The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Get more results with less discipline

Anything related to matters of the mind

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Here's my gym schedule from last year and then from recent months.

Embarrassing:

10c88569d8f242ad863d1dfa36b62a96

Better:

1e5631539ea34707ba4639e5a3a990b1

That's at 7:30am, every time. In addition to this, 2-3 days a week of MMA.

The only difference? My friend moved closer to me and we agreed on a lifting and training schedule.

I pick him up every morning.

If I'm late, I get a "where tf are you?" text. Doesn't matter if I'm hungover, if I'm tired, if I'm sore. It's the schedule.

Everything in life is like this.

There are some people that would do this without having any accountability partner, or system. They just wake up and stick to the gameplan every single day. Good for them, I have never been that consistent. Some days I will be fired up. Other days I am stuck to a computer working on my business and don't want to ruin the flow. Is that laziness? Maybe.

If I was perfectly disciplined, I wouldn't need any accountability or system. But I rarely rely on my own discipline. I use discipline to make difficult decisions that are impactful that allow me to do the hard stuff, but for small daily decisions I rely on something else.... setting up my environment.

In all areas, I focus on setting up my environment first before ever worrying about discipline. It is easier to make one smart decision that makes all of your other decisions easy.

Examples:

1. Diet: I don't rely on discipline to eat well. I have the bulk of my groceries delivered and they are things like lean meat, eggs, veggies, etc. If I mindlessly want to eat food, I can go eat a hard-boiled egg with some mustard, then back to work. There are no donuts in my house, no leftover pasta, no cereal, etc. If there was, I would absolutely eat it, but it's not even there.

2. Business: When I started my home services company, I knew that if I did projects, I would slack off and not always be motivated to hunt for more work. I knew that if instead I signed people up for recurring services, it would force me to get the work done. And I was right. We now have a shit ton of work to do that never stops. There is zero opportunity to not be productive. It would be insane to just not show up to scheduled work. But, if the only work you have scheduled is what you constantly go out and hunt for, it's easy to be lazy. Now, we have employees. They have a responsibility to show up and work. I have a responsibility to give them enough work to do.

3. Business investors/partners: If growing the company is up to me, it's easy to wait until next year for some things. There's no pressure. With partners, they send me texts that say "I hope you're ready for handling 4 more crews for my location this year, I'm going to spend a shit ton on ads, you better be able to handle it". It forced me to create a customer portal and app, It forced me to create an instant quoting system. It forced me to change our main office systems and hire more people.

I could go on and on.

But the end result is that I wake up and know exactly what NEEDS to be done. BUT, you should only setup pressure for things you WANT to do, but want to make easier to do. Don't create obligations for bullshit you don't want. Create accountability for things you DO want.

If you don't have systems, or an accountability partner, or a way to build habits, it's still your fault if something doesn't get done. Discipline is great, and it will get you far. I just know myself, and I know that if I don't have someone to meet at the gym on a regular schedule, I am much less likely to go on scheduled days. If there's pizza in my fridge, I am probably going to eat it. If I had no work already scheduled for tomorrow, there's a higher chance nothing will get done. It's about making decisions once up front, so that every subsequent decision is much easier. At the end of the day, your discipline will not create results, your actions will, whether it was an easy decision or a hard one.

Think about everything that you want to do, and think about people who are in environments that make it easy to get that stuff done. Try to replicate that in some way in your life. When I look around, I am usually not surprised where people end up in life. The guy who hangs out with navy seals is in great shape. The guy with a business owner friend group has his own business. etc. Think of ways to make it easy on yourself. That will probably be the thing that actually changes your life, not deciding in an emotional state "enough is enough, I'm going to be more disciplined!" Maybe it lasts, maybe it doesn't, but it will likely last a lot longer if you make it easier on yourself.

The more specific, the better. Joining a group with a similar interest will not do much by itself. If the group schedules regular meetings, the only thing you will do regularly is have meetings.

But if your friend is a business partner with you, and he puts pressure on you and sets revenue goals, you will hit them. If your friend rides with you to the gym 3 days a week, you will show up. Accountability partners that just have meetings will just have disappointing meetings. "Yeah, I forgot to go to the gym, sorry". That doesn't do much either. Now you just feel guilty. Fat and sad, great combo.

Better to create an actual obligation to do the literal thing you need to perform more consistently. Turn it into a job, or an appointment. Something you have to show up for.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Good thread. Social pressure is yuge and it will push you much farther than you'd normally push yourself, and it's why inertia is such a big part of business.

Conversely, you have to rid yourself of low effort people for the same reason. They'll gradually push their laziness onto you. I used to see this in kickboxing, when tempo of the whole class would essentially follow the weakest link because everyone else would just put in enough effort to not be last.

In MMA it's important to spar with people who will call you a pussy for low effort or hit you if you drop your guard.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Here's my gym schedule from last year and then from recent months.

Embarrassing:

10c88569d8f242ad863d1dfa36b62a96

Better:

1e5631539ea34707ba4639e5a3a990b1

That's at 7:30am, every time. In addition to this, 2-3 days a week of MMA.

The only difference? My friend moved closer to me and we agreed on a lifting and training schedule.

I pick him up every morning.

If I'm late, I get a "where tf are you?" text. Doesn't matter if I'm hungover, if I'm tired, if I'm sore. It's the schedule.

Everything in life is like this.

There are some people that would do this without having any accountability partner, or system. They just wake up and stick to the gameplan every single day. Good for them, I have never been that consistent. Some days I will be fired up. Other days I am stuck to a computer working on my business and don't want to ruin the flow. Is that laziness? Maybe.

If I was perfectly disciplined, I wouldn't need any accountability or system. But I rarely rely on my own discipline. I use discipline to make difficult decisions that are impactful that allow me to do the hard stuff, but for small daily decisions I rely on something else.... setting up my environment.

In all areas, I focus on setting up my environment first before ever worrying about discipline. It is easier to make one smart decision that makes all of your other decisions easy.

Examples:

1. Diet: I don't rely on discipline to eat well. I have the bulk of my groceries delivered and they are things like lean meat, eggs, veggies, etc. If I mindlessly want to eat food, I can go eat a hard-boiled egg with some mustard, then back to work. There are no donuts in my house, no leftover pasta, no cereal, etc. If there was, I would absolutely eat it, but it's not even there.

2. Business: When I started my home services company, I knew that if I did projects, I would slack off and not always be motivated to hunt for more work. I knew that if instead I signed people up for recurring services, it would force me to get the work done. And I was right. We now have a shit ton of work to do that never stops. There is zero opportunity to not be productive. It would be insane to just not show up to scheduled work. But, if the only work you have scheduled is what you constantly go out and hunt for, it's easy to be lazy. Now, we have employees. They have a responsibility to show up and work. I have a responsibility to give them enough work to do.

3. Business investors/partners: If growing the company is up to me, it's easy to wait until next year for some things. There's no pressure. With partners, they send me texts that say "I hope you're ready for handling 4 more crews for my location this year, I'm going to spend a shit ton on ads, you better be able to handle it". It forced me to create a customer portal and app, It forced me to create an instant quoting system. It forced me to change our main office systems and hire more people.

I could go on and on.

But the end result is that I wake up and know exactly what NEEDS to be done. BUT, you should only setup pressure for things you WANT to do, but want to make easier to do. Don't create obligations for bullshit you don't want. Create accountability for things you DO want.

If you don't have systems, or an accountability partner, or a way to build habits, it's still your fault if something doesn't get done. Discipline is great, and it will get you far. I just know myself, and I know that if I don't have someone to meet at the gym on a regular schedule, I am much less likely to go on scheduled days. If there's pizza in my fridge, I am probably going to eat it. If I had no work already scheduled for tomorrow, there's a higher chance nothing will get done. It's about making decisions once up front, so that every subsequent decision is much easier. At the end of the day, your discipline will not create results, your actions will, whether it was an easy decision or a hard one.

Think about everything that you want to do, and think about people who are in environments that make it easy to get that stuff done. Try to replicate that in some way in your life. When I look around, I am usually not surprised where people end up in life. The guy who hangs out with navy seals is in great shape. The guy with a business owner friend group has his own business. etc. Think of ways to make it easy on yourself. That will probably be the thing that actually changes your life, not deciding in an emotional state "enough is enough, I'm going to be more disciplined!" Maybe it lasts, maybe it doesn't, but it will likely last a lot longer if you make it easier on yourself.

The more specific, the better. Joining a group with a similar interest will not do much by itself. If the group schedules regular meetings, the only thing you will do regularly is have meetings.

But if your friend is a business partner with you, and he puts pressure on you and sets revenue goals, you will hit them. If your friend rides with you to the gym 3 days a week, you will show up. Accountability partners that just have meetings will just have disappointing meetings. "Yeah, I forgot to go to the gym, sorry". That doesn't do much either. Now you just feel guilty. Fat and sad, great combo.

Better to create an actual obligation to do the literal thing you need to perform more consistently. Turn it into a job, or an appointment. Something you have to show up for.
I agree. Setting up habits and routines is a lot more powerful than relying on self-discipline or willpower. It's a way to automate one's life without having to make moment-by-moment decisions.

I think that most procrastination is based on the necessity to make a series of decisions about how to proceed. Not making a decision is a decision within itself. You are allowing life to decide for you. Habits and routines are predecided actions and paths. There's no thinking required. You just do it.

Another system that really helps me is having an "if-then" plan. If A happens, I'm going to do B. I have created a lot of back doors in my life. They are preplanned "if-then" reactions to possible events.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE

DB1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Apr 6, 2022
Very true, I guess it boils down to aspects of human nature where social accountability trumps a reliance on individual volition.

How I see it is that we each have several lines of defence against laziness with accountability/systems/habits all being before grit and discipline which is that last (yet still important) line of defence.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Good thread @Johnny boy .

Personally I take quite a different approach to this. I think discipline is very valuable and it’s like a muscle. You need to learn to cultivate it.

If you always get your environment to make the decisions for you (this is what it essentially adds up to), then you never cultivate the discipline.

I work out because it’s hard and painful and I don’t like it. You should get used to doing things you hate. You need to change the way you perceive hard tasks — instead of instinctively avoiding them, you need to instinctively pursue them. Learn to enjoy the difficulty.

I find this to be a lot more rewarding + flexible since you don’t depend so much on your environment.

Felix Nachem

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 5, 2022
Switzerland
Thanks for sharing this thread!

And yes some people just need more social pressure than discipline. I'm also no David Goggins.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sanas915

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 13, 2022
yes the sociel pressure is very important specially if is competitive person!! for me , i am that kind of person, and i work lonly for my online business with some improductif day and now i looking for a partner ! thank you for the post!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.