The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What business would you start if you had a ranch?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I've been in crypto since 2010. Yes I know your pain but I'm about to get into the wallet side of crypto.

Do to circumstances I will be moving back to living at home with my parents. I moved out from my parents because I got tired of living in the middle of nowhere.

I'm guessing that crypto hasn't been good to you, since you have to move back in with your parents (unless it's a parent's health issue, then I apologize).

If anyone has any experience on the most profitable way to monetize farmland your input will be appreciated. Thank you.

Probably not the right question to ask. Most profitable is often correlated to the amount of work, experience and funds.

You didn't mention what capital you have to start with.

My parents have a small 7 acre farm next to a small lake. That means I have access to land and water.

How big is the lake? What are zoning requirements.

If this were me and I HAD to live at this farm, this is what I would 100% do.

1) I would build a few cabins and rent them out Airbnb. Is there good fishing and lake access? Since you are living there, you can manage the units and handle the cleaning and hosting.

2) I would use that land to build more lakes, streams and create a wildlife refuge for animals. I would document all of this on a Youtube channel and earn money through it.

I watched a youtube video today of a 16yo kid that went around saving goldfish from abandoned ponds and water features. The video had 1.6M views. So many ways to make money right now. If I was given 7 acres of land with water flowing through it, I would turn it into wildlife mecca for all animals.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
My moms dream is to run a tourist ranch because she originally grew up on a large dairy farm owned by my grandparents and wants to share the experience of a farm/ranch with others in a fun way. My goal is to become successful enough to put enough money into her idea for it to become a reality.

I think now more than ever, experiences have a much higher value in the marketplace compared to the profit from selling a commodity or anything else. The example would be the giant dairy farm my grandparents own that isn’t very profitable despite having 500 acres of Washington state farmland and woods. (My grandparents are stubborn and don’t want to change. So it will have to wait until the farm is no longer theirs for something to change)

If you could turn the ranch into an experience other people can come enjoy, and you utilize some good marketing strategies for spreading awareness of your ranch to the world, you’ll do fine. The cooler you make it the more success you’ll have. Make it something people would want to brag about doing on social media. Pretty views, fun activities, etc. Your best customers would likely be families or married couples.

You could also use the ranch for a regular commercial purpose and use the “experience” aspect as a way to 1. Make money and 2. Get labor for the work. So now your “employees” working on the ranch are paying you for the experience of working. It’s better than child labor. lol

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Do to circumstances I will be moving back to living at home with my parents. I moved out from my parents because I got tired of living in the middle of nowhere. Also because I needed the internet to learn about web design, freelancing, SEO etc. This past years that I have lived in the city have taught me so much. I have a better idea on what to focus on and finally take action. Also internet services have greatly improved with the introduction of 5G. There's now unlimited internet available where I live.

My parents have a small 7 acre farm next to a small lake. That means I have access to land and water. Two of the most important things needed to survive.

With water and land I can either:

Raise Cattle, horses, pigs, goats, chickens, dogs, bees, mushrooms etc. Basically any animal. What animal is the most profitable?

I can also grow any crop but the weather in North Texas is very extreme. During winter one moment you're freezing and next thing you know you're sweating. So crops are out of the question. Also me and my family tried growing herbs before and that didn't work out.

I'm also trying to think outside of the box. When people think of a ranch they think about agriculture. But what if I turn it into a camping area, retreat, or special events center?

If anyone has any experience on the most profitable way to monetize farmland your input will be appreciated. Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mike S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jun 25, 2019
Crestview Hills KY
My brother owns a ranch (we call 'em farms here in Kentucky) and he's married to that piece of dirt. No friggin way would I even consider anything like that. You're not only trading your time for money but you are literally chained to the ground due to the amount of work it takes to maintain it. In no way is this a fastlane pursuit.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I would just enjoy the view and do information marketing or software. What kind of business do you want to do regardless of the ranch?

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
I would just enjoy the view and do information marketing or software. What kind of business do you want to do regardless of the ranch?
I'll take Rabby's post another step. While you're enjoying the view and making millions via the web, create a shared, live in, work place where other entrepreneurs can "get away from the noise" and concentrate on new projects BUT still have the bandwidth they want. Might require some investment in access points and cottages, but you can do that slowly over time.

flower_girl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 9, 2019
We have a small farm and I'm from generations of farmers so this is something which really interests me.

Is your aim to make as much money as possible or are you prepared to have a more enjoyable lifestyle and less money?

What expertise and experience do you have?

What do you enjoy doing?

Is the land irrigated?

A lot of activities would cost quite a bit of money to set up so that's also a consideration.

How close would you be to any markets or how would you sell what you produce?

It can be really hard to make money farming, especially on smaller acreages, so I'd really recommend you consider some plans and especially crunch numbers.

A few ideas which I know can be good earners for some people in some areas:

Flower & bulb farm.
Seeds.
Dog boarding.
Fruit and/or nuts.
Plant/ tree nursery.
Christmas trees.
Dairy goats and products from them - cheese, milk etc.
Plant oils e.g. lavender.

Course it doesn't have to be one thing, you could have more than one e.g. bees with an orchard.

As suggested above another possibility is some kind of hosting or entertainment.

I know a few people who had very popular sunflower mazes and one had a corn maze.

Retreat or conference centre? Wedding venue if you have nice gardens?

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Depends on how close you are to the city... but these "you pick" places in the area take in money hand over fist during season.

1) People pay to enter
2) They pay for the things they pick

We've got a berry place nearby, there's a new tulip place run by a Dutch family. Typically long lines to get in and lots of families/kids.

Lots of opportunities for upsells while people on the property. Food, drinks, memorabilia.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
What about a wedding venue? Sounds like the type of place people like to get married (at least here) maybe it’s the same there?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I get it but to breed horses you need a large upfront investment. You're talking about $50k plus for one horse.

I was looking for something

No worries. You clearly want something that will take no work, no capital and no thought, yet is highly profitable and has something to do with, but not really, 7 acres of land belonging to your parents.

What else would you have us do for you?

Let's be honest. You aren't going to do any of this. Or marketing. :rofl:

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Don't they grow sorghum in Texas? You could build a grain bin and export sorghum to China as it is one of the main ingredients for the #1 most popular alcoholic beverages that they make.

Don't know if you have any lakes around you, but you could raise nightcrawlers, leeches and minnows and achieve economies of scale and become a supplier to bait shops.

You could raise mushrooms and sell to restaurants in a nearby city. You could grow microgreens and sell to chefs.

You could set aside an acre or two for 3 years until it is certified organic, raise organic crops and market to yuppies.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
Do to circumstances I will be moving back to living at home with my parents. I moved out from my parents because I got tired of living in the middle of nowhere. Also because I needed the internet to learn about web design, freelancing, SEO etc. This past years that I have lived in the city have taught me so much. I have a better idea on what to focus on and finally take action. Also internet services have greatly improved with the introduction of 5G. There's now unlimited internet available where I live.

My parents have a small 7 acre farm next to a small lake. That means I have access to land and water. Two of the most important things needed to survive.

With water and land I can either:

Raise Cattle, horses, pigs, goats, chickens, dogs, bees, mushrooms etc. Basically any animal. What animal is the most profitable?

I can also grow any crop but the weather in North Texas is very extreme. During winter one moment you're freezing and next thing you know you're sweating. So crops are out of the question. Also me and my family tried growing herbs before and that didn't work out.

I'm also trying to think outside of the box. When people think of a ranch they think about agriculture. But what if I turn it into a camping area, retreat, or special events center?

Look at the funeral alternatives business. Some customers like pyres, some wish their bodies to become a nursebed for trees, some wish for their bodies to be consumed by predatory birds. It'a becoming a big business.
Summer camp is easy and very lucrative too.

Last edited:

spreng

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 1, 2019
owning a ranch sounds like a dream. There are tons of ways you could monetize this.

Think of what you are close to:
-Colleges: event space for date parties, mixers, formals
-City: tourist retreat, company retreat

Growing:
-Also, is growing weed legal in Texas for distribution in California/Colorado? I know you can get a license to grow here in North Carolina which is also a conservative state--there would be huge money in that.
-Bamboo? Don't believe that needs fresh land or any one climate to grow, although it takes a long a$$ time
-Timber?

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
owning a ranch sounds like a dream. There are tons of ways you could monetize this.

Think of what you are close to:
-Colleges: event space for date parties, mixers, formals
-City: tourist retreat, company retreat

Growing:
-Also, is growing weed legal in Texas for distribution in California/Colorado? I know you can get a license to grow here in North Carolina which is also a conservative state--there would be huge money in that.
-Bamboo? Don't believe that needs fresh land or any one climate to grow, although it takes a long a$$ time
-Timber?
Weed is definitely 100% illegal still in Texas.

Bamboo actually grows very very fast but is invasive and probably illegal to plant and farm without strict controls.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
  • Animals and Crops
    • Free range animals: alpacas, sheep, chickens, cows
    • Produce: Blueberries, hemp, hell Vanilla and Cacao if you can grow it at that climate?
    • I imagine it would be good to rotate certain crops too?
  • Have you considered taking an organic farming class?
    • I know a guy that retired and started a blueberry farm
    • Now he sells his organic crops wholesale to restaurants in Brooklyn and Queens
    • After you learn you can also teach organic farming techniques
  • Humane dog breeding
    • People are fanatical about their dogs
    • Almost no one wants a dog from an inhumane breeder
    • I personally want to mush with Huskies one day...at a ranch or mountain retreat
  • Entrepreneurial Retreat Ranch - the Entrepreneur's AirBNB
    • Build a bunch of small 4 person cabins
    • Take a class and learn how to facilitate brainstorming sessions
    • Host leadership and team building sessions
This post caught my eye after having my afternoon coffee :happy:

"If you build it they will come" - Field of Dreams

AFMKelvin

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
I was thinking along the same lines as @MetalGear.

Except, I was thinking a retreat ranch for people who want to see what it's like to be a farmer or a cowboy/girl/person.

You could build a bunch of cabins like @MetalGear suggested.

Or you could use pre-built tiny homes.

Or you could refurbish some shipping containers.

So like cowboy/cowgirl roleplay. Get a mix of animals and let them live the cowboy on a ranch fantasy? That sounds plausible. Like a petting zoo but for grown ups.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Yeh throwing events immediately came to mind even before I learned it wasn't great for farming (and if memory serves northern texas is the ogallala aquifer thats drying up anyway)

But that seems like it depends on what major cities you're near , so...amarillo? Lubbock? Forth worth? Dallas?

Any retreats go on nearby? Hows the club scene? , Does the ranch have any amenities or guest houses?

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Drive through Christmas light ranch when it’s too cold for @amp0193 ’s “You Pick It” idea.

$10 a car. Average 100 cars a night easily for 25 days in December. Volume depends on how big of cities you live around.

Offer free hot cocoa and WiFi.

$25,000 ain’t too bad for one months work though.

The one closest to me has cars lined up and down the street with cops directing traffic.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Too much work for little profits. I'll stick to marketing thank you for your input.

Get that out of your head.

That is the thing about leadership. You can dabble in race horses and not feed them or clean up after than one single time.

I happen to know a retired oilman that breeds racehorses with triple crown blood line. It is a very lucurative and exciting business for him.

It is as much work you plan it to be.

Now... How many millionaires that call themselves "marketers" have you met?

Last edited:

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Entrepreneurial Retreat Ranch - the Entrepreneur's AirBNB
  • Build a bunch of small 4 person cabins
  • Take a class and learn how to facilitate brainstorming sessions
  • Host leadership and team building sessions

I was thinking along the same lines as @MetalGear.

Except, I was thinking a retreat ranch for people who want to see what it's like to be a farmer or a cowboy/girl/person.

You could build a bunch of cabins like @MetalGear suggested.

Or you could use pre-built tiny homes.

Or you could refurbish some shipping containers.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
So like cowboy/cowgirl roleplay. Get a mix of animals and let them live the cowboy on a ranch fantasy? That sounds plausible. Like a petting zoo but for grown ups.

What resources do you have to work with and which ideas do you like best?

You don't need to answer me...just a question for yourself.

Paul Burrows

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 12, 2019
Alpaca! Alpaca fleece is worth a lot of money. Alpaca trekking is a growing pursuit with a large number of farms offering trekking in UK, France and Spain. Alpaca are tough surviving well in extreme heat and extreme cold. Get the right colour (Light colour) Alpaca to breed and they can be worth £1200. The light fleece is highly sought after as well as being the rarest it can be dyed virtually any colour.

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
Is anyone else just very interested about the whole "my neighbors like to blow things up" angle here? What are they running a real life Fortnite experiences camp for kids?

Honestly if I went outside and saw my neighbors wheeling a cannon along the road or something I'd actually be impressed.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Another thought is to give Small tech outfits a place to test systems "off-grid" this includes everything from drones, farm equipment, vehicle testing, and anything else you can imagine. I personally have a hard time finding areas to test equipment.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I have always wanted to get into thoroughbred racehorses.

AFMKelvin

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
My brother owns a ranch (we call 'em farms here in Kentucky) and he's married to that piece of dirt. No friggin way would I even consider anything like that. You're not only trading your time for money but you are literally chained to the ground due to the amount of work it takes to maintain it. In no way is this a fastlane pursuit.

After reading the responses from actual farmers I'm rethinking it. You're right.

AFMKelvin

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
What about a wedding venue? Sounds like the type of place people like to get married (at least here) maybe it’s the same there?

Weddings wouldn't work where I live. Our neighbors from across the like lake have an obsession with blowing things up. I wouldn't want grenades and explosive targets going off while someone is getting married.

AFMKelvin

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Look at the funeral alternatives business. Some customers like pyres, some wish their bodies to become a nursebed for trees, some wish for their bodies to be consumed by predatory birds. It'a becoming a big business.
Summer camp is easy and very lucrative too.

There's no way I'm dealing with dead bodies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.