The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What are the odds a Female Singer/Songwriter can earn million$?!

alden1013

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 3, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
Hi MJ and friends,

I finished the Fastlane book this week and subsequently reading people's stories and advice in the forum for the last few days. I was inspired and had to join the conversation. I am the daughter of a single mother who taught me all the wrong things about money and I have worked tirelessly over the last decade or so to unlearn the poverty mentality. Prior to this year, my annual earnings were embarrassingly low. Last summer, after reading a great book called "Overcoming Underearning," I was able to kick the subconscious victim mentality I didn't even know I was harboring and decided to kick into overdrive and earn six figures for the first time in my life. I decided I would do whatever it took to make this goal happen.

I'm a musician (singer/songwriter) who has had some international success licensing my music to film and TV (Harley-Davidson, Audi, Dexter, Sony Films, etc.). (You can stream live here: Nichole ALDEN: Singer, Songwriter, & Performer.) I write and record my own songs which (with few exceptions) I usually release on my own record label. I also create and maintain my own website, handle all of my own publishing administration, and personally fulfill most of my online CD orders. I released my third CD in November 2010 and will be working on my fourth this year.

The good news there is that I actually do collect some music licensing revenue and royalty income (seedling 1) and I definitely look at all of the time I've put into the creation of my music as a "process" and the licensing placements and record deals as "events." I do not yet make enough to survive (let alone live well) from my music income, but so far this year I've brought in more money from music than I have in the entire last decade. So, I've seen a glimmer of what is possible.

Additionally, I have been running my own private academic tutoring business (20+ hours per week) for the last 4 years in addition to working full time as an elementary school teacher (40+ hours per week) off and on for the last 9 years. Sadly, neither of these "jobs" follow the Fastlane model. I say "jobs" because even though I own the tutoring business, it feels like a job and even though I am able to charge a good rate for tutoring I am limited by how many hours I can work in a day. (Each time I've tried hiring other people it's turned out to be a headache.)

So, after working my a$$ off for the last 9 months, in February I finally clawed my way to zero (DEBT-FREE). Yes, I paid off all of my debt (car and multiple student loans) and in the last couple months I've managed to save just shy of $10,000. The only bad thing about this is that I've been working 12-14 hour days for the last 9 months and have sacrificed nearly all of my social life -not to mention any time for my music- to get here. I'm maxed out on how much I can earn doing what I'm currently doing and just can't continue at this pace.

Since I never really had a place I could call "home" growing up and I've lived with roommates since 17, it's really important to me to be able to buy a nice home. I want to purchase a modern loft, ideally with cash, within the next year (which will cost over a million dollars here on the west side of Los Angeles or between $200,000 - $300,000, if I choose to move to Scottsdale where my brother is) and now that I've gotten a taste of making money I'm ready to start making some real money and make that happen!

So, this is where I am. I've got just 7 weeks left of my grueling 14-hour per day teaching/tutoring schedule. (We finish the last week of June.) I've already started putting together a few summer workshops for my current tutoring clients with other people teaching, so I can guarantee some passive income coming in this summer. And, there I will be... free as a bird and with no bills (aside from rent and living expenses --around $2000/month), roughly $10,000 in the bank, no job, single with no kids ...not even a pet. I realize many have succeeded with much less and that this provides me with a huge window of opportunity to make a giant leap forward. So, I don't want to waste this and I would really appreciate some guidance.

Perhaps I should (for once) put *all* of my time, energy, and money into my music career? -Hiring interns again and just pushing like crazy for more licensing opportunities, putting together a world tour while recording a new album, shooting a music video, and making every effort to get my pop songs placed with huge artists. (I also write in other genres for other artists.) I know how competitive this industry is, but perhaps I can push harder in the foreign markets where I have a following and try to get a break in the U.S. if for the first time I really put all of my energy into this.

To be honest, I've never really tried as hard as I can to make this happen. I'm as cynical as the next person about pie in the sky, against-the-odds dreams, but I've actually seen some success with my my music -mostly via exposure I've gotten from film trailers or a commercials overseas.

I follow music/tech industry developments religiously and, like everyone else, I've had a ton of ideas on how to capitalize on the changing face of the music industry. I actually wrote my economics thesis in college about how mp3 technology would have massive implications for holders of intellectual property rights and I predicted back in 1998 that eventually people would just steal music, leaving touring, licensing, and merchandise as the only real methods for generating an income in the music industry. My economics professor hadn't even heard of mp3 technology at the time and he argued relentlessly that we'd never have enough bandwidth for that to be an issue. Ha! (If only I had been smart and confident enough to capitalize on that prediction.)

Of course, like everyone else, I have a ton of ideas for apps that are non-music related too. But, as MJ says, ideas are just ideas. Who cares!

Anyway... I feel like I'm rambling now, but I wanted to express to the best of my ability where I currently am. I'm wondering if I should go whole-heartedly for financial success with the music or if I should perhaps use this time to start another scalable business, like one of the many app ideas I have. I'm trying to be reasonable and objective in my decision-making process and would appreciate any feedback or ideas you may have.

The real question: Can I make millions in the music industry as an artist/songwriter? Should I put my efforts into something else or should I stop being what MJ refers to as a polygamist and finally go whole-heartedly for millionaire-level success with the music?

Thanks so much for reading and thank you in advance for your input.

:) Nichole ALDEN

Hi Alden, I removed your siglink in order to comply with forum rules. We have to do this to cut down on spamming, but you can put it back up after you have 50 posts.

Thanks

Sparlin (Mod.)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kinsey6287

Blazin Fast!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 2, 2009
Well, you have two things going for you:

1. Great Music. I really liked it. And great voice too!!

2. Phenomenally beautiful! lol I mean wow... I wish I was close to LA. lol

Great looking, and a great artist.... You've got me sold! lol

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
The real question: Can I make millions in the music industry as an artist/songwriter? Should I put my efforts into something else or should I stop being what MJ refers to as a polygamist and finally go whole-heartedly for millionaire-level success with the music?

First, welcome! Great intro post, and congrats on your successes thus far.

Yes, it is absolutely possible to generate massive income from the music industry - there are hundreds of examples of people who have done so - but it takes a special type of dedication and approach, imo.

Something you seem to have intentionally shied away from, is writing for others. You don't necessarily have to start off writing a song for another artist, but imo it's well worth approaching some agents etc who may be able to help you place your works with big-name artists.

Take a look at someone like Jessie J, who recently has launched some of her own works herself in a big way, but was able to in big part due to the songs she had penned for Chris Brown, Miley Cyrus and also worked through doing some backup vocals on tours for Cyndi Lauper, Sugarbabes etc.

It's not a requirement to break in, but certainly building some backing from existing popular names helps you catapult much faster, imo - not to mentioned the royalties when a song you wrote get's pushed to #1 on say the iTunes store not only by being a great song, but by being performed/launched by an artist with an existing fanbase in the millions.

On the other hand, YouTube and social media are making it much much easier to get your name & voice out there. Look at Rebecca Black, for example. Most would say not a great song, not even performed that well, but from a marketing perspective it was a phenomenal success. Add in an actually great song, performed really well, and there really is no limit to what can be achieved.

You need to identify your target audience, and what genre you're most suited to, and push that. That said, the more popular genres are much better tracks to financial success.

As to the title of your post.. what are the odds? You're not gambling here, it's not something that is a pure luck-based phenomenon. Your actions and approach stack the odds in your favour. That's what it's all about, at the end of the day. Change the odds, and beat them.

Now, I'm gonna go visit your site, and have a listen.

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
Ok, so I've listened to a few tracks. Great voice, very well written songs. But.. and there's always a but. Catchy they are not. Now, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it makes it harder to grab a large audience. This goes back to what I said in my post above about identifying a genre / style / etc, and some being easier (though by no means easy) paths to success.

Look at recent massively popular songs - many are not even, technically, that great a song, and not even always brilliantly performed, but they tend to have a fantastic hook to catch a wider audience and the general "entertain me NOW" population.

Now, I am certainly not saying you need to change anything, the music *is* wonderful. But how big is the segment of the market who chase the style? That's what you'll need to assess, to determine what your next steps should be.

Kinsey6287

Blazin Fast!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 2, 2009
Maybe GymJunkie will chime in here. He recently started a record label and has some very talented people he's working with. Over the past year and a half I have been on this forum he has never failed to give outstanding advice, and always seeks to motivate and help others. I'l shoot him a PM.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
What about recording and packaging your music lessons for sale? Residual income.

What about tutoring bigger groups, more money in shorter time.

You have a lot going for you and you are not adverse to doing the hard work. I am impressed. Good luck.

Roger

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 4, 2011
Nichole, your music is GREAT! Align yourself with a label you respect and make it happen big time, you are ready for prime time

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I was in the music business for a couple years (live recording and producing instant CD's for string cheese incident, pixies, billy idol etc..) and went to the grammys. Definitely the wild west especially since mp3/online challenged the traditional lock on distribution. Yes, the money is in the merch/touring for most and now labels are doing 360 deals, owning a piece of everything you do. A friend of mine was a backup singer for Fleetwood all over the world and a couple other majors. She has used that for good connections, good income and is trying to leverage it. She has some cred and a couple CD's under her belt. Similar position as you wanting to break out.

You mentioned a couple different areas as far as the tech/business side or artist side. Where is your passion? Where do you see yourself in 5 yrs? 10 yrs?

Listened to a couple songs, be yourself, create your own style and stick to it. You definitely have a sultry intelligent deep delivery and a star quality. Stick to that niche and develop it. Perfect for Dexter, love that show. How did similar artists in your niche succeed? What are the demographics of their audience? Think of it as a business and customers.

I'd definitely want to study my current success, why/how did it happen? Pursue that path and leverage your current contacts. Feel free to be honest with them that you are hard working and need help. People love to help if they are asked. Ask them what other connections they have that may be able to help you. You'll be surprised how much people will go out of their way for you if asked. Good luck!

G

Guest3722A

Nichole, of the two songs I listened to, I would have to say you are definitely on the professional level. I think you need a drummer, but that's my opinion. My suggestion is to get professional management with a history, someone who manages national acts, and really add to the process here and get on a national/regional tour with a big name. Use that big name's audience and contacts.

2nd, I don't know what your age is, but from my experience with discussions from industry professionals, the closer to 30, the lower your chances. I have a friend who was as scout for Universal but it's been a few years. I'll see if I can look up his email or phone # and maybe I can get a conversation going with you two.

Trent

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jul 9, 2008
China
Nichole -- Congrats on what you've accomplished. You've really kicked a lot of a$$ and had tremendous focus, so pat yourself on the back. Your work ethic has already put you ahead of many talented, but lazy potheads.

For reference, I played in a band with a girl that recently 'hit it big'(signed to major label) and have some connection to a certain rocknroll HOF band...

There are definitely some patterns out there that seem to repeat themselves. That said, I think the Amanda Hocking story applies to music as well--it isn't so much a lottery of hoping to be discovered these days, as it is developing a product and a customer base. I think the paradigm of success in music has changed drastically and will continue to. You've got to look ahead at whats next...

But back to patterns. In my experience, here are the prevalent patterns of those that 'hit it big' with examples.

1. Money from something else funds music career -- this is true of many rappers. They make money in other areas, and then pursue music with new found money and power. Perfect example is Jay Z.

2. Lottery -- American Idol, people that are discovered randomly, etc. Relying on this model is disempowering.

3. Friends of someone already famous - This is happening a lot these days...they befriend someone already famous and ride their coat tails to fame. EX. Kanye West, Foo Fighters, My friend who shall remain nameless got to know an already famous country star

4. Superior Product -- Some bands people lock themselves in their basement studio and make superior music. Think Boston, Collective Soul, and Owl City

If I were in your shoes, I'd create a business that doesn't require you being there to fund superior recording/marketing (Patterns #1 and #4), then network with already successful people (#3).

By the way, my aforementioned friend doesn't have much talent, but she does have intense drive. She was also undeterred at failure ie concerts with 2 people in the audience. Work smart, and never give up!

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Ok, thanx Matt for kind words, I'm real humbled! Can't give a lot of advice here because I'm real new to this music stuff.

In my opinion you need to:

Get few of your song on Youtube with videos made of your pictures (basically a slideshow).
Start a Twitter account and talk with people there about stuff you like and then slowly build connections
Focus mostly on getting licensing deals to get money. Dont tour expecting to make a lot of money, you succeeded at getting few gigs there so keep focusing and work that puppy! If you get into few more movies or commercials you can leverage it when going to the local radios I think.
Do start writting for others, if you find project you believe dont be afraid to give away your lyrics if you feel song can take off. Sometimes favor like that can bring you results later on.

Cheers

alden1013

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 3, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
Wow! Thank you so much for such thoughtful and helpful replies. -So many pearls of wisdom and great advice throughout.

I wrote a long response that I unfortunately didn't save before submitting. Guess I wan't really logged in, so the whole thing was erased. :( I have to be up for school in 6 hours, so I'll have to rethink my responses and make another attempt to respond adequately tomorrow.

In the meantime, I really appreciate your insights. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback.

Cheers!
Nichole ALDEN

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

alden1013

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 3, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
I'm usually pretty prompt in my responses, but my first draft was lost I guess since I spent so long typing it out that the system logged me out. When I hit send, everything I had written was erased and the thought of sitting right back down to rewrite all my responses was daunting. In any case, 2 weeks of 14-hour days later, I finally worked up the energy to respond (again). :) Please see direct responses below. Thank you to everyone for the thoughtful comments and suggestions. I'm really looking forward to moving into the Fastlane this summer. Five weeks of school left, but my left turn signal is already on. :)

Kinsey6287: Thank you for the kind words and encouragement.

Inphinity: Thanks for your insight. One of the main focuses this summer will be getting some of the songs I've written for other artists placed. I appreciate your reminder about that. As for my niche as an artist, I've grown into this sultry dark moody vibe. The songs I write for myself aren't heavy on hooks, rather more mood-inducing (come Massive Attack, etc.). That said, the track I've had the most success with up until this point, “Baby Now,” is one of the simpler, more direct songs. So, this week I bought a piano so I can write more tracks in that vein. Thanks again for taking the time to write such thoughtful comments.

Runum: I don't actually teach music. Believe it or not, I'm also actually a 4th grade teacher. (Crazy, I know.) I am actually putting together some group tutoring sessions for the summer. I think you're right in that they will be a better use of time. Thanks!

Roger: Thanks! I may consider shopping to labels in the U.S. this summer. I am currently signed to a territory deal with a label in Korea and a dance track I cowrote was just signed to a major dance label in the U.S. for worldwide distribution. Might be worth checking out other deals as well. In the past, I've steered away from pursuing label deals because typically they take your publishing i.e. half of an artist's royalty income, if not more, and artists tend to lose a lot of control over your creative process. The industry is changing so much now that it seems there may be new opportunities that provide major label exposure without selling the farm. I'll definitely pursue those opportunities. I appreciate your encouragement.

CommonCents: Sounds like you had a good run in the industry. You posed some great questions, which I'm still reflecting on. The passion question is easy: music. I'd consider the tech/business side a strong interest. I see my current trajectory genre-wise as similar to Massive Attack or perhaps even Florence and the Machine. My demographic tends to be pretty well spilt across all age groups (teens - 40's) and worldwide locations (obviously skewing higher in Korea, Taiwan, Brazil, etc. where I've had more licensing exposure). The fans I have are amazing and super dedicated -quoting and translating lyrics on their blogs and tweets. Some have made tribute videos and posted them to YouTube. A couple weeks ago I came across a video of a young dance group using my song “Baby Now” for their dance recital, which was pretty cool. Most of my success up until this point, if I'm honest with myself, has been a result luck mixed with work. I've put a lot of work into the creative parts of the process, but have always come up short in promoting myself. For whatever reason, everything I know about marketing, business strategies, etc. seems to remain relatively dormant when it comes to my music. (Contrarily, I've had no trouble marketing my tutoring business.) That said, in 5 years, I don't see myself as a tutor, I see myself as a professional songwriter. Thank you for asking these questions. I'll continue to reflect on these in the coming weeks as the school year comes to a close.

Topherea: I agree on the drums. I actually hired a drummer for my first record, but given the collaborative circumstances and budget limitations of my last two records we opted for computer drums. Will definitely be pushing for live drums on the next one. :) I've signed with a few different professional managers in the past and unfortunately haven't had the best experiences. That said, I think it would be worth pursuing management again at this point. I think I've learned from the past and would know a bit better what to look for as far as a good fit is concerned. Thanks for your offer to hook me up with your friend at Universal. I'd love to be put in touch. Funny thing about the age constraint is that when I was a kid playing in my first band I said all the time if I hadn't “made it” (whatever that meant) by the time I was 23 I was going to quit pursuing music. Now I laugh at my ridiculous teenaged self. When I was 23, I was still figuring out who I was as an artist. I don't see age as a barrier since every year I've gotten older and ever year I've gotten better, made more money, and sold more music. I'm not looking to be a pop star, so I'm actually thrilled that I'm older than 23. :)

Trent: Thank you so much. (I'm glad I've never touched drugs.) I think your pattern analysis is pretty accurate. Any suggestions on how I go about pursuing Pattern #1? The good news is that anywhere my music has gotten exposure (usually via licensing – television commercials, movie trailers, etc.) I've gained quite a few listeners and fans. Might there be any brave investors who think it would be fun to jump into this quickly changing market and see what can be done with a little cash and a product that's already proven profitable in various markets? That would be cool. I'm not holding my breath for a windfall though. I'm looking at how I can do everything within my power to push this forward. I'm working consistently toward Pattern #4 and will give your #3 a shot as well. I appreciate your thoughtful input and encouragement.

Gymjunkie: Thanks for writing. I do have several videos on YouTube. (Just search “Nichole ALDEN” and you'll see quite a few.) Some are live, others are slideshow type videos. This summer I will be shooting a full length music video. There are also quite a few fan-created videos on YouTube using my music. I use Facebook and Twitter regularly and have ongoing communication with fans via both of those outlets. You're absolutely right about licensing being the focus for revenue. I rarely play live shows and focus far more of my energy on recording and licensing for exactly that reason. I do have a substantial catalog of songs I've written with the intent of placing them with other artists. I'll absolutely pursue that this summer. I appreciate your reminder about that.

Biophase: Thank you and thanks for posting links to the dance track. :) Lots of great feedback so far. I'm really looking forward to diving head first into this in just 5 short weeks!!!

Thanks again, Fastlaners! :)
<3 Nichole ALDEN

Trent

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jul 9, 2008
China
Might there be any brave investors who think it would be fun to jump into this quickly changing market and see what can be done with a little cash and a product that's already proven profitable in various markets? That would be cool.

My cousin just financed his entire band's world tour through Kickstarter ... I was skeptical at first, but I've seen it work first hand. I think the key is being very specific about what you want to accomplish with the money.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Good luck Nichole, add me on Twitter if you want @adrijusg ;) Keep focusing on licensing and then when you got some stable income or enough to live off of licensing then go after more usual music biz stuff. ;)

And thank your fans that made videos on Youtube for doing it! They might promote it more for you and get you some more views and fans ;)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Wow, I missed this thread. Great intro. Have you studied other "no-label" music success stories?

Here's one that was recently posted here:

Ingrid Michaelson: The singer who calls her own tune | Mail Online

Welcome to the forum!

It's not 'no-label' approach she has. She has her own label, has people helping her, she had a huge break cuz she had licensing deals and she wrote a huge hit in Europe for Cheryl Cole who was superhot in UK.. She also lets other Label do the marketing and other stuff.. So while its not Major Label success it still is not a completely DIY story either. Sadly complete DIY is incredibly rare, you can succeed without a Major label, but not without a team of people helping you.

Very nice story nonetheless, hope to repeat it and make it better with my own rapper and label :)

read2learn

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Sounds good. Just make sure you have a backup plan for 2 reasons:

1. I dont know anybody that buys music anymore. Last time I went into Best Buy, the CD section was gone and replaced with Itune gift cards

2. You can run through $10,000 fast in the music industry

I live in West La too...actually I live in Westwood. As you know, in Los Angeles you need to network with the right people. It might be a good idea to make a lot of Youtube videos to gain some exposure and maybe the right people will come to you and you can keep your $10,000. That's how Justin Bieber was discovered, and a 2 years later hes worth about $70,000,000

VirginiaR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 26, 2018
Aruba
Hi MJ and friends,

I finished the Fastlane book this week and subsequently reading people's stories and advice in the forum for the last few days. I was inspired and had to join the conversation. I am the daughter of a single mother who taught me all the wrong things about money and I have worked tirelessly over the last decade or so to unlearn the poverty mentality. Prior to this year, my annual earnings were embarrassingly low. Last summer, after reading a great book called "Overcoming Underearning," I was able to kick the subconscious victim mentality I didn't even know I was harboring and decided to kick into overdrive and earn six figures for the first time in my life. I decided I would do whatever it took to make this goal happen.

I'm a musician (singer/songwriter) who has had some international success licensing my music to film and TV (Harley-Davidson, Audi, Dexter, Sony Films, etc.). (You can stream live here: Nichole ALDEN: Singer, Songwriter, & Performer.) I write and record my own songs which (with few exceptions) I usually release on my own record label. I also create and maintain my own website, handle all of my own publishing administration, and personally fulfill most of my online CD orders. I released my third CD in November 2010 and will be working on my fourth this year.

The good news there is that I actually do collect some music licensing revenue and royalty income (seedling 1) and I definitely look at all of the time I've put into the creation of my music as a "process" and the licensing placements and record deals as "events." I do not yet make enough to survive (let alone live well) from my music income, but so far this year I've brought in more money from music than I have in the entire last decade. So, I've seen a glimmer of what is possible.

Additionally, I have been running my own private academic tutoring business (20+ hours per week) for the last 4 years in addition to working full time as an elementary school teacher (40+ hours per week) off and on for the last 9 years. Sadly, neither of these "jobs" follow the Fastlane model. I say "jobs" because even though I own the tutoring business, it feels like a job and even though I am able to charge a good rate for tutoring I am limited by how many hours I can work in a day. (Each time I've tried hiring other people it's turned out to be a headache.)

So, after working my a$$ off for the last 9 months, in February I finally clawed my way to zero (DEBT-FREE). Yes, I paid off all of my debt (car and multiple student loans) and in the last couple months I've managed to save just shy of $10,000. The only bad thing about this is that I've been working 12-14 hour days for the last 9 months and have sacrificed nearly all of my social life -not to mention any time for my music- to get here. I'm maxed out on how much I can earn doing what I'm currently doing and just can't continue at this pace.

Since I never really had a place I could call "home" growing up and I've lived with roommates since 17, it's really important to me to be able to buy a nice home. I want to purchase a modern loft, ideally with cash, within the next year (which will cost over a million dollars here on the west side of Los Angeles or between $200,000 - $300,000, if I choose to move to Scottsdale where my brother is) and now that I've gotten a taste of making money I'm ready to start making some real money and make that happen!

So, this is where I am. I've got just 7 weeks left of my grueling 14-hour per day teaching/tutoring schedule. (We finish the last week of June.) I've already started putting together a few summer workshops for my current tutoring clients with other people teaching, so I can guarantee some passive income coming in this summer. And, there I will be... free as a bird and with no bills (aside from rent and living expenses --around $2000/month), roughly $10,000 in the bank, no job, single with no kids ...not even a pet. I realize many have succeeded with much less and that this provides me with a huge window of opportunity to make a giant leap forward. So, I don't want to waste this and I would really appreciate some guidance.

Perhaps I should (for once) put *all* of my time, energy, and money into my music career? -Hiring interns again and just pushing like crazy for more licensing opportunities, putting together a world tour while recording a new album, shooting a music video, and making every effort to get my pop songs placed with huge artists. (I also write in other genres for other artists.) I know how competitive this industry is, but perhaps I can push harder in the foreign markets where I have a following and try to get a break in the U.S. if for the first time I really put all of my energy into this.

To be honest, I've never really tried as hard as I can to make this happen. I'm as cynical as the next person about pie in the sky, against-the-odds dreams, but I've actually seen some success with my my music -mostly via exposure I've gotten from film trailers or a commercials overseas.

I follow music/tech industry developments religiously and, like everyone else, I've had a ton of ideas on how to capitalize on the changing face of the music industry. I actually wrote my economics thesis in college about how mp3 technology would have massive implications for holders of intellectual property rights and I predicted back in 1998 that eventually people would just steal music, leaving touring, licensing, and merchandise as the only real methods for generating an income in the music industry. My economics professor hadn't even heard of mp3 technology at the time and he argued relentlessly that we'd never have enough bandwidth for that to be an issue. Ha! (If only I had been smart and confident enough to capitalize on that prediction.)

Of course, like everyone else, I have a ton of ideas for apps that are non-music related too. But, as MJ says, ideas are just ideas. Who cares!

Anyway... I feel like I'm rambling now, but I wanted to express to the best of my ability where I currently am. I'm wondering if I should go whole-heartedly for financial success with the music or if I should perhaps use this time to start another scalable business, like one of the many app ideas I have. I'm trying to be reasonable and objective in my decision-making process and would appreciate any feedback or ideas you may have.

Thanks so much for reading and thank you in advance for your input.

:) Nichole ALDEN

Hi Alden, I removed your siglink in order to comply with forum rules. We have to do this to cut down on spamming, but you can put it back up after you have 50 posts.

Thanks

Sparlin (Mod.)

Hi Nichole! Waw ! So awesome I found such a an amazing artist like you here on the Fastlane Forum! I hope you are still around, checking this forum once and a while. I listened to your songs! waw!! beautiful voice and production! So mysterious and deep. I love that style! I am also a singer/composer too, and I saw you had your song placed in a movie. Now Baby. Love it by the way! May I ask who your producer is? And where do did you sign up to get your song placed in the movie?

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Has someone here suggested trying to grow your youtube channel? It looks like you abandoned a possible revenue stream. Isn't that how justin bieber got started and all of these god awful youtube stars like ricegum and lil pump?

EDIT: Just wanted to add, I think a VLOG documenting your journey and talking about your hopes and dreams can create fans even those who don't listen to your music. Creating a connection with your audience and sharing your struggles will definitely bring in new fans.

Last edited:

Chx

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
308%
Feb 6, 2018
United States
OP hasn't viewed the forum since 2011.

You are correct, LeoistheSun, but in the case that someone in a similar situation stumbles across this thread, they'd be sure to appreciate any additional advice given at the end.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
you have to understand that entertainment is owned by a few guys at the top of society

they decide who will be put on stage and who will never go anywhere

so you have to be part of the money agenda of these guys

in our society, music is about money and knowing the right guys , not performance

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
you have to understand that entertainment is owned by a few guys at the top of society

they decide who will be put on stage and who will never go anywhere

so you have to be part of the money agenda of these guys

in our society, music is about money and knowing the right guys , not performance

Youtube is changing that

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...