The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What do you think of my website idea "Vacation Discovery"?

Idea threads

Zachary Burt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 22, 2011
San Francisco
Vacation Discovery....like StumbleUpon, but shows awesome places you can go within a certain budget..

maybe categories
"Castles"
"East Asia"
"Tropical"
"Waterfalls"
"Jungles"
"Deserts"

It would have to be:

1) Very picture-oriented, so you can fantasize and browse (escapism)

2) Able to filter by price easily, and include airfare

Good business model, fun to use, win win win.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Zachary Burt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 22, 2011
San Francisco
I guess the question is Cost of Customer Acquisition going to be cheaper LTV?
I wonder what the economics of travel commissions are... If you get 5% of whatever it costs to book a vacation... and people are booking $1000 vacations ... that's $50.
And assume that 1% of visitors who visit the site end up using us to book a vacation thats 50 cents a user.
And I think you can target YUPpies on Facebook for around that

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Actually Zach, You should be able to find in this type of deal (specialty vacations)you can get 15%-18%...

Before starting this, you need to study up on the Travel industry.

Zachary Burt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 22, 2011
San Francisco
OK, good call. I think it would also make a good business to sell industry reports. For example if I wanted to read up on the travel industry where would I start? But I'd gladly pay $99 for a full report on all the latest data. Top websites, spending habits, demographics, preferences, blah blah blah....

Where do you go if you want to read up on an industry?

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Hey! I think it's a pretty creative idea... if I were you, I'd brainstorm to think of all the revenue channels that you could create from your website, then pick the very best ones.

Hopefully, you've read "the book" and you will keep those principles in mind when choosing.

As far as research goes, Google is a great place to find information for free. I wouldn't actually PAY for information until you are MUCH further along in your idea. As far as putting together a guide, that would be cool - especially if you are thinking of having a blog as well (perhaps targeted towards travel agents or other professionals) and you could provide the guide either for free (as a prize for signing up for your e-mail list, for example), or sell it for a small price (yay!).

If you get serious about this, I think you could go really far!

Good luck!!!

Zachary Burt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 22, 2011
San Francisco
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I am going to mull on this idea. I feel like I go after too many base hits and should be going after bigger markets. I think this is a bigger market. Since it's a serious endeavor it requires more planning and hemming and hawing before I take the plunge. In the mean time I would love to continue discussing and brainstorming. I think ultimately the success of this website simply depends on design. So the question is whether I can find it in myself to create an epic design or whether I can convince an epic designer to join me. Of course I can hire an epic designer but the really good designers - I mean the *really* good ones - cost in the neighborhood of $500/hr. And I feel that is too much to invest for a not yet vetted idea. So let it stew, let it stew..

And yes I have read "the book". How do I get the badge from MJ? ;)

Zachary Burt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 22, 2011
San Francisco
Let me clarify
In this case the design is an end itself not a means to an end
For example this forum has awful design. I just hit "reply to thread" and it deleted my post, I meant to hit quick reply. I'm unable to stay logged in via FB connect. The color scheme is annoying. But it works and I use it because it solves my problem, finding a forum to connect with likeminded people.
In the case of my project the design is an end in itself. It would require a visual designer AND a ux designer all rolled into one. Someone gifted and 99th %ile. And those don't come cheap. Think Wufoo, MailCheat(Chimp), DustinCurtis.

onehundredk

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 26, 2011
caribbean
Don't worry about design first stick with a basic design first if you have pictures on your website then it will look good enough. Your main concern should be seo and the keywords you want to target in Google. Also check out commission junction it has lots of affiliates for travel like expedia.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
the really good designers - I mean the *really* good ones - cost in the neighborhood of $500/hr. And I feel that is too much to invest for a not yet vetted idea.

your thought process is backwards.

you need to solve how you're going to create an atm machine. then worry about making your atm machine pretty. not the other way around.

Zachary Burt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 22, 2011
San Francisco
your thought process is backwards.

you need to solve how you're going to create an atm machine. then worry about making your atm machine pretty. not the other way around.

did you even read my post?
a little slow in the head maybe?
i said here the design IS the end
that is, the design is the factor that makes it go viral
not some slow-a$$, super-competitive SEO process.. that's another "me-too"
"if you keep doing what everyone else is doing you are going to get the results everyone else has gotten" "everyone would be rich"

most SEO chumps are losers:rofl:

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX

i hope that's not it

"if you keep doing what everyone else is doing you are going to get the results everyone else has gotten" "everyone would be rich"

i didn't suggest seo at all, but sounds like you're a bit more advanced talking about all this viral stuff so i'm not the right person to give advice.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Let me clarify....
The color scheme is annoying. But it works and I use it because it solves my problem, finding a forum to connect with likeminded people.

Not so sure that we are all that like minded. I usually don't insult the host of the house when I come in for a visit.

mrhahn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Apr 21, 2011
San Diego
For example this forum has awful design. I just hit "reply to thread" and it deleted my post, I meant to hit quick reply. I'm unable to stay logged in via FB connect. The color scheme is annoying.

Yup there's a lot of things I would change about vbulletin.
I'm pretty picky with site design, but I have no issues with this color scheme.

Making a lot of friends here I see. If you want to ask for advice I'd suggest being a bit more open to criticism.

SEO is such a broad term. That shows your lack of imagination and ability to think outside the box.

I understand where you're coming from, the design is what is going to make the first impression and give it that wow factor to spread. However, what we're trying to get at is that it's not everything. There's a lot more to think about than just UX.

livitup

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
May 27, 2011
So one thing I am not sure of is if

• you plan to be a travel agent and create packages, and then market those packages using an innovative website
or
  • you plan to advertise the travel packages put together by other people and get paid for leads or commissions.

Depending on how you answer I have some comments that might help you, and some questions for you.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I think ultimately the success of this website simply depends on design.

Please explain. Do you mean design as it look and feel or features?

I don't agree with you but I'm curious to understand why you think that? What vacation sites are you going to try to compete against?

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa

Oh this isn't going to go well.

Btw, Pretty doesn't go viral, entertaining and useful go viral. Facemash sure wasn't pretty.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011

Hey slow down with stuff like this, mate, snowbank was just making a motivating post to help you out :hurray:

PS: Having a cocky mind like this won't help your bank and certainly won't make you more friends that will help you out around here

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011

Just curious:

Show us ONE website that has gone viral because of it's design and NOT because of the idea/content etc.

Hint: Take a look at the top companies in the world and you'll see many of them that made even billions without having the best looking design.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia

Fantastic, we have found another punk a$$ 23 yr old kid who thinks he knows it all and doesn't want to listen to those who are much more successful.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
craigslist is beautiful

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts