The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Whats the most you spent on a URL?

Toiletcake

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 4, 2007
I have been looking at urls lately for my business. I have snapped up some good names by finding the owners and negotiating. Its fun to do. It seems the valuations are all over the charts. Seems to come down to what the buyer wants to pay really.

Whats the most you have spent on a Url?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
$1,000 for an exact keyword match domain that at the time had 8,800 monthly exact searches, now it has 40,500 monthly..

Toiletcake

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 4, 2007
Im so glad you brought up "Exact Match" Url's, this is what I have been snatching up on my main traffic keywords. I am under the belief system that its easier to rank these urls for that exact match term. Im all over that. Spent 8k for one that brings 20k exact searches locally.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
$9.95 :smxF:

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia

If you don't mind me asking, MJ (or others), what type of keyword volume would you expect to see for this price? Are there too many other considering factors to say?

Is it appropriate to compare this to a brick & mortar business - for example, a car wash, where statistics say that you should be able to capture .76 percent of the traffic. If a given site has X number of visitors, is there am expected rate of conversion for a well configured site?

veli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jun 11, 2008
Ok, probably a stupid question, but where exactly can I find the exact monthly search results??

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you don't mind me asking, MJ (or others), what type of keyword volume would you expect to see for this price? Are there too many other considering factors to say?

Is it appropriate to compare this to a brick & mortar business - for example, a car wash, where statistics say that you should be able to capture .76 percent of the traffic. If a given site has X number of visitors, is there am expected rate of conversion for a well configured site?

It was a generic domain name (limos.com) and I hate to admit, I didn't even check the data behind the name ... I just knew I wanted it for my brand and to me, my brand was worth millions. So I justified the cost ... the value in the generic was just gravy.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
^^^ That was a great story btw... you shyster you. lol

edit: that just reminded me of something... I was about to say, "can we relive 1999 again"?

Could be a relatively good spin for one of your hooks to realize thoughts of wishing for easy hindsight success isn't proactive in creating your own fastlane.. only analyzing the history to mimic what always works using the proven principles.

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
Thanks, MJ. I have my eye on something and they are asking about the same. I know next to nothing about the e-biz world so trying to learn some analysis techniques.

Mtnman, that little nat on screen gets me every time!!! Especially when I am in FL!

Veli - my favorite new past time is the Google Keyword Tool - that's where I have been researching monthly stats. My question is do those counts represent google searches only? Yahoo and others would be additional?

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Make sure if you are using strictly for SEO benefit to do very very thorough research into the true numbers.

The conversion rates, etc. that sellers try to leverage are often times way over inflated. Also, the trend Google is going towards is less and less "big"weight on exact match domains, so anything that is trying to "dupe" Google is always a gamble.

Good, solid, fundamental SEO behind an exact word domain is very hot right now though, but you have to make sure to think long-term with your SEO and not short term 'trends'.

max momo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 15, 2008
California
700, good search match, really nice passive search numbers. hope to build it out and sell. We brokered through Sedo. They did fine but a little too beurecratic. Bought another site from a private party, much easier.

jeffs

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 18, 2010
I just paid $1,500 for socialmediahq.com. I feel like the domain name market is the wild west, since there are really no regulations. I valued that name at $300-$500 at the most. Originally the guy was trying to charge $3k, but I got him down to this price. What do you guys think?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I just paid $1,500 for socialmediahq.com. I feel like the domain name market is the wild west, since there are really no regulations. I valued that name at $300-$500 at the most. Originally the guy was trying to charge $3k, but I got him down to this price. What do you guys think?

I think you overpaid. I'd value that name just where you did; in the 300-500 range.

Yet, if your service/product/business that evolves from that domain earns you $100K/mo, will it matter that you overpaid? Probably not. It would have been worth every dime.

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
I overpayed as well did not even check numbers behind it, i was not educated about domains at this time. I would not take it back though because i feel the name is great and easily spreadable through word of mouth as well.

Many domain holders just put crazy prices on their sites for sale like 5k so when you offer 2k you think its a deal meanwhile they would have sold it for $200.

My sites has barely any natural exact match searches but think of all the websites making big money with random catchy names.

No doubt 50k/m random people searching for your exact phrase would help alot i think people think too much into it.

I have two words in my domain name 1 word is searched over 13 million times a month and the other word about a million but when combined... yeah about no searches are done

jeffs

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 18, 2010
I knew it! Well I am glad my intuition was correct about the original price. You are so correct that my return on investment will be ten fold if my business takes off.

I have two buzz words in my url right now. Hopefully the term "social media" doesn't die off in the next ten years.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I knew it! Well I am glad my intuition was correct about the original price. You are so correct that my return on investment will be ten fold if my business takes off.

I have two buzz words in my url right now. Hopefully the term "social media" doesn't die off in the next ten years.

I love the name, I think it will be very brandable for you. While "hq" over "headquarters" might be an issue, I think it is minute ... do you own socialmediaheadquarters too?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I got a few ....hq.com sites and days after building the sites, I thought I better get the ...headquarters.com because you don't really use the "HQ" in the site content, you spell out headquarters almost all the time.

jeffs

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Aug 18, 2010
I actually do have socialmediaheadquarters.net. But we are going to brand ourselves as social media hq. Social Media Headquarters is our legal name under the LLC.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.