The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What the heck is an Industry Multiplier?

agm8478

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 26, 2020
Dallas, TX
Now that there are over 500,000 copies out there in the wild, multiple language translations, etc. this is the thread to let me know that you've read The Millionaire Fastlane .

If you read the book, post here and you will get an icon under your screenname and additional forum privileges.

Feel free to post your comments about the book as well!

Thanks, MJ
Hello!

I am reading the book now. but when I got to Ch 18, I got stuck and re-read it a couple of times before I admitted I was in trouble.

I confess I failed high school economics.

And even after I went back and looked up some of the concepts that were confusing, I am still unable to put the pieces together.

What the heck is an Industry Multiplier? Who picked these numbers out? Are they arbitrary? If not, how did they get here and who made them king?

Please forgive my ignorance, I am but a newly freed slave looking to clean off the dirt from the fields.

April Manning

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

imdchange

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 20, 2020
Pasadena, CA
What the heck is an Industry Multiplier? Who picked these numbers out? Are they arbitrary? If not, how did they get here and who made them king?

Not sure if this helps make things easier, but here goes!

Long story short, An industry multiplier is a number that encompasses the potential value of a company. Typically investment bankers pick out these numbers and 'made them king' based on 'research'. It is somewhat arbitrary, as investment bankers play a 'middle person' and negotiate prices between a company that's a buyer, and the other one that's selling, based on what they know.

STOP HERE if that's sufficient. Otherwise, read on....

To step back a bit, industry multipliers fall under the wider concept of mergers and acquisitions, in which companies consolidate to generally improve their financial performance or reduce their risk within the markets they operate in. This is a situation where one company expresses intent to buy another company. When the two companies are involved in this process, the buyer and the seller have to agree on a price to make the merger happen. Investment bankers facilitate this process, and one of the more common approaches they use to assign value/price to a company is by conducting a comparable company analysis.

The comparable company analysis is a method that comes up with the target company's individual multiplier, and compares it with other similar companies within that industry. The multiplier is calculated based on factors like earnings, potential growth, company size, growth margins, etc.. By doing this across multiple similar companies they can eventually arrive at an average that helps inform future mergers and acquisitions --> the industry multiplier.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hello!

I am reading the book now. but when I got to Ch 18, I got stuck and re-read it a couple of times before I admitted I was in trouble.

I confess I failed high school economics.

And even after I went back and looked up some of the concepts that were confusing, I am still unable to put the pieces together.

Please forgive my ignorance, I am but a newly freed slave looking to clean off the dirt from the fields.

April Manning
Google price to earning ratio. You will lead you. :)

agm8478

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 26, 2020
Dallas, TX
Not sure if this helps make things easier, but here goes!

Long story short, An industry multiplier is a number that encompasses the potential value of a company. Typically investment bankers pick out these numbers and 'made them king' based on 'research'. It is somewhat arbitrary, as investment bankers play a 'middle person' and negotiate prices between a company that's a buyer, and the other one that's selling, based on what they know.

STOP HERE if that's sufficient. Otherwise, read on....

To step back a bit, industry multipliers fall under the wider concept of mergers and acquisitions, in which companies consolidate to generally improve their financial performance or reduce their risk within the markets they operate in. This is a situation where one company expresses intent to buy another company. When the two companies are involved in this process, the buyer and the seller have to agree on a price to make the merger happen. Investment bankers facilitate this process, and one of the more common approaches they use to assign value/price to a company is by conducting a comparable company analysis.

The comparable company analysis is a method that comes up with the target company's individual multiplier, and compares it with other similar companies within that industry. The multiplier is calculated based on factors like earnings, potential growth, company size, growth margins, etc.. By doing this across multiple similar companies they can eventually arrive at an average that helps inform future mergers and acquisitions --> the industry multiplier.
It does make sense to say that the number represents what a given company is worth. Whether I need to be concerned with it right now, right where I'm at, is debatable. (I had a much longer and more acerbic response better left for another time. I am a terrible smart aleck when left to my own devices.) But thank you so much for the explanation. I am reading the book carefully and taking notes so that I can actually make use of the tools provided. Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you own a business that has predictable profit, it can be sold at a multiple -- it is a FACT of finance. The question is, what is the multiple? For private internet businesses it usually ranges from 2-5X net profit per year... so a business that profits $100K per year would be worth $200-500K. The multiple is part of the negotiation. If you try selling a business at a 1X multiple, buyers would line up down the street. Try selling at 50X, and you get no buyers.

To see this in action for public companies (Facebook, Google, Honeywell) simple look at their price-to-earnings ratio ... if it is 10, the company's stock sells at 10X earnings, the multiple is 10.

Hope this helps explain.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.