The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What should I do for college?

Anything related to matters of the mind

SoyaSauce

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 30, 2022
Hello, my name is Alex. Am currently a high school senior wanting to get rich early rather than late. I have been reading the millionare fastlane book and now am starting to thinking about my choices in college.

I know that college is now very expensive and not worth it in the long run. Also my math class is making me do financial literacy but all that is just some BS plan to make me stuck in the slowlane. I don't want to get stuck in that scenario but at the same time, my parents wants me to go to college. I completely understand why since they know the risks and sacrifices that they went through which is why they would want me to go to college. They have the slowlane mindset which theres nothing that I can do to change their mind off.

So here's my plan, am planning to go to a college that is very cheap. I know my parents are fine with it and can pay it since the cost is like four digits per semester and my school which is private is like 10,000 dollars per year.

But at the same time am not very confident about myself since am going to a college that isn't good on paper. Am comparing myself to others in this scenarios since my friends are applying to low acceptence rate colleges like harvard, columbia, mit, tufts with 4.0+ gpa and 1400+ sat scores while am with 3.7 gpa and 1050 sat score. Am not very confident in my plan since am scared.

Any advice in my college plan and my confidence?
Thank you so much.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
It's great and impressive that you're reading MJ's book(s?) at such a young age!

College doesn't necessarily have to be a waste of time and money, though it easily can.
As a recent college graduate, here's my advice:
  1. Everyone will have their own opinions and advice on college that are formed based on their personal beliefs and experiences. Keep in mind that college is not a one-size-fits-all experience.

2. Ask questions. Ask your professors and teaching assistants as many questions as you can. But perhaps most importantly, ask yourself questions. What do I want out of this and how can I get the most out of it? Do I feel like I'm working towards something? What am I learning/not learning? How is my college experience going to serve me after I graduate? Am I developing strong networks? Etc. etc.

3. Keep your reason for going to college in mind. What is your end goal? What do you want out of the degree?

4. Grades and test scores won't mean anything in the end. School is measured in grades and test scores, education and success are not.

5. You are in control of your life more than you may realize. Taking action will get you farther than you may think. Low confidence? A million internet strangers could tell you that you're great, but it wouldn't change how you feel or perceive yourself. You have to do the work to shift your attitude and change your outlook. Don't know how to do that? There are lots of easily accessible resources available - books, videos, blogs, psychologists/therapists, friends, etc.

6. Embrace failure, but don't be reckless. Many invaluable life lessons are learned through mistakes.

7. Dropping out is an option. Dropping out might look like a failure to your parents or friends, but to others (like me!) it would seem a courageous act. Do what you need to do for yourself. If you aren't working towards being the best version of yourself, how can you give your best to those around you and the rest of the world?

chazwazzer

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Jun 22, 2022
Some may not agree with my but I highly recommend if you go to college that you focus on developing relationships with the faculty and alumni and leverage the internship opportunities. You can get an education anywhere but the people and businesses the school plugs you into is more valuable than any degree you get anywhere.

REV5028

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 29, 2022
New Mexico
Some may not agree with my but I highly recommend if you go to college that you focus on developing relationships with the faculty and alumni and leverage the internship opportunities. You can get an education anywhere but the people and businesses the school plugs you into is more valuable than any degree you get anywhere.
I agree that wise networking can be priceless.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.