The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

what discipline really means?

Anything related to matters of the mind

prince1234

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Sep 8, 2021
I want to ask a question from you all? What discipline really means? from the childhood I was said in school that sitting silent and always listening to elder means discipline and nothing else. Is it really all about sitting silent in class. But I don't think all successful people really sit silent in class and always listen to elders. Is that mean that they are not discipline?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

bracknelson

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 28, 2020
I want to ask a question from you all? What discipline really means? from the childhood I was said in school that sitting silent and always listening to elder means discipline and nothing else. Is it really all about sitting silent in class. But I don't think all successful people really sit silent in class and always listen to elders. Is that mean that they are not discipline?
There are 3 types of Discipline are preventative, supportive, and corrective discipline. In upper you are talking about preventative discipline.

SilverGR

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 4, 2019
I like this simple definition from Kekich's credos:
Discipline usually means doing the opposite of what you feel like doing.

The full credo:
People will do almost anything to stay in their comfort zones. If you want to accomplish anything, get out of your comfort zone. Strive to increase order and discipline in your life. Discipline usually means doing the opposite of what you feel like doing. The easy roads to discipline are:

• Setting deadlines.
  • Discovering and doing what you do best and what’s important and enjoyable to you and…
  • Focusing on habits by replacing your bad habits and thought patterns, one-by-one, over time, with good habits and thought patterns.

Last edited:

metallon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Oct 13, 2020
Salem, India
I can connect with what you're saying. In India, Kids who does what the parents or teachers told them to do are called disciplined kids and Disciplined kids are good kids in their view.

However the word Discipline is used in various scenarios and I think the word Discipline is used mostly on the internet after David Goggins and Jocko Willink became popular. It essentially means that showing up yourself to work or to train consistently, even after the motivation wears out. There is more to it and you can understand it listening to their talks.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbQh1ZPG5pc

Ivan sntr

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Nov 27, 2017
Sydney
Don't confuse being obedient with being disciplined
Discipline is about following through on the things you know you need to do in order to achieve your goal.
It is not about being silent and not having an opinion.

Most people know the path, but they don't walk it

Just look at an overweight person.
They know that they are overweight, and they also know what they need to do to get in shape and to live a happier and better life. Who wouldn't want that?
They know the path, but still they choose not to change.
It's their lack of self discipline that keeps them where they are, not their lack of desire.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Discipline is a habit of daily execution on a given task or several tasks for a long time, regardless if you feel like doing it or not. In other words, it's the trait that separates the 1% of people who have everything in life versus the rest of the world.

In a classroom context, being obedient is not the same thing as being disciplined. Sure, there are some similarities but they're different.

On the other hand, you're being obedient when you're disciplined in a way, because you stay true to yourself by being accountable.

prince1234

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Sep 8, 2021
I can connect with what you're saying. In India, Kids who does what the parents or teachers told them to do are called disciplined kids and Disciplined kids are good kids in their view.

However the word Discipline is used in various scenarios and I think the word Discipline is used mostly on the internet after David Goggins and Jocko Willink became popular. It essentially means that showing up yourself to work or to train consistently, even after the motivation wears out. There is more to it and you can understand it listening to their talks.

Thanks ,now I have understand what discipline really means.
well, are you also from India.

Miketing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 7, 2014
"Discipline is the bridge between thought and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II_rv_BVTBA

In other words, do you stick to the plan and the rules?

When you're a kid, the plan is set by your parents and your teachers. There are also direct consequences for not sticking to the plan.

When you're a fully independent adult and have total freedom, you make your own plans and build discipline in order to stick to them.

Most adults aren't really independent. They just follow the plan set by their boss and society.

If you're on this forum though, I'm guessing you want to be an entrepreneur - "Unscripted". So you're gonna have to make your own plan and build the discipline to stick to it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsuOhNuCgjQ

Last edited:

prince1234

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Sep 8, 2021
"Discipline is the bridge between thought and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II_rv_BVTBA

In other words, do you stick to the plan and the rules?

When you're a kid, the plan is set by your parents and your teachers. There are also direct consequences for not sticking to the plan.

When you're a fully independent adult and have total freedom, you make your own plans and build discipline in order to stick to them.

Most adults aren't really independent. They just follow the plan set by their boss and society.

If you're on this forum though, I'm guessing you want to be an entrepreneur - "Unscripted". So you're gonna have to make your own plan and build the discipline to stick to it.

Yes you are right, I have to build my own plan and the discipline to stick with It.

psgroup

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jun 10, 2021
Kolkata, India
Discipline means you have to obey the rules that are defined to make things organized.
Even when you're at home have to ask you to live your life in a disciplined way like woke-up in the early morning, be at the dining table at a specific time etc.
Basically, these are the unwritten rules that impact not only yours but others too if you follow or not.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Discipline is this:

do what is best

It’s two parts

1: Doing something. Not procrastinating

2: What is best. Not doing things that are not the best. Like decisions based on short term temporary benefit like doing heroin. Or doing things half assed or skipping steps.

We know what is best most of the time and we don’t do it because of a lack of discipline. But even with discipline we don’t always know what it best…. But if you should pick between knowledge and discipline, be disciplined first and knowledge will come. A bucket without rain will find rain sometime. But a bucket with holes will never hold water.

Remember: do what is best.

Not what you feel like
Not what is easy
Not what people tell you

BEST

What is best can be what you feel like, what is easy, and what people tell you, but it usually isn’t.

prince1234

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Sep 8, 2021
Discipline is this:

do what is best

It’s two parts

1: Doing something. Not procrastinating

2: What is best. Not doing things that are not the best. Like decisions based on short term temporary benefit like doing heroin. Or doing things half assed or skipping steps.

We know what is best most of the time and we don’t do it because of a lack of discipline. But even with discipline we don’t always know what it best…. But if you should pick between knowledge and discipline, be disciplined first and knowledge will come. A bucket without rain will find rain sometime. But a bucket with holes will never hold water.

Remember: do what is best.

Not what you feel like
Not what is easy
Not what people tell you

BEST

What is best can be what you feel like, what is easy, and what people tell you, but it usually isn’t.
Amazing . this is one of the best lesson that i have been thought.Thanks
"Always choose best and be best no matter what"

mtn_baldy

The Charismatic
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
354%
Apr 20, 2015
Kalispell, Montana

Great video! I needed this today. Thank you

Raven S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 19, 2021
Norway
I started taking cold showers, as a practical way to focus on disipline. Doing something, not because you want to, but because you want to be able to do whats needed - not matter what.

Its my daily reminder of some simple truths in life.

It's not what happens but how we react to it, that matters. - This is very clear, since in the beginning, I was shivering, I was getting red, I often made audible sounds.
And while the water is the same, - cold as it can possibly be - I am not.

And I spend a moment in the shower every day, thinking of the truth in Nietzsche's Amor Fati. Not only, accepting the cold water, but to stop labeling it as "bad" or unwanted. To feel grateful for ice cold water. And mean it. To go beyond accepting- and veture into the other side, enjoying, and feeling happyness in the cold.

Its been.. something like 5-6 years since I last stepped into a hot shower. And I don't feel sorry for myself even for a moment. I don't need to, because I'm not forcing myself in any way - I just do what I decided to do, no regrets attached. And I think this was very important mental baggage to have when I decided to start eating according to dr Gundrys "the plant paradox". Because suddenly there is a whole lot of stuff you're used to eating, thats off limits. And to be able to do it, without hearing the old chatterbox going on and on about "why cant you eat that, everyone else is doing it!" - and just be content, and happy doing what you feel deep down, is the correct thing to do for your own health.

"Conquer self, or be conquered by self" - Napoleon Hill.

missinfinity98

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Oct 25, 2021
For me, it is being here and now, doing your simply best on every possible level. Staying grounded. Remembering which people to allow in my life, which not. Remembering what is important for me and my goals and not sabotaging myself with weaknesses like getting into argument with a toxic person. ;)

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
I like this simple definition from Kekich's credos:

The full credo:

Sadly David is no longer with us.

I was friends of him on FB (which doesn't mean much, I know) but he was a fantastic advocate for Longevity research. One of the very best in fact.

His full credo is here online: 100 Success Secrets from the Kekich Credo - Smart Online Success | Innovative Online Success Strategies

And there's a PDF you can download in that post too

I highly recommend reading it and trying to instill it, I'm trying to myself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.