
Poland
Power - Everyone around me wants to get power over others, even unconsciously. To keep myself safe, better to take arms, than preach meekness.

Nonconformity - My path is my own. Noone will live my life for me, and in the last day of my life, only I will remain by my side.

Minimalism - There are many things, tasks etc. the only purpose of which is to take time and make problems. Keep it simple, and apply the Paretto's Law.

Pride - posing as a creature of weakness and timidity is what I consider unnatural. A self-fulfilling prophecy. Audacity by itself has often power to solve many problems.

Curiousity - I need to know why things work one way, and not the other, how do puzzles fit together, and the "because I say so" is not the sufficient answer.

Self-Expansion - I pride myself in accumulating knowledge and various educational materials. My whole hard drive is filled with videos with how-to's, and the collection grows faster than I can teach myself. When I don't expand my horizons, I make them shrink.

Effort - things which come easy, are often worth only contempt. If I want truly valuable things to come to me, then I have to take them, by force or wits. You know what they say, "God helps those who help themselves."

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Nice thread.

Integrity is the highest value, for which forms the base of all other moral virtues.

Since I was given the gift of life, it's entirely up to me to define my purpose. I've discarded all my inherited guilts as a white male living in a first world country. Though I am a fair and generous person, I owe no guilt or altruistic debt to anyone or anything. I'm confident that altruism is illogical, as well as mysticism, supernaturalism, and even benign religions (to each their own <3 ; not trying to fight here). For me, to accept altruism and/or any form of religion/mysticism, would be an affront to the thousands of hours I have poured into understanding the nature of reality, life, history, and a social existence amidst billions of other humans. I've honed my mind to help me achieve greatness. For me to accept a flawed philosophy would be a personal treason, a betrayal of my own integrity.

With this sense of integrity I feel solid on Earth. I feel my weight, like an immortal being discovering it's consciousness for the first time. I have set moral standards for myself. My integrity is the frame that brings structure to my code of ethics. I could never build a business based on deception, just as I could never begin a relationship through lies. I love myself, and I what I stand for; why would I need to deceive a woman when the truth is so beautiful? Why would I need to trick a customer, when the value I produce is so pure?

That's the only way I can be happy. I have to love myself--and I can only do that if I'm living according to my standards, to never have to hide or fake anything about my life, or my work. To be true: to myself, to Earth, and to every deserving person I come in contact with, directly, or otherwise.

Last edited:

Kristi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 2, 2015

I lately am learning about how relationships--friendships can be like an anchor dragging through the sand on the bottom of an ocean. My ship still sails--but it's exhausting to the motor! and uses too much fuel.

I am not practicing any organized religion, however, I have a lot of faith myself. I think the word "faith" gets a bad rap because people have a tendency to use "science" as the opposite of faith. I believe they are 2 sides of the same coin. Although, in this case you may be referring to "faith" religiously.

In any case, I enjoyed reading what you wrote.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
In biz, its simple

Help others until controlling my cashflow is effortless

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
I seek to give my family, be it future or current, the ability to effect the world.

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
People have different values, that's natural, but this thread reveals that most people have only a vague idea of what their personal values really are. They mix values with goals, wishes, and whatever else they seem to desire today.

Having correct values and knowing what they are is critically important. Life is a constant choose between pursuing certain values at the expense of other values. A generic list that someone else gave you may not do. Your desire of the day will not do for certain.

G

GuestUser112

See the whole thing about values is that they are subject to change. I value my health, but I also value the taste of a greasy cheeseburger. Thinking about it right now is terrible because I'm currently fasting, which is something I do periodically to maintain good health and discipline, so I won't eat one. But I will at some point in the future.

Moderation is key. Food is more valuable when you are hungry. The shade of a tree is only valuable on sunny days. Money is only valuable if you have the capacity to enjoy it. So it all depends on the situation man. The desire of the day may in fact be very relevant.

Draven Grey

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Oct 21, 2014
Denver, CO
See the whole thing about values is that they are subject to change. I value my health, but I also value the taste of a greasy cheeseburger. Thinking about it right now is terrible because I'm currently fasting, which is something I do periodically to maintain good health and discipline, so I won't eat one. But I will at some point in the future.

Moderation is key. Food is more valuable when you are hungry. The shade of a tree is only valuable on sunny days. Money is only valuable if you have the capacity to enjoy it. So it all depends on the situation man. The desire of the day may in fact be very relevant.
Interests, likes, and similar are not exactly cire values.if it's subject to change without a LOT of pressure, I don't really believe it was a cire value in the first place. I even question if a cire value can change at all after a certain age.

G

GuestUser112

I already listed my core value: my own happiness. Its in fact the only logical core value for any living creature. Everything else I mentioned is just a means to that end. Burgers make me happier than celery does. Having a healthy body makes me happier than not having one. Keeping my integrity makes me happier than losing it.

Anything other than personal happiness as a core value is merely a red herring, because the purpose of having values is always the same, whether or not you are aware of it. Try to use logic to prove otherwise and you will fail.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
I mean, Ayn Rand smoked cigarettes. Damn...

It was a popular, social thing to do at the time, and there wasn't the insurmountable evidence about its health effects that we have now. I suspect she would have pivoted in the face of clinical trials.

“I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips. I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come from such hours. When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind--and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression.”

G

GuestUser112

Popular and social wasn't exactly Ayn Rand's prerogative, as I recall. I'm fairly certain she was just addicted and that she used idealism to cover up that unfortunate fact, whether or not she was aware of it. Everybody glorifies their own vices. She wasn't the best example of an objectivist, as much as I hate to admit it.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
1. Heart & Mind
2. Integrity & Honesty
4. Honor & Respect
5. Focus & Clarity
6. Authentic & genuine
7. True to myself & Other people

Those are my core values I try to live by every day.

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
I mean, Ayn Rland smoked cigarettes. Damn...
I am glad you brought up Ayn Rand. One really cannot discuss core values intellegibly and intelligently without having read Atlas Shrugged and having understood it. It's actually a thesis on core values. People pursue certain values and the story is logically extrapolated to where those values lead them. Defining personal happiness as the core value is a start in the right direction, but it is not a list of core values, sorry. Core values should not be subject to randon or seasonal changes. By definition, they are core values.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.