The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What to do with 180K (one more)

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Marcus_aurel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Dec 24, 2020
Hi everybody,

Yes it is one more "what to do with"
So i have 180k (usd). This money comes from savings (i'm in the military for 15 years = lot of sacrifices, adventures, lack of "freedom") so yea slow lane. And from some investments in cryptocurrencies. Now as everybody, i want freedom. Of choices, actions. The hourglass is running...

I read the topic (and others about the same thing) GOLD! - The final solution to all "I have some money what do I do?" threads.
Which was interesting, but still common sense. Though the conclusion "Buy something to meet the needs of others. Spend your money in a way that causes it to be multiplied rather than consumed." is fondamental, and is the true fondation of business i think.

My goal is, in 5/6years, to be financially independent. I'm hesitating between going in stock market ( but not advised by The Book , cuz it doesn't depend only from us, which we can only agree with) , between compound interests, real estate ( i'm in France, so i can invest here, of i have some contacts in construction in Monaco ) or finding "the thing that meet the needs of others".

Or maybe a mix of those? What do you think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Start a business with $5k or less and save the rest.

Easy

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Start a business with $5k or less and save the rest.

Easy
This!

5k start a business, trial and error until something sticks

Instead of saving, invest!

Interest rates are at all time low, your dollars are getting devalued in a saving account with the recent money printing going on

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
Business is going to be your best wealth vehicle from the start man. I would start a business with more than $5K, one I'm confident in.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Hi everybody,

So i have 180k (usd). This money comes from savings (i'm in the military for 15 years = lot of sacrifices, adventures, lack of "freedom") so yea slow lane. And from some investments in cryptocurrencies. Now as everybody, i want freedom. Of choices, actions. The hourglass is running...

I read the topic (and others about the same thing) GOLD! - The final solution to all "I have some money what do I do?" threads.
Which was interesting, but still common sense. Though the conclusion "Buy something to meet the needs of others. Spend your money in a way that causes it to be multiplied rather than consumed." is fondamental, and is the true fondation of business i think.

My goal is, in 5/6years, to be financially independent. I'm hesitating between going in stock market ( but not advised by The Book , cuz it doesn't depend only from us, which we can only agree with) , between compound interests, real estate ( i'm in France, so i can invest here, of i have some contacts in construction in Monaco ) or finding "the thing that meet the needs of others".

I`m not sure what the french version of this would be, but in my country we have a few websites for "Businesses for sale".
Maybe look into buying a business which you can provide alot of value in and suits your skills.
If I were you I would experiment as well.
One business to cover costs and one riskier business to enhance your skills.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I don't recommend entrepreneurship necessarily.

Why weren't you asking this question with 100k, 50k, 25k, etc. ?

What does financial independence mean for you? Does it mean covering 2k a month in expenses? Does it mean making 50k a month?

What is your long term goal/dream? What would you do if you were "financially independant"?

It's easy to say "I wanna make more money". We all do, bud. But now we have to figure out more details about your life to come up with a good answer on "how". And we find that out by asking "why". Goal -> Strategy (based on your situation) -> Execution.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jan 1, 2015
Hi everybody,

My only advice is to not throw away the hard-earned money for high risk investments or businesses.

Instead, save it, and put a small amount into building your business.

Marcus_aurel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Dec 24, 2020
Thank you all for your helpful answers.
This!

5k start a business, trial and error until something sticks

Instead of saving, invest!

Interest rates are at all time low, your dollars are getting devalued in a saving account with the recent money printing going on
Yep exactly about the money getting devalued with all the printing going on... Having this savings/cash available, and without touching it, you already loose some of it, that's time to take action.

I`m not sure what the french version of this would be, but in my country we have a few websites for "Businesses for sale".
Maybe look into buying a business which you can provide alot of value in and suits your skills.
If I were you I would experiment as well.
One business to cover costs and one riskier business to enhance your skills.
We have the same thing here "entreprises à vendre". Indeed it is a good idea, and for sure i will have to experience, trial and error etc.
The two businesses sound smart, but if i divide my time and attention on two things when i will still be starting, i'm not sure that i will be able to manage everything ^^ . Though i'm definitively going to look for an opportunity on those "businesses for sale" websites. Thank you !
I don't recommend entrepreneurship necessarily.

Why weren't you asking this question with 100k, 50k, 25k, etc. ?

What does financial independence mean for you? Does it mean covering 2k a month in expenses? Does it mean making 50k a month?

What is your long term goal/dream? What would you do if you were "financially independant"?

It's easy to say "I wanna make more money". We all do, bud. But now we have to figure out more details about your life to come up with a good answer on "how". And we find that out by asking "why". Goal -> Strategy (based on your situation) -> Execution.
Well i didn't ask about another amount of money, cuz 180K is what i have. Everything that i have. Not less not more.
So yes you know how much i have and i can invest. For sure i will keep a certain amount of savings as a "safety net" (sorry Arnold S) in case of hard time.

Ok yes you are right i have to be more clear.
I am not into luxury things, buying more and more objects, having an expensive lifestyle etc.
For me financial independence means being able to eat/live/enjoy/be healthy, without "being the slave" of a work, schedule, specific place in the world. Anyway i think like most of people. So i could definitively live comfy with 3k a month.
But i want to be able to manage myself, and the people i love. ex : if my family needs help, i can be present for them and do what it necessary, cuz i have the time (cuz i'm not into the Rat Race anymore, stuck at work, without leaves etc) and money.

For this, i don't need millions. But when my family and loved ones will be safe and happy, i want to create and build things. Maybe a school, with an adapted/alternative program to create responsible, strong, balanced kids. (program including meditation, breathing, food, financial education etc) This school could be in the western world or third world.

Anyway maybe i'm going so far.
So yea let's say that with 5k of incomes, with an automatic system would be enough to live comfortably. But it is on a low level.
On a better level, 5k with millions on the side, good. I could live, and realize my projects.
Or 20K per month if i don't have the millions on the side.

So for now, i'm on investing 5/10k in a business. Then trial and error. Scaling over and over.
First step would be, what problem can i fix for people in 2021 ?

ps: i hope it is clear, and that i didn't make so much grammar mistakes in the text. If ever don't hesitate to tell me, i will spend more time on my english next time.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
A few properties in the south of France run on AirBnB would offer you a significant and "safe" return. There are more aggressive things you could do with it but it depends on your risk tolerance.

Janoosh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 17, 2013
Somewhere in Asia
A few properties in the south of France run on AirBnB would offer you a significant and "safe" return. There are more aggressive things you could do with it but it depends on your risk tolerance.
A few properties in the south of France? Where exactly do you mean? I lived in Nice for almost a year and 200k EUR (not USD), doesn't really buy you anything, maybe a tiny studio or a crappy 2 room apartament. So I wonder where you could buy "a few properties" in the southern France, which is the second most expensive area after Paris, for 180k USD ?

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Buy Dynamic Set Dollar $DSD and HODL for a weeks or a few months or a few years. :D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ww5zvvphX0&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=BlockRoots%3ACryptoMarketAnalysis

===============

A more sensible suggestion is to put $100k down and buy a $300k 4 bedroom house.

Rent 3 rooms, live in the 4th rent free. After 5-10 years kick everyone out and you'll own the place outright and the renters paid off your mortgage for you.

While living rent free, keep working and start a side hustle and grow it into a business.

Last edited:

Marcus_aurel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Dec 24, 2020
Yep thank you @JordanK and @Janoosh , real estate is an option yes, but for now it is not my choice, i don't think it is a fastlane.. Though i am sure that it can work on the middle term, i have some examples around me. I'm thinking about it more in a second time, to diversify my "soon to be" millions :hilarious:

@100k thank you ! I will look for DSD, i have some cryptos, but this one is unknow for me. When you see what is happening with XRP for a few days, i will think carefully...:happy: But why not investing a few thousands on it, will see.

For now i'm looking to buy a "Business for sale", there are some leverage effect too, you can buy it without one of your cent, the government can even help you buying it, cuz you save local jobs and help the community etc And you don't have to buy since the beginning of the enterprise, which is the most messy part.

lobo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 20, 2019
I agree with most people here. You should start some sort of business, and you shouldn't invest more than 5-10K. Reason being, its very possible for your first business to fail regardless if you invest 50k or 5k.

I would say you should find a business thats been done over and over again, no thinking out of the box yet. Think service businesses, marketing, e-commerce, etc. Or learn a high valued skill and use that to land a high paying job to fund your ventures OR start freelancing right away (Think coding, digital marketing, etc).

Marcus_aurel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Dec 24, 2020
I agree with most people here. You should start some sort of business, and you shouldn't invest more than 5-10K. Reason being, its very possible for your first business to fail regardless if you invest 50k or 5k.

I would say you should find a business thats been done over and over again, no thinking out of the box yet. Think service businesses, marketing, e-commerce, etc. Or learn a high valued skill and use that to land a high paying job to fund your ventures OR start freelancing right away (Think coding, digital marketing, etc).
Yes that's sound to be a wise advice :thumbsup: thank you @lobo . I have to learn without rushing for the first businesses, which doesn't mean not having a high fast goal at the end. I'm looking for Businesses for sales , there are currently good opportunities there in France, without the hassle/time spent building the business from the very beginning. And you can manage to not invest 2euros, so the risk is low.

Service businesses it's true that it can work well, a good friend of mine started learning by himself 3 years ago, now he makes 15K a month. But the process is not automatic, he can't stop working, even going on holidays for so long.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hi everybody,

Did you work for FFL for the 15 years?

180k is too little to get you a passive income in my opinion. Even you took significant risk to chase yield and get a 10 percent it is like only 18k a year.

Since you know cryptocurrency there is business opportunity in that space. Writing white papers for others or Dabble into mining (at current high price I heard you can cover your machine cost in one year). Park some money at safer traditional assets and use some to chase risky defi farming yields.

Another is tag into your military expertise and think about the private security industry. High growth potential. How many men does the state need to pay to catch people not wearing mask. They need contractors to do all these enforcement. There is a global trend to outsource security jobs to contractors these days.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
I know ppl been in miliary for a time allway have connections spread over the country. Maybe you can use them.

You could put your money into an ETF , fe world ex europe, and start mowing lawns.
there is a good thread about lawn mowing.
You can grow that business into the cities you have your friends spread. Franchise maybe.

Marcus_aurel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Dec 24, 2020
Did you work for FFL for the 15 years?

180k is too little to get you a passive income in my opinion. Even you took significant risk to chase yield and get a 10 percent it is like only 18k a year.

Since you know cryptocurrency there is business opportunity in that space. Writing white papers for others or Dabble into mining (at current high price I heard you can cover your machine cost in one year). Park some money at safer traditional assets and use some to chase risky defi farming yields.

Another is tag into your military expertise and think about the private security industry. High growth potential. How many men does the state need to pay to catch people not wearing mask. They need contractors to do all these enforcement. There is a global trend to outsource security jobs to contractors these days.
Tank you @Kevin88660 ,No i am in the infantry, paratroopers of the regular army, not in the legion.

Yes exactly, i need to grow those 180k , to 1million at least, then to make it work to get passive incomes.

Hm working as a private contractor yea i can do that, for 10/20k in middle east, or less in France, but it's still having a work, rat race style. If i would have to choose, i would choose to earn less, but as passive incomes. I put freedom before it. Being the boss of a private security company is possible too of course, i have some contacts in the domain in France, Monaco and abroad, that's wouldn't be my first choice though.

I know ppl been in miliary for a time allway have connections spread over the country. Maybe you can use them.

You could put your money into an ETF , fe world ex europe, and start mowing lawns.
there is a good thread about lawn mowing.
You can grow that business into the cities you have your friends spread. Franchise maybe.
Yes that's true @Ing , now i have friends all over France, and the world. One of my former coworker, is now in online marketing, making 15k a month, an other started with 200K in stock market 4 years ago, and now have 2M, some others are in different domains too. I can definitively use my web, and i will do it.

I "just" need to find the way to : fix a problem to a lot of people, or to give value to a lot, or to give an expensive value to a few people. I know a guy who sell private plane, selling just a few of them is of course enough for him.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Tank you @Kevin88660 ,No i am in the infantry, paratroopers of the regular army, not in the legion.

Yes exactly, i need to grow those 180k , to 1million at least, then to make it work to get passive incomes.

Hm working as a private contractor yea i can do that, for 10/20k in middle east, or less in France, but it's still having a work, rat race style. If i would have to choose, i would choose to earn less, but as passive incomes. I put freedom before it. Being the boss of a private security company is possible too of course, i have some contacts in the domain in France, Monaco and abroad, that's wouldn't be my first choice though.
Definitely I was referring to business opportunity when I mention about private security. There is a lot of opportunity in this growing space. Providing training could a angle that doesn’t need a hell of a capital.

I am based in Singapore and there is increasing outsourcing of jobs that is previously done by military personnel to private contractors. Guarding military camps and providing physical education training.

Even in the civilian space there are contractors doing traffic order enforcement. The trend is that governments want police and military to focus on their core duties.

krich1512

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Aug 12, 2020
St Lucia
Hi everybody,

Whatever you do.. don't save long term.. the USD fell 6.8% in 2020 and is being devalued more and more with the free stimulus money and everything else the Govt is borrowing for.. Buy a cash flowing business or cash flowing multifamily RE property.. that way. there's no need to save and cross your fingers and hope for ROI... since you'll get cash flow day 1 of the acquisition

Marcus_aurel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Dec 24, 2020
Definitely I was referring to business opportunity when I mention about private security. There is a lot of opportunity in this growing space. Providing training could a angle that doesn’t need a hell of a capital.

I am based in Singapore and there is increasing outsourcing of jobs that is previously done by military personnel to private contractors. Guarding military camps and providing physical education training.

Even in the civilian space there are contractors doing traffic order enforcement. The trend is that governments want police and military to focus on their core duties.
@Kevin88660 ah yes it is definitively the time of security, and owning a company can be a good way to wealth.
Whatever you do.. don't save long term.. the USD fell 6.8% in 2020 and is being devalued more and more with the free stimulus money and everything else the Govt is borrowing for.. Buy a cash flowing business or cash flowing multifamily RE property.. that way. there's no need to save and cross your fingers and hope for ROI... since you'll get cash flow day 1 of the acquisition
@krich1512 yep true, that's why i don't want my money to sleep on a bank account. And 100K is safe at the bank, but in case of a big crisis, the state (in France at least) has the right to take what is above 100k. The situation nowadays is not stable, so yea i have to secure it too. You are right , my number one choice is buying a cash flowing business, using my money only as a guarantee.
Il est le meilleur en bourse côté francophone , auteur de nombreux best seller
Oui je "connais", il vend surtout ses formations, ses succès en bourse je ne sais pas trop...
Did you sell all your crypto? Im still holding and have $200k profits just not sure what to do yet :)
Congrats for your gains :) me i sold a part of gains and i kept an other part. I kept the XRP though ^^Hm i don't know, it is that volatile for the best and the worst. What i know is that more and more banks are investing in Bitcoin too

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.