The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Just finished yesterday "10 pillars of wealth", actually they are 11, by Alex Becker

Waiting for my amazon order of 10 books (my bday present!!!) :)
I really enjoyed that book. A nice little book with some great tips and life advice from Becker. Hes also very honest and doesn't hold back on things

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
FYI: Fooled by Randomness by Taleb is on sale via Kindle.

412MBJ9ojxL._SY346_.jpg

Will be my next non-fiction read.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FA0W5W/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia

412MBJ9ojxL._SY346_.jpg

Maybe follow that one up with Black Swan,AntiFragile and Skin in the Game. Hard work and sometime hard to understand but worthwhile imo.There is one in between but seems like a bunch of random stories.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Listening to on Audible:

Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins.

It's all about the mind.
If you don't know about him, read his wikipedia cover. He shares most of us are only using 40% of our mind. Incredible story.
I was thinking about reading/ listening to this one. Which are your major takeaways so far?

FinTech

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Nov 14, 2018

412MBJ9ojxL._SY346_.jpg

Reading AntiFragile now, but honestly probably boring to most people. MJ you would probably love how he crushes academics as "fragilistas" and clueless compared to practitioners. Makes the historical case that doing is greater than theorizing. Taleb can also do that because he has credentials to run in the super intellectual circles. Dynamic Hedging is one of the best books I've ever read. Not like guy in who is always like "well I'm street smart you are just book smart", but is actually just dumb. Taleb is both street smart and book smart and rails on academics the entire book. Haha I love it.

I wouldn't ever recommend Antifragile even though I really like it.

Fooled by randomness should be read by every human.

DakonSG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 17, 2018
Woodbury, Minnesota
I'm currently reading several books at once.

I think books can be a lot like music: sometimes I'm in the mood for one genre, and sometimes I'm in the mood for another.

My List
The Unfair Advantage by Duane Lakin
Book Yourself Solid by Michael Port
The Outward Mindset by The Arbinger Institute
The Laws of Human Nature by Robert Greene
Get the Truth by Philip Houston, Michael Floyd, Susan Carnicero
Manifesting Change by Mike Dooley
Go Put Your Strengths to Work by Marcus Buckingham
The Creative Curve by Allen Gannett
Sell Anything To Anybody by George Hutton
The Science of Interpersonal Relations by Ian Tuhovsky
Infectious: How to Connect Deeply and Unleash the Energetic Leader Within by Achim Nowak
Pre-Framing by George Hutton

DakonSG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 17, 2018
Woodbury, Minnesota
Also, if someone has any recommendations that aren't too "main-streamy" about human psychology, interpersonal communication, metaphysics and the human side of business, would you please post your list and tag me in your reply?

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
I was thinking about reading/ listening to this one. Which are your major takeaways so far?

First, of all he doesn't sugar coat what it takes to succeed in any endeavor. He explains it in a raw, unscripted way. If you want to be uncommon, you have to step out of being common.
And it isn't about competing with others or keeping up with the status quo. It is only about competing with YOURSELF. Blowing through your own self doubts, personal limitations and self beliefs. It isn't about overcoming self doubt-it is about destroying it by destroying what you think your capable of.

Recommend the audio version as he basically does a question & answer after each chapter that is unfound in the hard copy version. Highly recommended.

maikooo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 7, 2018
Profit First by Mike Michalowicz

Quick notes
  • "smaller plates" theory
  • sales - profit = expenses instead of sales - expenses = profit
  • Target Allocation Percentages
  • 10/25 day rule
  • You, the business owner, are the most valuable employee
  • Quarterly profit distribution
TBC

Kristie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Dec 8, 2018
Alabama
How this thread works... when you start reading a new book, you update it here. It’s nice to have a log of what everyone on the forum is reading and i’m sure it will spark discussions and recommendations.

I’m also creating the Fastlane Bookclub on Goodreads where you can share what you’re reading, add your favorites, and talk about books. I haven’t explored all the features, but I’m sure there’s a bunch of stuff we’ll benefit from. Join the group!

So, Currently I’m reading

View attachment 21438

Persuasive Advertising: Evidence-based Principles by J. Scott Armstrong

This book translates knowledge about persuasion into evidence-based principles. Useful knowledge about persuasion has been obtained over the last 100 years from the experience of advertising experts and from empirical studies in advertising and other fields including psychology, consumer behavior, law, mass communication, politics, and propaganda.

The principles in Persuasive Advertising provide understandable and easy-to-access guidance for all types of advertising. Including still media such as print and Internet, and motion media such as TV, streaming video, Internet, and radio. They also apply to other types of persuasive communications such as management reports, speeches, and press releases.

Wharton School Professor J. Scott Armstrong spent over 16 years on this book. In recent years, he was assisted by Gerry Lukeman, Chairman Emeritus of Ipsos-ASI and Sandeep Patnaik, Research Director at Gallup and Robinson. Altogether, more than 80 people contributed to Persuasive Advertising by obtaining relevant studies, analyzing data, editing and reviewing, and surveying researchers to ensure that the book correctly summarizes their findings.

Persuasive Advertising summarizes findings from about 3,000 empirical studies and 50 books. It also presents new findings from previously unpublished studies. .

Along with the AdPrin Audit software on AdPrin.com, Persuasive Advertising enables advertisers as well as agencies to quickly and inexpensively identify ways to improve ads – or to determine which of a set of ads will be most effective. For example, it typically requires about an hour for an experienced user to obtain a persuasiveness index for a print ad along with a list of ways to improve the ad.,

By using these principles, advertisers can improve their creativity and effectiveness.​

And

View attachment 21439

Hack Your Motivation: Over 50 Science-Based Strategies to Improve Performance by Bobby Hoffman

Finally!!!! Evidence-based research on motivation that's written in an engaging, humorous, easy-to-read style!"--Karen, Performance & Leadership Consultant

Bobby masterfully bridges the gap between research and practice by applying high quality motivational research to everyday life."--David, Master Educator **"This book is not easy to put down. You will find yourself often referring back to its pages. The a-ha moments will cascade in."--Glenn, Team Leader & Operations Manager

Hack Your Motivation gives you the latest and most reliable performance tools and tips to help you reach your personal or profession goals. Written by motivational scientist and leadership consultant Dr. Bobby Hoffman, this book converts hard-core research from psychology, business, athletics, neuroscience, and education into easy-to-read and simple-to-master strategies. Hoffman includes unorthodox examples from his own life and the lives of others to enlighten, inspire, and amuse ---so anyone can learn to maximize their untapped potential. If achieving glory, feeling good about your accomplishments, or understanding why you do what you do (or don't do) is important to you, then look no further.
What are you reading?
Profit First by Mike Michalowicz

Quick notes
  • "smaller plates" theory
  • sales - profit = expenses instead of sales - expenses = profit
  • Target Allocation Percentages
  • 10/25 day rule
  • You, the business owner, are the most valuable employee
  • Quarterly profit distribution
TBC

Ok...I am feeling very, very inferior right about now. I am currently reading a 10 hour federal course to prepare for the upcoming tax season. I haven't read any of these books...yet, but I did browse the Profit First book just last night. I can see how this system can help business owners who are not bookkeeping-minded (for lack of a better term and no offense intended), as it can really help someone visually see how the 'cash flows' since financial reports are like Greek to most business owners because, heck, they didn't start their business to do bookkeeping and most don't run out and take a class in it, which is totally fine. I went as far as to schedule a call, but decided once I got the gist that this wasn't for me and I can't foresee advising my current bookkeeping clients to open up a minimum of 5 bank accounts; however, I can see how this system could benefit many people, so I definitely don't knock it. I am typically a visual person in every other sense and this system would definitely help visual entrepreneurs.

Andrew W

Be a Provider.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Apr 12, 2018
I'm currently reading the "War of Art". It's pretty good and talks about a concept known as "resistance".
It is about all the distractions that keep you from working on your art/business. It's definitely worth a read if any of you have trouble with procrastination. Also it's a short read, almost finished.

DStark

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Mar 3, 2017
Maryland
I am reading/listening to Jordan Peterson's Maps of Meaning and 12 Rules for Life. I recommend both these as they are absolutely fascinating and 12 rules for life is a great book to help orient yourself in your life. Dr. Peterson has fantastic viewpoints on life and they have helped me and I think would give great perspective to anyone who reads it.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Is this a joke?

Not at all. Robbins has written the book with Peter Mallouk and sought advice from billionaire investors like Ray Dalio, Paul Tudor etc.

I can't think of a better place to start. Also, all profits from his book goes to Feeding America.

maikooo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 7, 2018
Ok...I am feeling very, very inferior right about now. I am currently reading a 10-hour federal course to prepare for the upcoming tax season. I haven't read any of these books...yet, but I did browse the Profit First book just last night. I can see how this system can help business owners who are not bookkeeping-minded (for lack of a better term and no offense intended), as it can really help someone visually see how the 'cash flows' since financial reports are like Greek to most business owners because, heck, they didn't start their business to do bookkeeping and most don't run out and take a class in it, which is totally fine. I went as far as to schedule a call, but decided once I got the gist that this wasn't for me and I can't foresee advising my current bookkeeping clients to open up a minimum of 5 bank accounts; however, I can see how this system could benefit many people, so I definitely don't knock it. I am typically a visual person in every other sense and this system would definitely help visual entrepreneurs.
Hey @Kristie, no need to feel inferior ... we all have priorities. I usually read first thing when I wake up, for min. 10 min. If I travel with public transport I leave it for that. It feels so good to use the time in the tram or train in a more productive way.

Re. the Profit First book, yeah the 5 accounts could be an overkill. Especially if banks ask ridiculous fees for every account, but otherwise, the concept is solid. Some people don't have the willpower to do the mental separation only and thus Mike recommends those 5 accounts and two different banks :) Well, there is no one "bulletproof" way so I like to say, "learn - get inspired - reflect - adjust to your circumstances" ... cheers

Kristie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Dec 8, 2018
Alabama
Hey @Kristie, no need to feel inferior ... we all have priorities. I usually read first thing when I wake up, for min. 10 min. If I travel with public transport I leave it for that. It feels so good to use the time in the tram or train in a more productive way.

Re. the Profit First book, yeah the 5 accounts could be an overkill. Especially if banks ask ridiculous fees for every account, but otherwise, the concept is solid. Some people don't have the willpower to do the mental separation only and thus Mike recommends those 5 accounts and two different banks :) Well, there is no one "bulletproof" way so I like to say, "learn - get inspired - reflect - adjust to your circumstances" ... cheers

Blush...thank you.

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Not at all. Robbins has written the book with Peter Mallouk and sought advice from billionaire investors like Ray Dalio, Paul Tudor etc.

I can't think of a better place to start. Also, all profits from his book goes to Feeding America.
Did Tony Robbins get rich from the advice he gives in those books?

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018

maikooo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 7, 2018
Another one - premium profile e-book from 16personalities.com
Once you guys do the test, you will start looking behind your back :) ... "Have they been watching me my whole life???" It's that accurate!

delacroix

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 28, 2018
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0375761179/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

I figured most would be posting business books, so I went with this book which is to a completely different tune.

It's poetry about love, seduction but it's written in a way that's not cliche. It's highly erotic, without being explicit. It's quite a good read and definitely a good way to see more beauty in the world.

It's written by a Roman Poet name Ovid during Augustus's Reign but a surprisingly easy to read.

Check it out.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
The rational male, if you're a man and haven't read it, do so now!! Jesus I wish I had that book back when I was 15 or younger..
It's the "millionaire fastlane " of its genre, "self realization/awakening/relationship advice/people skills, etc. Really hard to put that book in a box..
Great book, indeed. No cheating, but who can tell me who Rolo Tomasi is?

Florre 77

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 24, 2018
Listening to on Audible:

The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth by John C. Maxwell
UNSCRIPTED ... you know the author

Those Audiobooks helped me to overcome my fear of failing and to tell my Family im gonna move out and will spend the next few years on creating value as good as i can (1 room flat, 7856Euro and a Laptop ; that must be enough)

Gepi

In it to win it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jul 3, 2018
Germany
Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill ... I heart it is an all time classic and it really is...special. It tackles the way one can set and follow dreams and desires by a rational and also a spiritual angle. Right down my alley. Napoleon Hill investigated 500 of the richest self-made-millionaires, it was published 1937 and was sold around 70 million times.

As well as:
Profit first
TFM for the second time

Tidder Jail

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Nov 21, 2018
Brazil
Tools of Titans, i'm half way thought the book and i'm not sure if I should finish it. I've read many books this year but i still can't implement most of what i learned, now i'm rethinking which books i should read

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.