The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What happened in 1971?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
interesting

w/o too much politics, thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@Kak -- might be a good episode.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I have my suspicions about what happened just by that date and the charts... But I'll dive into this and find out what else was going on in 1971, if anything of substance.

My interest is piqued.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
We got off the gold standard.

That's the big one.

Lesser known (or perhaps credited) Jimmy Hoffa stepped down from running a union. (Or to put it another way, 1971 marks the beginning of the decline in influence of the labor movement.)

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
It’s pretty obvious who’s to blame.:rofl:

It’s not what backs the money it’s who controls and manipulates its price/quantity.

The majority of gold today is owned by big institutions. The reason bankers loved gold was because it was easy to monopolize and manipulate. They didn’t like silver because it was more plentiful.

Back then money was created through a pen and paper as an accounting entry. Today it’s created out of a digital keystroke. The digital age was definitely a blessing because we can put an end to this government/central bank fiduciary partnership scam through our own money like crypto/blockchain.

I’ve notice that a lot of “old timer” investors who used to be skeptics of crypto are now believers. It looks like 2020 definitely exposed a lot.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
It has been a process... It didn't just all happen at once...

In 1913 the fed was created, but they didn't have all of the powers they have today. They were however able to set rates.

FDR attacked the gold standard system in the 30's too. Made banking with it more burdensome and IMO basically was the move that made gold "not money." Creating less accountability.

Then in the 40s they had the Bretton Woods agreement where a bunch of countries all decided to fix their exchange rates to the USD instead of gold. They all held each other "accountable..."

As you can see the slippery slope is getting steeper and steeper as time goes on...

The basically scrapping of that original agreement was in 1971. So, less accountability.

Also in 71 Nixon completely severed all of the dollar's direct relationship to gold. They no longer allowed redemption for gold at a fixed value. No accountability.

So most credit Nixon with taking us off the gold standard. Credit being a funny word.

There was still the final nail in the coffin though even though the fed was already, by this time, acting in a political fashion. Probably just some final repeals and legal work in 73.

Basically, over the last century, currency has moved from something people could depend on. Something NOT controlled imperfect people with human motivations, into something that is controlled by people. People called "experts," another fake science to hold over the heads of the masses. They have been expanding the balance sheet ever since with a little detour from Paul Volker during the Carter and Reagan years. It is VERY tough for them to do things like that.

A true capitalist loves a "constant" when there is an exchange... We treat the dollar as a constant even though it isn't. That is evident with most people preferring to finance big purchases now than ever before. Why? To pay it back with less valuable money.

It all comes down to a devaluation and debasement of currency which leads to INFLATION. Inflation was a well documented problem in the 70s.

I listened to a good podcast on this process from Bob Murphy a few months ago. He is a just little dry, but a brilliant economist and a good teacher.

All of this said, I can very easily explain inflation's relationship with the phenomenon in 71 and why 2020 is going to look like round two. I'll take to the show for that. Lol, my sponsor will like it.

Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
We got off the gold standard.

That's the big one.

Lesser known (or perhaps credited) Jimmy Hoffa stepped down from running a union. (Or to put it another way, 1971 marks the beginning of the decline in influence of the labor movement.)
Rise of the Asian Tiger Economies. Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea and Hong Kong.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
America has been buying things it can't afford ever since. The question is: when is it going to stop?

Peter Schiff has a funny metaphor for this. It goes something like this...

There are 4 Asians and an American on a deserted island...

One Asian, hunts. Another Asian fishes and gathers. Another Asian cooks. The American draws the pictures of dead American presidents for the Asians who, in exchange for those pictures, let him eat.

How long before they get sick of the pictures? They are certainly coming here and buying our HARD assets with these "soft" pictures. So they might already be turning up the heat. Who can blame them?

This gets in to the fallacy of spending being the fake science "driver of the economy" vs production and true value creation. Drop a billion dollars on that island... Hell drop a thousand london bars of gold on the beach. Will it drive their economy? No.

Last edited:

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
@Kak

one of your quotes "The bigger the business is, the more you can weather the storm."

I believe It will take another 50 years or something soo radical to break American economy.

NOTE: I am from India

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
@Kak

one of your quotes "The bigger the business is, the more you can weather the storm."

I believe It will take another 50 years or something soo radical to break American economy.

NOTE: I am from India

Haha! I love the implication that the American government is a business. It has just been legitimized as "the power that be" by the people who serve it.

The American economy is a bubble based on a currency that is a bubble. I believe it is already broken. We have just been patching holes in the sinking ship for 100 years. When will it finally be underwater? Who knows, but the trend is in place.

Unfortunately they currently and will continue to blame capitalism and evil business people for it's descent.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
1971. A very important year.

I was born.

Oh, and that gold / fiat thing happened?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I’m convinced that a lot of economic data is manipulated and skewed to make it look better than it really is.

We have had massive inflation in the last 50 years and yet “inflation is low”. I’m guessing there is more than one way to calculate real vs nominal prices.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
D

Deleted78083

Peter Schiff has a funny metaphor for this. It goes something like this...

There are 4 Asians and an American on a deserted island...

One Asian, hunts. Another Asian fishes and gathers. Another Asian cooks. The American draws the pictures of dead American presidents for the Asians who, in exchange for those pictures, let him eat.

How long before they get sick of the pictures? They are certainly coming here and buying our HARD assets with these "soft" pictures. So they might already be turning up the heat. Who can blame them?

This gets in to the fallacy of spending being the fake science "driver of the economy" vs production and true value creation. Drop a billion dollars on that island... Hell drop a thousand london bars of gold on the beach. Will it drive their economy? No.
Yes, because at the end of the day, money does not matter. It is about production. And once you compensante decrease of production with the money printer....bad things happen. The US have survided so far because it prints money the world needs.
What will happen when there will be too many dollars on the planet? Or what will happen when people will use another currency? No wonder the G7 announced a ruling on crypto.

(I know we said no politics but hear me out)
Ironically, Chinese democracy is a nightmare for the US. They already do better everything the US is doing - but they dont inspire trust because everyone knows the government is in every Chinese company.

This is why nobody happily deals with China.

Should China become democratic, they will offer the best the world has to offer, and the West will lose it all.

Last edited by a moderator:

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Technology and communications finally allowed the entry of Asia into the modern global market.

In 1970 General electric started the trend for modern outsourcing manufacturing which by default means importing cheap wages.

This has now shifted to the Service Industry. India's global share in IT alone has grown in the last 20 years from 2.5% to 20%

Expect to see Indian Service Companies opening offices in the US and UK soon just like Japanese car companies opened manufacturing plants back then.

Just like Japan and South Korea are no longer our 'backroom boys' China and India wont be either for much longer.

So no reason for UK/US companies to pay much.

Dan

Last edited:

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Also what happened in '71?

gdp inf.adjusted.png
... nothing

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Gold was $40 in 1971.

If someone had bought $100,000 worth of it back then... They would have bought 2500 ounces of gold.

2500 ounces of gold at today's prices... Can be traded back into dollars for... $4,625,000

The S&P was at 98... LOL that's so weird.

Same hundred grand in the S&P would have been $3,745,000 today.

People say gold only "goes up" when the dollar goes down... Ok, it did. What is the S&P's excuse then? The answer is it is supply and demand driven, not directly inverse to the dollar.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
One HUGE thing you have to be careful about when reading stuff like this is, 'what do they consider a real wage?' Last time I checked, the Bureau of Labor Statistics does not include employee benefits in what it considers a wage. So ... as health insurance rates have skyrocketed over the years, the portion of money paid by a company for an employee that the BLS considers a wage has decreased.

Any time I hear people that study this stuff for a living talk about how wages have stagnated, I know they have an agenda. They know better and they're deliberately messing with the data to make their point.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Gold was $40 in 1971.

If someone had bought $100,000 worth of it back then... They would have bought 2500 ounces of gold.

2500 ounces of gold at today's prices... Can be traded back into dollars for... $4,625,000

The S&P was at 98... LOL that's so weird.

Same hundred grand in the S&P would have been $3,745,000 today.

People say gold only "goes up" when the dollar goes down... Ok, it did. What is the S&P's excuse then? The answer is it is supply and demand driven, not directly inverse to the dollar

This is not factoring the current paper manipulation in gold to suppress its price.

Russia and China own a lot more gold than they declare to have.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Bingo, that was my first thought.

Where central banking really hit the NOS button. Like Paul Walker on cocaine.

yKPeSlP.gif

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
It has been a process... It didn't just all happen at once...

In 1913 the fed was created, but they didn't have all of the powers they have today. They were however able to set rates.

FDR attacked the gold standard system in the 30's too. Made banking with it more burdensome and IMO basically was the move that made gold "not money." Creating less accountability.

Then in the 40s they had the Bretton Woods agreement where a bunch of countries all decided to fix their exchange rates to the USD instead of gold. They all held each other "accountable..."

As you can see the slippery slope is getting steeper and steeper as time goes on...

The basically scrapping of that original agreement was in 1971. So, less accountability.

Also in 71 Nixon completely severed all of the dollar's direct relationship to gold. They no longer allowed redemption for gold at a fixed value. No accountability.

So most credit Nixon with taking us off the gold standard. Credit being a funny word.

There was still the final nail in the coffin though even though the fed was already, by this time, acting in a political fashion. Probably just some final repeals and legal work in 73.

Basically, over the last century, currency has moved from something people could depend on. Something NOT controlled imperfect people with human motivations, into something that is controlled by people. People called "experts," another fake science to hold over the heads of the masses. They have been expanding the balance sheet ever since with a little detour from Paul Volker during the Carter and Reagan years. It is VERY tough for them to do things like that.

A true capitalist loves a "constant" when there is an exchange... We treat the dollar as a constant even though it isn't. That is evident with most people preferring to finance big purchases now than ever before. Why? To pay it back with less valuable money.

It all comes down to a devaluation and debasement of currency which leads to INFLATION. Inflation was a well documented problem in the 70s.

I listened to a good podcast on this process from Bob Murphy a few months ago. He is a just little dry, but a brilliant economist and a good teacher.

All of this said, I can very easily explain inflation's relationship with the phenomenon in 71 and why 2020 is going to look like round two. I'll take to the show for that. Lol, my sponsor will like it.
Just want to jump in and say Bob Murphy is the man. The P.I.G. to Capitalism put so many pieces together for me back in the day and paved the way for reading more serious economics and libertarian works. He also introduced me to whole life policies, a system that's been working great for me.

Haven't checked out the new podcast yet, but I'm excited for it. I've listened to almost every ContraKrugman, every episode Bob did on the Tom Woods show, even some episodes of the Lara Murphy Report . I also love watching Bob debate and lecture.

You can probably find a video of Bob explaining exactly what happened in 1971, in thorough technical details.

Hopefully this endorsement catches the eye of anyone here who wants to understand a lot more about economics.

Also, the Harry Browne books from the 1970's probably answer this question from a contemporary point of view, e.g. "You Can Profit From A Monetary Crisis", or whatever that title is.

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
It’s also helpful to remember that any economist at the Fed or in some newspaper is very much a shill. There is a reason why economics is a notoriously divided field.

:rofl:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.