The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What are some Certs/Short careers that will lead you to own your business ?

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Well im going back to school, but dont want to spend 6 years getting my Associates theres some certs of even short careers out there that help you and give you enough skills to start your own business. Any ideas guys ? or what are you guys majoring in ?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
The school of hard knocks has a great entrepreneurship course, I have heard it gets you extremely prepared

Entourage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Sep 12, 2012
What Mike says!

In training my salespeople, I let them roar free. First meeting, I let them do their own version of anything (even if it means they'll completely blow it.) Trying is the best way of learning!

D

DeletedUser2

learn sales,
learn people skills

learn basic accounting (only enough so you can tell if your bookeeper is stealing from you :confused: )

go find someone you can help out, who is already successful, want a tip? don't go to school, instead stay broke for 3 semesters, helping someone out, who is successful, and by the end of it you will have a million dollar education.

seriously

Z

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I have no idea.

I'm getting a BBA in management and marketing. I know people who have ended up in shitty situations with that degree, e.g. being on the sales floor at 49 years old, etc. To me my college degree is not the end-all be all but simply a part of my entire plan. The degree, the piece of paper, is meaningless to me but means a lot to my family. I don't want to be seen as a F*ck-up.

At the same time, I'm running my own business. I'm learning primarily through the forum, books, and LinkedIn conversations but there's only so much you can do.

I remember JackEdwards posted in a thread about getting a successful business without going through start-up headaches, where you approach the old owner of a very successful business in your local area and offer to buy it for cash. MJ was offered a limousine business for no money down (he declined, of course).

Evidently there's some value in that: approach a successful business owner in your area and offer to work for them and with them, for free if need be. In that time you will learn a lot about running a business. By the same token, you may have a chance to have the business because everyone wants to retire.

You would need to figure out a way to turn the business Fastlane in order for this to be an end-game plan, especially when it deals with scale and time. There are many millionaires out there stuck in their businesses just begging to retire. They want to retire but are afraid to sell their business, their baby, their livelihood, to some capital firm. They are looking for a cheeky young chap like you to come along, learn the business, and make it bigger than their wildest dreams so they can go home and spend time with their family.

To get started on that, you're going to need to hit the pavement, talk to business owners, offer them considerable value, and you'd be lucky to get a yes. But that's kind of the point, this is not supposed to be easy.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Anything that involves selling. The harder the sell the better.

21elnegocio

Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ

Damn such a dissapointment to hear that college is a scam SMH , im thinking of studying Construction management and learn that field as much as I can then start a construction/remodeling business. Or maybe even get into Real State buying houses and fixing them up in the future. What you guys think ? good or no ?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
What you guys think ? good or no ?
Yes. No.

It depends.

Are you handy?

When the toilet stops working, do you fix it or do you pay somebody to take care of it? Paint your room? etc, etc. You get the idea.

Also, easy to get? Real estate agent. May be in line with what you have in mind.

You have to sell.

Learn a lot about Marketing and Advertising.

You have to talk and talk and talk and Talk to people.

Convince them to let you sell their house.

Convince others to let you represent them and find the house they will buy.

It is a non-expensive class (last time I checked, less than $500)

And should be a great way to understand how REI works and see what people actually make money with construction and rehabbing.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

It seems there's no coincidence that former Kirby vacuum cleaner salesmen ended up doing well. Who the hell in their right mind would pay an extra $2000 for something they already had?

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Really? Why not? That always seems to be in demand....
For an employee. It's possible to start your own company with networking knowledge but I see it more as valuable employee knowledge instead of a cert(s) that would be helpful in starting your own business.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I had the chance to pursue Cisco certifications back in high school. I went for Microsoft ones instead.

What was I thinking? Cisco certs are way more in demand! Probably would have a job already.

Then again, if I had a cushy networking job at 17 or 18, it might have killed my entrepreneurial drive.

Mike.B

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Oct 27, 2011
Ohio
I had the chance to pursue Cisco certifications back in high school. I went for Microsoft ones instead.

What was I thinking? Cisco certs are way more in demand! Probably would have a job already.

Then again, if I had a cushy networking job at 17 or 18, it might have killed my entrepreneurial drive.

After being in IT for numerous years, I've come to realize that certifications aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

VIP

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Oct 19, 2012
San Diego
Don't know about certs but you can watch a couple of videos on youtube on how to repair iphone screens and start offering that service.

Total Investment:

Tools: $60 ( not a affiliate link ) (Pro Tech Toolkit - iFixit)

Business Cards $30

iPhone parts I would buy on eBay to start off and then start looking into buying from china from sites such as aliaba.

Hope this helps you.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me or reply here.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok

Business wise I think you're better off on the server side. Companies will begin to migrate over to Server 2012 and Hyper-V. Step in front of it.

Jun 22, 2012
I agree with Mike B, most certifications you receive aren't worth their weight when you factor in time and cost. I would strongly suggest researching and finding local entrepreneurship courses. I know Babson College in Boston is receiving national attention for their program. Check it out and best of luck to you.

21elnegocio

Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Thanks a lot everyone, this forum is always helpful

St.Alpine

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Aug 6, 2012
Germany
The other guys have already said it quiet nicely.

A.
Get a job in sales. Only if it's just for a short period of time.

One of my top 3 epiphanies of last year was a lot of successful business owners
somehow started out in a sales position.

The most recent example is Ralph, who joined the forum lately.
He was VP of sales worldwide at JBL before he started his own business.

Jay Abraham started out as a sales guy.

Robert Herjavec sold main frames in the start of his career.

The first job of Tim Ferris was as a sales guy at a hardware company.

Nevertheless, without having a very good product, your sales skills only
take you so far.
I don't like people knowing how to sell ice to Eskimos, but
are selling a crappy product.

B.
Surround yourself with already successful people.

"If you hang around dogs, don't be surprised to get fleas."

To surround myself with these people is a major part of this year
for me.
Besides continuing my education as an
mechanical engineer in the automotive business,
I am finding somebody successful I can help
out in his business in my spare time.

From reading dozens of interviews of successful people
it really buckles down to get in contact with people who operate
at a much higher level then you do.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.