The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What do i do with my life?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Hey guys thanks for all your input. Today I'm going to order the book, then get a job and save money to start a business. I'm tired of my shit life.

Good.

Don't forget to talk to your uncle.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
:bsmeter:

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Hey guys thanks for all your input. Today I'm going to order the book, then get a job and save money to start a business. I'm tired of my shit life.
Forget trying to get a job. The only thing you've expressed interest in is starting your own landscaping business. Jack's advice is so spot-on it isn't even funny. Your attitude bites, and whoever you apply to will see that off the bat. If they don't, and the do hire you, it's only a matter of time before you're gone.

Don't dick around with a job. Do EXACTLY what Jack said. You want your own business, be your own boss, make good money, then you need to learn how to generate the work. I couldn't think of a more productive thing for you to do than drum up more work for your uncle's business. You'll learn a ton that you can apply to whatever you choose to do later in life.

If your life sucks, then make it not suck. Put something valuable into it and you'll get something valuable out.

theDarkness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Jul 11, 2012
Are you healthy? It's impossible for me to know, but if you're depressed or paralyzed into inaction by some massive stress disorder or something, then you need to get yourself help. Walk into a hospital or your doctor's office and say, I need help. Just man up and do it, or tell someone you need help doing it.

There's no shame in it. I'm someone who pretty can't function hardly at all without my meds. Something in my mental wiring is just really screwed up, and has been as long as I can remember. It's cool. It's like any other health problem: get the help you need, get healthy, and move on!

I'm not saying that this -is- the case with you. I just know that the personality types drawn to this board--self-starters, entrepreneurs, generally people with tendencies toward full accountability and solving one's problems on one's own--will probably have a hard time admitting that something's wrong. Think of it this way: just talk to someone and work on getting better as soon as you can, and the time investment will more than pay for itself in higher productively, more sound decision-making, etc. You'll waste way less time.

But maybe you're fine, just confused or unsure as to what to do. If you're serious about "being your own boss" then maybe look into freelancing? I think the whole "be your own boss" thing is kind of ridiculous--I think it's more about whether your job somehow fits into a fastlane plan, or impedes it--but if it's that important to you then freelancing could work. Do you have some skill you could leverage? Are you a good copywriter, video editor, programmer--anything like that? You could just transcribe recordings if you really wanted, I guess . . . just know going in what your "edge" will be, what you'll use to keep clients coming back. Maybe that's turnaround time, or being really responsive and flexible in the revision process (if there is one), or maybe you're in a way different time zone and you can perform your service "while they sleep."

I've never gone full-bore with the freelance thing, but I understand the real "sweetspot" of it is gaining a few good clients for whom you become their go-to guy. Maybe they have a recurring need for ad copy and there's something about your service that makes them feel comfortable just keeping you on speed-dial for whenever that work pops up. The process of rooting around for new contractors is not a fun one for them, so you just have to give them a reason to skip that step and go straight back to you. I don't know if that's significantly different than having a boss, but, meh.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
you guys have to understand my situation. he can't hire me now. i dont want a low paying job. and i want my own business. and i could afford to sit around because i have money saved up. i want advice from people who have success

Owning your own business is the lowest paying job you can have. For at least 6 months, sometimes 6 years, you make way less than minimum wage, and you work longer hours than anyone you know. if you haven't got the fortitude for a low paying EASY job, you will not have it for the HARDEST thing you will ever do in your life!

JoeySpagz

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 30, 2012
Hey guys I just got an awesome idea for a website. How much would it cost to get it built.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Hey guys I just got an awesome idea for a website. How much would it cost to get it built.

Joey, you can't get a straight answer to such a broad question. There are all kinds of websites that perform all kinds of functions. I can get an URL and have it up and running with a free wordpress theme in about an hour. It will cost me about $15. I can pay for a more advanced template and my cost will be around $100. I can pay a professional to build me a website from scratch and pay thousands but get more function for my bucks.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
A website will cost you $500,000, but congratulations, your for sure going to be filthy rich by the end of next week now if you get it made, congrats! Boy, that was easy :bgh:

:icon_fU:

We have all put time into steering you in the right direction, and you sluff it off completely, no thanks, not even any acknowledgment!!, nobody else give this guy advice, it will just go in one ear and out the fcking other

JoeySpagz

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 30, 2012
We have all put time into steering you in the right direction, and you sluff it off completely, no thanks, not even any acknowledgment!!, nobody else give this guy advice, it will just go in one ear and out the fcking other
ok so asking about a website idea for the landscaping company is making me erase the advice from my mind.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Yes! We didn't say go make a website did we, Jack told you to work with your uncle, I told you to familiarize yourself with the business world before you jump into anything. You know absolutely nothing about websites or how to go about making one, your not ready to make a website then, how are you going to add content? What is your revenue stream? Is there even a need for this? Are there other landscaping websites? Are you willing to pay for someone to cross every t and dot every I on your website because you have no clue how to do it yourself? This isn't the 90's, there are billions of websites in the world. Read THE BOOK, familiarize yourself with your surroundings before you go throwing money at hopes and dreams because you are lazy and don't want to work. Your still lazy as shit, "how much will it cost to get a website made for me?" Should have been more like I how can I make a website for myself! Let alone, you get a website up, what next, do you even know what these terms are? PPC, CPM, SEO, SERPS, do you know what web hosting is, do you know what HTML is, Css? The list goes ON AND ON, you are trying to SKIP THE PROCESS! Your not ready to create your own business! you need to start with developing your skills and knowledge before you will ever be able to enter the confusing world of business, websites, marketing, anything business related really, do you understand that?

Your skipping step 1-9 and going straight to step 10, it's like trying to put together a desk before you even have the hammer and nails to build it with

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
ok so asking about a website idea for the landscaping company is making me erase the advice from my mind.

Website for a landscaping company? Hosting: $40. Domain: $15. Wordpress with some sort of green-colored theme: Free.

It'll take you maybe two hours.

Seriously, dude. If you're going to do anything, take the advice from the millionaire who drives a Ferrari. Talk to your uncle and work for free in the business side (door-to-door selling, business operations) until he needs you to work for cash in the labor side. If you do what your uncle tells you to do in the business side, he may pay you to sell his service to people and have you stop doing the labor.

Trouble is, he probably thinks you're just his lazy nephew who is only in it to get cash to buy his next motorcycle. Prove him wrong.

Mike's words are a bit harsh, but he's right. Entrepreneurship is a process and it all starts up in the mind. Change your attitude, change your mindset, one day at a time. I spent eight months transforming my mindset after picking up TMF .

Again, take Jack's advice. You have an opportunity thats a phone call away.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Well, it is hard to take this seriously. You are a 19 year old man and you decided to come to complete strangers to ask us what to do with your life. We're not sure whether to take you seriously or not.

Working a full 40 hours a week at a fast food joint AND going to college full time all paid for by myself..

He is lazy and his parents need to kick him out of the house.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
WTF does he need a website for?

I will tell him step by step how to start the business. I did it myself just like this. Then my friend did it exactly the same.

Business cards for $25.

Go door to door write the cost to mow the yard per month on the back of the card. Stick the card in the door.

When he gets a call and gets the first job go to Walmart and buy a push mower for $125. Put the mower in the trunk of your car, yes the lid will stay open so spend another $5 on a bungee cord to keep it from flying open.

There you go you have a business.

Whole Paradigm

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Nov 15, 2011
About 10 bucks a month. Host gator gives you the hosting, a website builder, a 1800 number, SSL Cert, Unlimited Bandwith, Unlimited Domains, and more for their $10 dollar monthly plan.

I'm still working on helping you out with an action plan from the PM you sent me. Just been busy. But you may not need help with that if you jump right into business.

HERE: http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
So, you talk to your uncle yet? If you haven't, pick up the F*ckin phone and do it now.

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
He's not a joke. He's a lazy kid in an extremely lucky position: he can afford to sit on his duff all day and play guitar or video games or whatever.

Key word: kid. I'm 19 too. We both have a lot to learn about life. Where were you at 19?

You choose what you are, kid or man. I'm not even 19. I'm 18 and support a full family of 5, 6 dogs, and several extended family. Labels are useless, you can be either your own man by working your a$$ off and giving no excuses or blame your age for ignorance and naivety.
This isn't directed towards you directly but towards mainly anyone that has a mindset of, " I can't do this or that because I'm just a kid/I'm too old to do this/I'm too inexperienced." Everything is done by action.

Btw advice to anyone new to the forum
Pay attention to JackEdwards, PatrickP, Biophase. There are a few others, but these 3 guys are always on point.

"Entrepreneurship is living a few years of your life like most people won’t, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can’t." - I love this

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
About 10 bucks a month. Host gator gives you the hosting, a website builder, a 1800 number, SSL Cert, Ubnlimited Bandwith, Unlimited Domains, and more for their $10 dollar monthly plan.

I'm still working on helping you out with an action plan from the PM you sent me. Just been busy. But you may not need help with that if you jump right into business.

HERE: http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml

Your assuming he knows how to make a website (even using WP) after he gets hosting...... which. he. doesn't.

Whole Paradigm

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Nov 15, 2011
Your assuming he knows how to make a website (even using WP) after he gets hosting...... which. he. doesn't.
I assume nothing. However it's a drag and drop program which is easy to use. Instead of shooting him down help him or move right along.

Here is some basic, recycled, rehashed and unoriginal info. It may need some updating but it's a start. It wouldn't let me type it all here so I made it a PDF for you and attached it to this post.

Attachments

• website.pdf
    84.6 KB · Views: 170

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I did talk to my uncle and he said were gonna do something around october.

Should have asked him "What can we do right now?"

He's a busy dude and that's fine. But I'm sure there's something he'd like to delegate to you if he didn't have to pay you.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I did talk to my uncle and he said were gonna do something around october.

Go out and bring him business NOW, if he isn't going to be working until October, start your own lawn company and do it yourself, or work under his businesses name if he will let you? Not tomorrow, not October, NOW! He's not going to be mad at you if you give him 10 more customers.

hqr

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Aug 1, 2012
TEXAS
I been doing nothing with my life. i sit on my couch and do nothing all day. i cant find a job. what do i do? please help:sigh:

Start your own business!
Here:

a) Go to the local store
b) Buy a set of yellow or orange colored paper & crayons
c) Go home and write: "I PROVIDE THE BEST CAR WASH IN TOWN... ANYTIME, AT YOUR LOCATION, WHILE YOU REST AT HOME OR FOCUS AT WORK " Call for appointment (PHONE!)
d) Take a walk several blocks around your house and drop your ads at every doorstep & car you can find.
e) The rest is up to you! (Do the best job possible and surprise your customer in every way you can).
f) If you do this and need advise of next steps let us know.

You can do it!
God bless.

JoeySpagz

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 30, 2012
start your own lawn company and do it yourself
I think I'm going to start my own company myself so i get some business skills on my own. He said if i had any interest in landscaping he might give me the company or sell it to me. He has 3 daughters and no one to leave the company to. He has over 100 houses. Then by time i get his company, ill have a lot of houses and split it into two teams. Sound like a good idea?

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I don't make those decisions for you, you can't ask random forum strangers what to do every time you have to make a decision :) I know it seems like I'm being a dick, but if I didn't want to help I wouldn't be posting

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Asking people what to do just makes it seem like you need your hand held. An awful lot like working for someone else IMO.

I think it is time for the ignore button...

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%