The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What does a guy have to do to earn 100 points around here.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
This is getting CRAZY!

I just had a guy threaten me in the showers that I had to give him cigarettes in exchange for speed.

SPEED POST Is that what he was talking about????

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
This is getting CRAZY!

I just had a guy threaten me in the showers that I had to give him cigarettes in exchange for speed.

That was me and I still didn't get my speed either you stingy muscle head.:cool:

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
I've been here a week, maybe two. I'm at 40 speed in 46 posts. I certainly haven't been excluded from the "old boys club" you speak about.

I try to add value with every post. I speed post others who I think added value as well.

I also rarely say "Speed+" when I speed someone even though I read someplace this is a good idea - they know I did it for them in their notifications, not everyone needs to see me circle jerk about it.

Add value, be insightful, give out constructive criticism, post your growing experiences, your successes, your failures, mindsets that change your life, etc...

I get you were asking because of a misunderstanding of a goal (100 posts vs 100 speed) but in general you should see the speed indicator as a measure of how much value a person has had on others. Actively expending effort to increase this number to gain "cred" is really missing the point of it.

Point taken. But my retort is simply that I noticed a trend of some newer members contributing well thought out, insightful post and receiving very little if any speed at all. While in comparison more well known and respected members can get speed if they fart in the right direction. Not to discount anyone's value just a topic of discussion.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Yussef again.

Patrick you know I like to mess with you. You were one of my first buddies on this forum. You kept me grounded when I took things a little too personally a few times. That's why you got lucky enough for me to adopt you as my cousin. Your welcome.

I bet when we have the family reunion you and I will be the ones arguing about politics the whole time, after we brainstorm on making our next million of course.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY

LMAO!

My rule is that I give speed when someone contributes value to the forum, to me, or when someone is taking massive action. I used to worry about speed for some reason. Now, as long as I'm contributing and taking action, I could care less if my speed was at ZERO.

“The value of a man resides in what he gives and not in what he is capable of receiving.”

Albert Einstein

Ãœbertreffen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 17, 2012
[video=youtube_share;JRpouK0KmWQ]http://youtu.be/JRpouK0KmWQ[/video]

You ain't cool unless you got SPEED! :D

- Devin

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The speed system runs exactly as the business world.

Speed = Money = I'm going to BUY your product.
Likes = Smiles/Thanks/Agreement = I like your product, but not enough to open up my wallet and buy.

Notice that the highest speed persons at this forum happen to be the most successful. Strange? Nope. They figured out that value, attracts money. (Value attracts SPEED.)

I noticed a trend of some newer members contributing well thought out, insightful post and receiving very little if any speed at all.

Because in real life, reputation and track records matter.

If I released a new book, I'd generate 1000's in sales within a week.
If a newbie did the same , he wouldn't.

Such is reputation.

I used to worry about speed for some reason. Now, as long as I'm contributing and taking action, I could care less if my speed was at ZERO.

Ahhh... so you said "forget about money, I'm focusing on value!" -- and then suddenly, the speed came. Ironic ehh?

MJ set the system up as a mirror to the markets. What you value and think is great, the market may not like and therefore think of it as not valuable. I have had it done to me as well. You post an elaborate, thought provoking post and it is virtually ignored.

Perfectly stated. The market is the ultimate arbiter of this thing we called VALUE. Here at the forum, that is SPEED.

IMO, most people are focused on the wrong things. Those focused on speed, attract no speed. Those focused on money, attract no money.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
IMO, you're focused on the wrong things. Those focused on speed, attract no speed. Those focused on money, attract no money.

That was the old me. Kinda like most in the forum. I haven't been that way in quite a while.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
That was the old me. Kinda like most in the forum. I haven't been that way in quite a while.

Sorry, the way I worded it made it sound like I was referring to you ... definitely wasn't! :)

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Sorry, the way I worded it made it sound like I was referring to you ... definitely wasn't!

It appeared like that at first. Then I went back and re-read it, and thought that you probably weren't talking about me. lol No Worries MJ.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012

Speed = Money = I'm going to BUY your product.
Likes = Smiles/Thanks/Agreement = I like your product, but not enough to open up my wallet and buy.

Notice that the highest speed persons at this forum happen to be the most successful. Strange? Nope. They figured out that value, attracts money. (Value attracts SPEED.)

Because in real life, reputation and track records matter.

If I released a new book, I'd generate 1000's in sales within a week.
If a newbie did the same , he wouldn't.

Such is reputation.

Ahhh... so you said "forget about money, I'm focusing on value!" -- and then suddenly, the speed came. Ironic ehh?

Perfectly stated. The market is the ultimate arbiter of this thing we called VALUE. Here at the forum, that is SPEED.

IMO, most people are focused on the wrong things. Those focused on speed, attract no speed. Those focused on money, attract no money.

You know I am not going to argue with you MJ, I am not crazy. I agree and I didn't want anyone to think I was focused on speed. I though it was a good topic of conversation to get inside members heads to discover what they value on the forum. Because I want to be considered a member that brings value. The only indicator outside of polling is "speed." If it were not significant it would not be a part of our profiles. Right?

But after I opened up the convo I discovered that some were confused about how and why speed is given or what it means to have speed. I just wanted to shed light on the issue because some will not accept you as a friend if you have not earned a certain amount of speed and I respect that. I for one blog, comment, like other's post, share my business experiences good and bad, debate, recommend books, post podcast yadda yadda yadda and I have just (since this posting) earned 35 speed points. That is my only point. Just trying to figure out the formula..Just like in business if you don't know something..Ask right?

JAJT just mentioned that he has been here a week or 2 and already has 40 speed points so I took a look at his profile and he is certainly a good member but it has me scratching my head now.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
You know I am not going to argue with you MJ, I am not crazy. I agree and I didn't want anyone to think I was focused on speed. I though it was a good topic of conversation to get inside members heads to discover what they value on the forum. Because I want to be considered a member that brings value. The only indicator outside of polling is "speed." If it were not significant it would not be a part of our profiles. Right?

But after I opened up the convo I discovered that some were confused about how and why speed is given or what it means to have speed. I just wanted to shed light on the issue because some will not accept you as a friend if you have not earned a certain amount of speed and I respect that. I for one blog, comment, like other's post, share my business experiences good and bad, debate, recommend books, post podcast yadda yadda yadda and I have just (since this posting) earned 35 speed points. That is my only point. Just trying to figure out the formula..Just like in business if you don't know something..Ask right?

JAJT just mentioned that he has been here a week or 2 and already has 40 so I took a look at his profile and he is certainly a good member but I can't seem to understand the speed system.

How you choose to accept this is up to you but since you are making the observation.... When you first came on here I wasn't sure you would last. You were argumentative and your style was abrasive. I even made comments to other members that I didn't want to read your posts or comment on anything you have posted.

To your credit, something has changed. You are not arguing as forcefully and seem to be just expressing your observations. I believe your early behavior hurt you and may still be hurting you in terms of gaining speed.

Conversely, I have not seen JAJT engage in any negative behavior(short of attempting misguided humor :))

I guess it takes some time to undo things that have already been done.

Good luck

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
How you choose to accept this is up to you but since you are making the observation.... When you first came on here I wasn't sure you would last. You were argumentative and your style was abrasive. I even made comments to other members that I didn't want to read your posts or comment on anything you have posted.

To your credit, something has changed. You are not arguing as forcefully and seem to be just expressing your observations. I believe your early behavior hurt you and may still be hurting you in terms of gaining speed.

Conversely, I have not seen JAJT engage in any negative behavior(short of attempting misguided humor :))

I guess it takes some time to undo things that have already been done.

Good luck

Runum I accept that and just as a side note regardless of how you felt or feel about me I have followed your post and have the utmost amount of respect for you. I have also read where other members have gotten off to a rocky beginning on the forum and have changed their wicked ways.

I believe that knowledge put into action transforms. I have become a product of what I have learned here.

But in all fairness if speed is an issue of value that is something a little different than popularity. I accept that human nature and emotion will always play a role whether we want to admit it or not. But I, like many others that joined this forum so that we could better ourselves, have the ability to be introspective. And I have stated it to newer members that I was far too thin skinned in the beginning and I got called out as a result.

Not only do I not argue as forcefully as I did when I first joined, please fact check me on this, but I do not argue at all. Even when I disagree with someone I still try to find a point of agreement or common ground to connect us.

Just wanted to clear that up a little. So to any and all members that may have been offended by my freshman actions, please know that this site is about transforming minds and behavior. Some of us need more than others. But know and accept that it is possible.

So if I offended anyone (new or old members) please accept my most sincerest apologies and do not allow the past to distort the future. I plan on being around here a long time:sorry:

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Runum I accept that and just as a side note regardless of how you felt or feel about me I have followed your post and have the utmost amount of respect for you. I have also read where other members have gotten off to a rocky beginning on the forum and have changed their wicked ways.

I believe that knowledge put into action transforms. I have become a product of what I have learned here.

But in all fairness if speed is an issue of value that is something a little different than popularity. I accept that human nature and emotion will always play a role whether we want to admit it or not. But I, like many others that joined this forum so that we could better ourselves, have the ability to be introspective. And I have stated it to newer members that I was far too thin skinned in the beginning and I got called out as a result.

Not only do I not argue as forcefully, please fact check me on this, but I do not argue at all. Even when I disagree with someone I still try to find a point of agreement or common ground to connect us.

Just wanted to clear that up a little. So to any and all members that may have been offended by my freshman actions, please know that this site is about transforming minds and behavior. Some of us need more than others. But know and accept that it is possible.

So if I offended anyone (new or old members) please accept my most sincerest apologies and do not allow the past to distort the future. I plan on being around here a long time:sorry:

Good to hear. Welcome aboard and glad you are still here.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
I was just thinking about my reaction the first time one of my ideas got shot down on the forum. It was blunt force trauma and although I can laugh at it now I still laugh when I see it happen to a new member because I know what must have gone through their head when they read some of the replies to ideas they feel passionate about. I appreciate it for what it is now but it takes a little getting used to at first.

Hey it's better to be awakened by the ugly truth than put to sleep by a pretty lie.

yahdmon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 3, 2012
I live in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
So true and trust me, I have met some very pretty lies in my lifetime -- sure you have too.

If I was sure no one had said this before, I would Tweet it myself... lol

I was just thinking about my reaction the first time one of my ideas got shot down on the forum. It was blunt force trauma and although I can laugh at it now I still laugh when I see it happen to a new member because I know what must have gone through their head when they read some of the replies to ideas they feel passionate about. I appreciate it for what it is now but it takes a little getting used to at first.

Hey it's better to be awakened by the ugly truth than put to sleep by a pretty lie.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair

Excellent point. That's one of the main reasons I'm here. Pretty lies only encourage the waste of time and money. Not saying anyone has to be mean about it, but honest criticism is a whole lot more useful.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
So true and trust me, I have met some very pretty lies in my lifetime -- sure you have too.

If I was sure no one had said this before, I would Tweet it myself... lol

I did not make that saying up but I read it many years ago and use it often. I guess it's mine now

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011

In the real world you can donate. Can I donate my speed to other members on the forum?

Here is my recent speed:

Screen Shot 2012-09-02 at 5.12.07 PM.jpg

Lucas Reis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Aug 19, 2012
São Paulo, Brazil
Ok, I understand the analogy of SPEED and business, add value to your posts and really contribute to a better forum and threads.
But my question is, as a young and still naive guy, who still has no business, just learning and studying life, business and its possibilities, how can I add value in a positive way? I would love to tell the story of how I run my business and really contribute, but I'm really still far from this reality...

Please, I don't want to give the impression that I'm putting constraints to the value I could bring because of my conditions, age, status, place in life and etc, but I really do want to add value and not just read the posts and go away..

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This is getting CRAZY!

You shower with other fastlaners?

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
You shower with other fastlaners?

You mean you don't ? :rolleyes:

On another note, I don't even know why this thread is still open. The last thing you should be worried about is how much speed you are getting.

If you deserve it, the speed will come to you. (I see this in other forums all the time. Someone makes some half-a**ed thread about some method in broken English and at the end of the thread in size 95 font they write " IF YOU LIKE THIS PRESS SPEED+ AND THANKS"

... Everytime I see that, I remember why I value this forum so much.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Ok, I understand the analogy of SPEED and business, add value to your posts and really contribute to a better forum and threads.
But my question is, as a young and still naive guy, who still has no business, just learning and studying life, business and its possibilities, how can I add value in a positive way? I would love to tell the story of how I run my business and really contribute, but I'm really still far from this reality...

Please, I don't want to give the impression that I'm putting constraints to the value I could bring because of my conditions, age, status, place in life and etc, but I really do want to add value and not just read the posts and go away..

Easy answer. You are a young man from Brazil. Most of us are in USA. Share everything you can about business and doing business in Brazil. Not many others here can provide that information. We're all ears.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
You mean you don't ? :rolleyes:

On another note, I don't even know why this thread is still open. The last thing you should be worried about is how much speed you are getting.

If you deserve it, the speed will come to you. (I see this in other forums all the time. Someone makes some half-a**ed thread about some method in broken English and at the end of the thread in size 95 font they write " IF YOU LIKE THIS PRESS SPEED+ AND THANKS"

... Everytime I see that, I remember why I value this forum so much.

OK Truth, I was having a pretty positive day until you said that. The reason the post is still open is because obviously some members have things about the topic they want to discuss. We talk about a broad range of things on this forum from Money to MMA and if one does not care for the particular subject matter he/she is free to opt out of reading or engaging others in the post.

But when you jump on someone's post that generates a little buzz and basically dis the topic and critique people's grammar you may rub someone the wrong way. So in a very nice way I am trying to say that you could have been a little more tactful in your approach. Besides I am sure someone learned something from this.

Let me explain why speed is important to me. I learned a while back that if you want to be successful then imitate the actions of successful people. If I am contributing what I consider to be valuable information via blogs, likes, feedback, experiences, and moral support but the members reading my post do not add to my reputation I have to question if what I am contributing is valuable. That may not be important to some but to me speed is confirmation that I am saying and doing things that fall in line with people I admire.

So please do not equate my motives to whatever others may be doing on other forums. Speed is a part of the forum whether we acknowledge it or not and it appears to be a little subjective. Man thrives off of incentives and I believe at least a few more people are aware of those little green bars because of this post.

D

DeletedUser2

speedposts.jpgyou know what would be a good thing to add to the speed thing? a chart, showing people how long it took to get the speed you have, maybe with what threads you commented on, or started that got you the most likes, or interactions.

Now THAT would be cool.

I have been away from the forum for a bit, building another business, so my speed, didn't climb as much, but I do check in ever now and then, and wow, its climbed a bit higher, hmm wonder why? I would love to be able to see how other peoples did.

Mostly because Im just curious how valuable a person can be.

Z

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
you know what would be a good thing to add to the speed thing? a chart, showing people how long it took to get the speed you have, maybe with what threads you commented on, or started that got you the most likes, or interactions.

I second that. Good idea.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I saw a guy come in here two weeks ago and post an intro post and a thank you to MJ. He read the book, built and sold a fastlane business, and stopped in to credit MJ for the inspiration contained within the Millionaire Fastlane .

His speed # on the forum was a meteoric 1 day rise. Fastest speed #'s I have ever seen as people were encouraged by his story.

ONE POST. That's all it took.

Other people here have posted hundreds of posts with no speed. There's a reason.

It's fundamental to the message contained within the Millionaire Fastlane . Add value to people's lives, and it will yield results.

I could care less about speed numbers. It's a fictitious, symbolic number.

Please don't strive for higher speed numbers. Add value. People are here to learn from you. Let your enjoyment from this forum be what you can add to it, and take away from it.

When I was an employee, I never wanted a 5***** review. I just wanted cash. My self worth was not found in my jackass bosses evaluation of my performance. They can keep the bullshit, the employee of the month awards, and the gold stars. I knew who I was, and how I performed. All I wanted from them was cash. I didn't need then, and don't need now... a pat on the back.

If you find your value here or anywhere in the number of gold stars you collect, you will never progress beyond the surface.

The world rewards you in cash. If this forum paid cash for speed, I would strive. It's doesn't, so I don't. This aint kindergarten. Add value. Find your esteem and accomplishment in the people you are able to impact along the way. Speed is pretend.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.