The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

What business would you start with $50,000 to help save bees

OP
OP
biophase

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
You can buy this entire website and resell. They’re going out of business.

This is interesting, but if they are going out of business I'm going to assume that they aren't getting enough traffic or sales. I could purchase this and piggy back some sort of donation to the bee cause.

But the price points are so low I'd have to do alot of volume.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

OP
OP
biophase

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I'd build a business that had nothing to do with bees in a fast growth industry i.e technology like some type of web app.

And whatever profits that new business made would go towards helping beekeepers and the bees however I saw fit.
I don't have any interest in building another business just to make tons of money to help bees. The business itself should have some tie to bees because that's how you would get loyal employees and customers. For example, if I have an game app and the proceeds of the app get donated to whoever I want, it's not going to motivate employees and help with hiring.

But if I'm selling candles, and my company is called beecandles, and all profits go towards XXX, then it would be much easier to hire and market.

The XXX part is the part that I'm hoping this thread would uncover. I'm not interested in just donating money either. There needs to be active participation from the company.

OP
OP
biophase

biophase

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Thank you for all of your replies. I'll try to comment below all the posts.

1) I have no interest in selling honey or raising bees. I would rather help the people doing so.
2) I don't want to educate. It's not because I don't want to. But that is not my skill set and a business wouldn't be built around education. I think there are plenty out there who can do that better than me.
3) What I'm hearing in a couple replies is that bees have problems during the winter. So my natural reaction is, do they make heated bee hives?
4) Pesticides is another main issue. But at this point, I'm not sure what I would do to combat that, other than education, which is not my forte.
5) Planting more flowers and getting more people into beekeeping is an idea that I can pursue. Maybe doing so with cheaper hives, subsidizing hives, and also flower seeds.

Gold Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Oct 20, 2012
I don't have any interest in building another business just to make tons of money to help bees. The business itself should have some tie to bees because that's how you would get loyal employees and customers. For example, if I have an game app and the proceeds of the app get donated to whoever I want, it's not going to motivate employees and help with hiring.

But if I'm selling candles, and my company is called beecandles, and all profits go towards XXX, then it would be much easier to hire and market.

The XXX part is the part that I'm hoping this thread would uncover. I'm not interested in just donating money either. There needs to be active participation from the company.
In that case the best thing to do would be to engage / "immerse" into that whole culture and find out from them what problems they face, only then would you truly build something useful and meaningful for your target market.

All the best.

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey
Thank you for all of your replies. I'll try to comment below all the posts.

1) I have no interest in selling honey or raising bees. I would rather help the people doing so.
2) I don't want to educate. It's not because I don't want to. But that is not my skill set and a business wouldn't be built around education. I think there are plenty out there who can do that better than me.
3) What I'm hearing in a couple replies is that bees have problems during the winter. So my natural reaction is, do they make heated bee hives?
4) Pesticides is another main issue. But at this point, I'm not sure what I would do to combat that, other than education, which is not my forte.
5) Planting more flowers and getting more people into beekeeping is an idea that I can pursue. Maybe doing so with cheaper hives, subsidizing hives, and also flower seeds.
Sell green rooms - temperature controlled, weather controlled rooms for be harvesting. Repurpose those same rooms used to grow but sell them for bees. I bet local governments would gobble this up IF you push the storyline- the driving factor behind WHY you’re building the business...to save mankind, duhh! Lol

Colibri

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Feb 24, 2018
French Riviera
There is a German company selling bee houses: Die faszinierende Welt der Wildbienen erleben | BeeHome by Pollinature

This is not directly related to beekeeping, but it helps the ecosystem as a whole. You buy the house and then when springtime approaches they send you a tube containing Mason bee cocoons that you insert into the bee house. You get to see on the inside of one level of the house and observe how the bees evolve and work. I really like this concept and bought two houses for family and friends.

Here's why I think it is a great product:
- It is small and made out of good material.
- It is affordable.
- Even people living in apartments can get one, as long as they have a balcony with flowers and trees not too far.
- It gives incentives to take a closer at all the insects in your surroundings, which 99% of people don't do.
- You get regular newsletter explaining how bees work, their ecosystem, the plants and flowers to have around, etc.
- Overall, it is a great educational tool, the customers put into practice themselves and pay more attention to how this small world is doing.

Again, this is not beekeeping, but I think they found a good compromise right in-between 'active beekeeping' and 'buy a bugs house and put it somewhere in your garden'.

404profound

Platinum Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Aug 27, 2017
Desert of Desertion
My five-minute google research tells me pesticides and climate change are the two biggest drivers of bee decline. With 50k, I can only meaningfully influence one of those; pesticides.

Given that the function pesticides provide is crucial in agriculture, the question becomes; what non-pesticide solution can provide the same function in a scalable manner?

This is not even remotely my area of expertise, but I think artificial intelligence is a possible component of a viable alternative. Say you have a 50-foot wide solar panel with wheels at each end and a long row of robotic scalpels, making it's way across a plot of crops. The panel's engine would be "trained" from an AI model that is capable of distinguishing weeds from everything else (probably a team of researchers bucketing images or outlines of various plants into weed / not-weed categories). When the model is reliable enough, the panel could roll over the crops and surgically uproot anything it categorizes as a weed based on shape detection. This would avoid spraying anything at all.

I have no idea what problems this solution entails, but I can theorize a few. One would obviously be false-positives; instances where the machine uproots a crop instead of a weed. No AI model could be 100% reliable in that setting, so that is a factor. Another is the extent to which the soil would be loosened and subject to erosion as a result of the weed removal. Then there's the power consumption and maintenance of the machine.

So yea, there's my half-baked, pre-second-coffee idea lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom