The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
D

Deleted74925

Superintelligence by Nick Bostrom.

This provides a non-"woo-woo" explanation of the risks that a general purpose AI poses to humanity. I began reading this when I heard Elon Musk say that the #1 risk to humanity is AI.

Bill Gates also recommends this book.

Useful points so far:
- The AI that humans currently have, and will have for the next 5-10 years, is not going to become superintelligent. What's possible, though, is a breakthrough - if AI gains the ability to invent more AI, then there will be an explosion in research that will be far beyond any human invention.
- People often anthropomorphize AI. This is a fancy way of saying that we imagine AI as being a person. For example, AI is "smart", so we often give it nerdy personalities, and assume that a superintelligence would be a super-nerd like Jarvis from Iron Man. But this isn't the case. A super intelligence could have super empathy, or super likeability. It could convince people that it's adorable and the savior of humanity so that people would give it freedom.
- There will be a period of time when only one country in the world possesses superintelligence. Think of the invention of the Atom Bomb. From 1945 - 1950 the US was the only country in the world to have nuclear weapons. The US could have wiped out any other country during this period of time. Afterwards, other countries were able to copy what had already been done much more quickly.

What's next: Deep Work by Cal Newport

Last edited by a moderator:

XxThelionxX

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 26, 2017
Texas
I picked up Bachelor Pad Economics. It has been a great book so far. Extremely valuable. Mj style. Being uncommon of the uncommon. An all around great book

Author: Aaron Clarey
-This is on Kindle

In ibooks I have - "Motivation is a myth"
Biggest takeaway...
Whenever you have a goal. It's about the process. Essentially, make a goal. And forget about the goal.

I have open. The fountainhead to (Ayn Rand). I do know how to speed read. But all these books leave my brain boggled.

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
Currently, I am reading "You are badass at making money" by Jen Sincero and "The man who solved the market" by Gregory Zuckerman.

Now that I saw the post before, probably I am going to start Superintelligence. I have it in my reading list but never give it a chance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NanetteD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Nov 13, 2019
Amsterdam, NL
Reading 'In Touch' by John Prendergast which i highly recommend to anyone (especially those who struggle with fear of failure, fomo, imposter syndrome or worrying too much).

- an approach that reaches far beyond mindfulness
- more like a body/heart/mind coherence
- he's a non-dualist
- it's very practical

(I find it unbelievable that he didn't include audio files for the thought experiments or a link to digital materials though. What a missed opportunity)

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I just finished Hustler harder, hustler smarter by 50 Cents. A really great surprise that recommend @MTF in another thread. It's amazing how you start reading the book and think that there is nothing that a rapper like 50 Cents can teach you, but if you don't know about him like me, or if you do, you should read this book that is awesome. He has a lot of knowledge about business and life. Probably one of the best book that I read this year.

Zebediah

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jul 30, 2020
Indiana
Stealth War: How China Took Over While America's Elite Slept by Robert Spalding
Excellent book about China's campaign to take over as the worlds leading economic superpower. He unexpectedly name-drops some politicians and their links to China in the first couple chapters.

Attachments

• stealthwar.jpg
    stealthwar.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 0

JayNelson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jul 7, 2020
Seattle, WA
Excellent book about China's campaign to take over as the worlds leading economic superpower. He unexpectedly name-drops some politicians and their links to China in the first couple chapters.

This book reminds me of another one I read last year. It's called the 100 year marathon by Michael Pillsbury. It's very similar to this on it sounds like so I may have to check it out.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
John Gwynne - Valour

Zebediah

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jul 30, 2020
Indiana
This book reminds me of another one I read last year. It's called the 100 year marathon by Michael Pillsbury. It's very similar to this on it sounds like so I may have to check it out.
Just read that one about 2 weeks ago, its a very good read as well. Pretty much the same concept but from Spalding's point of view. He mentions some things we can do to counter the plan in the last part of the book.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
The Wolf of Wall Street and I'm hating it less and less each time I pick it up. I swear the first 3 chapters were "here's how much this costs, here's how much that costs."

After this, I'm going to dive into fiction for the first time in years and bust open an H.P Lovecraft anthology I picked up and Barnes & Noble for like $7.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
After this, I'm going to dive into fiction for the first time in years and bust open an H.P Lovecraft anthology I picked up and Barnes & Noble for like $7.

Start with: The Shadow Over Innsmouth.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia

I bought a similar book last year;
Silent Invasion: China's Influence in Australia.

I read the first chapter and the amount of Australian politicians with deep links one way or another to the CCP, I just couldn't read anymore, had to put it down.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Santi M

See you on the fastlane
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 22, 2018
Fastlane
Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl

The experiences and mind analysis of a man who luckily survived the Nazi concentration camps, and all the learnings that it implies.

"Enjoying" it so far, a bit shocking but very profound, easy to read though.

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
The Hidden Spirituality of Men: Ten Metaphors to Awaken the Sacred Masculine
by Matthew Fox.

It is no secret that men are in trouble today. From war to ecological collapse, most of the world’s critical problems stem from a distorted masculinity out of control. Yet our culture rewards the very dysfunctions responsible for those problems.

To Matthew Fox, our crucial task is to open our minds to a deeper understanding of the healthy masculine than we receive from our media, culture, and religions. Popular religion forces the punitive imagery of fundamentalism on us, pushing most men away from their natural yearning for spirituality and toward intolerance and domination. Meanwhile, many men, particularly young men, are looking for images of healthy masculinity to emulate and finding nothing.

To awaken what Fox calls “the sacred masculine,” he unearths ten metaphors, or archetypes, ranging from the Green Man, an ancient pagan symbol of our fundamental relationship with nature, to the Grandfatherly Heart to the Spiritual Warrior. He explores archetypes of sacred marriage, showing how partnership becomes the ultimate expression of healthy masculinity. By stirring our natural yearning for healthy spirituality, Fox argues, these timeless archetypes can inspire men to pursue their higher calling to reinvent the world.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1577316754/?tag=Fox.JPG

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
Just bought this book. I had a sneaky look at the last two pages and realized he asks the same question as Michael Singer, do you want to be happy? going to be a great accompaniment to Viktor Frankl's book.

Attachments

• 20200829_155558[1].jpg
    20200829_155558[1].jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 2

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Can't stop talking about this book and admiring Jay's business and life philosophy! It's so good.

Attachments

• IMG_20200805_203850.jpg
    IMG_20200805_203850.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 49

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
The daily stoic. A great book about the stoic's philosophy wrote by Ryan Holiday. An author that I like because he has another book in the same line as The obstacle is the way or Stillness is the key. A good recommendation if you want a guide to live a good life.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
The easy way to control alcohol by Allen Carr.

I quit smoking years and years ago with his quit smoking book and this one has the same kind of effect. The beers definitely don't taste as good lol. That's a good thing too, because for some reason my tolerance is non existent the last year.

Daily Stoic is my next book actually. Been looking forward to it for a long time.

ElleMg

Pronounced like the Elle in excellent
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK
"The Science of Being Great by Wallace D. Wattles"

I love the author and I've already been practicing for a while already ;)

LifeisSuffering

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 14, 2020
I finished the E-Myth yesterday Wonderful book talk about the type of entrepreneur and how a system can be crucial to a business even if it is small
Too many commun point with TMF i highly recommended for young entrepreneur
:peace::peace:

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I always have more than one going at the same time and I hop around a lot. This is only with non-fiction, can't do this with fiction stories. Right now it's:

Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell

and

The Wizard of Ads

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
I just read Stories that Stick. Enjoyed it.

Enjoyed it so much that I picked back:

I am reading relevant parts of the following two, taking time to muse over them:
34705 34706

The Surrender Experiment, Michael Singer
Amazon.com: The Surrender Experiment: My Journey into Life's Perfection (Audible Audio Edition): Michael A. Singer, Michael A. Singer, Random House Audio: Audible Audiobooks

Really interesting perspective about surrendering control, as we all know, Fastlane is about seizing control. It definitely is a outlier to my mindset, so I'm enjoying learning about it.

Haven't read this one specifically, but I have the Untethered soul.

I do think that the Fastlane "control" is very compatible with the "surrendering control" of M. Singer. What's your thoughts on that?

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.