The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What to say in marketing materials (ads, etc)

Marketing, social media, advertising

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I just watched this video on YouTube. It's a terrible video, lol, but his point was really interesting.

How to Write Good Ad Copy - YouTube

Basically, he was focusing on how when you are writing your sales copy, you don't need to try to convince your customer that you are best in every consideration (customer service, return policy, price, etc). It's great if you are really great at more than one, but it's more important to make your competitive advantage clear.

He says that if you make your competitive advantage clear (i.e. the thing that you are best at), then it makes it a lot easier for the customer to make the decision. Instead of joining the crowded market of people who claim they are great at everything, you can make it a quick, easy decision for the customer.

And, he says that it is always a terrible decision to try to fool the customer into believing that you are good at something that you are bad at.

Anyhow, I thought this was interesting and wanted your thoughts on this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser2

good copy convinces people that the choice they make, in choosing you makes them smart.

or solves a pain,

or makes something someone does, really cool

think like them, you can write better copy.

long copy is hard

short copy is way harder.

short copy, you have to make 1 thing stand out above all others, the clearly makes the reader go, "hell ya, that's mine,"

the dollar shave club? brilliant.

why? because the guy doesn't go on about sharper blades, smoother skin, better anything. except 1 thing.

his stuff. 1$

thats it.

brilliant. look up john carlton as a copy writer, read some of his stuff. good place to start, or cashvertising, (amazon)

good luck

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
as i was reading this.... i was thinking
the dollar shave club? brilliant.

So maybe from now on we should simply show the product and above it say... normally X is $20, ours is $5, BE SMART
...call to action button that says "smart people click this button>>"

TimFrancis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 30, 2012
The vibe I'm getting from your message - and I may be wrong (I'm wrong alllll the time, LOL) - is that getting focused on your ideal customer is your #1 issue. I rarely start working on a piece for a client until I have a confidence I can finish the sentence: "My ideal prospect is ______". For example, "My ideal prospect is someone who already knows they need new shoes, and is searching online for the latest trends to impress their girlfriends on a Friday night." Once you've got that level of clarity, sooooo much else falls into place with *incredible* ease... your USP, your possibilities for headlines, bullets, upsells, bonuses, images, ever-ee-thing falls into place once the ideal customer is in mind, and then the USP is created from that.

So just complete that statement and see what happens...

Hope that helps,

Tim :)

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Go read Blue Ocean Strategy if you haven't - great read.

A running theme was the line "Focus, Divergence, and a Compelling Tagline". Basically figure out what you focus on, figure out how you are different, and be able to put it into a tagline.

If you can't say in a few words why you stand out then you haven't focused or diverged enough.

Like other's said: Dollar Shave Club. Easy, clear, concise. They focus on delivering monthly shaving gear to you (focus) for a dollar (divergence).

VIP

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Oct 19, 2012
San Diego
A good book I recommend is Ca$hvertising good book on how to promote products in a certain way.

mtjr825

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Feb 28, 2012
Detroit, MI
I second Cashvertising.

You really want to understand your customer, think like them, and provide BENEFITS of your offering for them. Features and advantages are necessary but BENEFITS sell. Good luck

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.