The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

WeWork: Sounds/looks great, but does anyone actually work?

G

Guest12120

I am about to get a private office in a coworking space here in West Palm. It's called Venture X and they seem to have a very similar vibe to WeWork.

The location is perfect for me (walking distance from my apartment) and I like the month to month lease. If If you lease a private office you get 24/7 access to the space. Coffee and fibre internet are included.

Private offices with one desk, one chair and one filing cabinet cost $800-$875/month.

Here is some more info West Palm Beach - City Place Shared Office Spaces Available | Venture X

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest12120

Signed the agreement with Venture X. I think I was the first tenant. I took a small private office. They open doors on the 1st. I expect a massive increase of productivity!
44249069_476868349488010_2411042495052906496_n.jpg

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
My dad gave me his MiFi. So I've been doing all my work at the local forest park.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
It seems like one would get really distracted here.

If you want to feel like you’re part of a start-up, then sure, pay $XXX per month.

But referring to Deep Work by Cal Newport, it’s hard to be focused in a deep level of concentration with an open office environment, glass walls, and constant alternatives (chattering employees, games, etc) to tasks at hand.

Looks more like a social, happy hour, than a work place.

We’re trying to remove distractions, not add more.

But to each their own.
Might as well have some teenagers bring an Xbox and a projector and start playing Super Smash Bros

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
I toured WeWork in Denver and it was pretty awesome, but I could definitely see all the cool stuff being a distraction.

I settled on a different coworking space that wasn't on the 27th floor of a high rise.

Anyway, my reasoning for joining a co-working space was to surround myself with likeminded people and make some new friends/possible business connections.

I have made some friends, but my expectations were off. I thought the place was going to be full of entrepreneurs working heavy hours, but everyone is in by 9 and out by 4:30. I have the place to myself from 7pm on, and I'm usually the only one here on the weekends.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
I looked into it to get me out of the house a few days a week. My local coworking space is right downtown next to my favorite acai bowl place and the rates were really reasonable. I considered it but stopped the minute I realized none my current contracts allow for co-working spaces. I might be in the minority here but if you have any contacts with your clients (NDAs specifically), I would review before moving forward.

Boo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jul 6, 2018
I tend to agree, WeWork is pretty much just companies that are and probably will always be pre-revenue, freelancers and designers. Over a thousand dollars for a 30 square foot office for two people? What a joke.

WeWork is unbelievably overpriced. The only advantage that you have as a business owner is that you get the month to month contracts, whereas Regex and other large offices tend to be yearly contracts which might be a little much for some small businesses.

Regardless, after touring multiple co-working spots I see practically no difference between them and a nice coffee or juice spot. A bunch of different people working or just goofing around with nice art on the wall. If you'd rather spend a thousand dollars or more on that instead of paid advertising or a foreign VA... I dunno what to say. In my opinion, I don't think there are many reasons to logically justify the cost of WeWork.

Connor

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jan 2, 2012
South Carolina
While I don't have firsthand experience, I do like the idea of making office space more accessible for smaller companies. I could see the benefit of having access to conference space, especially in higher end areas that might be closer to potential clients than some of the older, shared offices that are around the suburbs.

They are going to get smacked in a recession though. One of the best things with commercial real estate is the fact that you typically have people locked into 3, 5, or even 10 year leases, which significantly helps to stabilize cash flow. With all of these short term programs, it's almost like operating an extended stay hotel.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I dunno what to say. In my opinion, I don't think there are many reasons to logically justify the cost of WeWork.

I can give seven reasons why I'm going to spend the $300 to return to We Work in November with a Hot Desk.

1. I made amazing connections my first time working out of We Work and some are still there and nice to have consolidated.

2. I can hold events out of the We Work at no cost as long as I feed people and bring value. This is huge for me as I need to hold events all the time and this is going to be an interesting component.

3. My We Work is at the base of Amazon's HQ and is the perfect location.

4. I'll get access back into their online system and it really has a lot of benefits if you collaborate in many different cities.

5. Like Bart Kavanaugh I like beer, and they have free beer.

6. Easy contract, can do month to month, GTFO whenever.

7. I can go to any We Work in the World and work out of.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
I've been working out of WeWork Latino Reforma in Mexico City for 4 months this year and I love it. I go early before the hordes get there and snag my free coffee then find a quiet booth to work in.

It's relatively affordable at $240/mo and is well worth it since my productivity is through the roof being around a bunch of people that don't speak the same language as me... :)

I could work from my condo but I get distracted easily at home. My quiet booth at WeWork is an oasis of getting shit done.

I wouldn't do it for months on end but it's a nice way to mix it up as someone who can work from anywhere.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
I just signed up for a coworking space similar to this.

24/7 access including wifi,coffee,conference rooms for around $200 a month.

It's really great for those who can't focus at home. No disctractions here, just desks and people working. Its 10pm when this photo was taken so that's why its so empty.

Follow up post on my experience.

In all honesty it was a big fail on my part. I only showed up <15 times during my 3 month period I paid for.

It didn't work for me because the benefits did not justify the extra 60 minutes round trip travel time to get the office and back. That just added a lot of resistance to getting work done.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Follow up post on my experience.

In all honesty it was a big fail on my part. I only showed up <15 times during my 3 month period I paid for.

It didn't work for me because the benefits did not justify the extra 60 minutes round trip travel time to get the office and back. That just added a lot of resistance to getting work done.

Curious, why did you sign on then in the first place? Did you expect to dismiss the commute?

How about the 15 times you did show up? Better productivity?

I'd drive 2 hours if I knew my productivity would spike by 1000%.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
Co-working spaces just aren't for me.
Same reason why in my many years in college, I didn't read in the library more than twenty times total.

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
Curious, why did you sign on then in the first place? Did you expect to dismiss the commute?

How about the 15 times you did show up? Better productivity?

I'd drive 2 hours if I knew my productivity would spike by 1000%.

I thought since i was paying for it, it would be hard for me to not go. I was wrong and underestimated how much resistance my mind had.

I was not more productive but it doesn't speak about the coworking place so much as the person going. I was more "it will be nice for me to work there" rather than "I really NEED the space there to work".

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
A new variant of this...

On Demand cubes (offices).

Taking investments now...

Zenspace Inc

No, I'm not investing. Not something that intrigues me.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
A new variant of this...

Zenspace Inc

Interesting idea!

I see where they're going with this. Just take a look at this slide:

14_2.png

Sort of an uber/wework hybrid.

But I think it's FLAWED.

People won't want to open an app, find a local pod, schedule a time, and pay just to have a quiet space.

They want to just walk up to one and go in it, do their business, and leave.

The real opportunity is leasing it commercially to event/convention centers, trade shows, etc.

All of the event centers I've been to are open floors & loud...terrible places if you want to have a quiet chat, let alone give a presentation.

Lease 20 of these puppies out at once, line them all up against one wall as "meeting spaces"

Collect the rent and send some guys to maintain the pods in between events...

I'm just talking out of my a$$ here now lol

kkoasdfawfqwe2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Feb 17, 2017
Europe
Interesting idea!

I see where they're going with this. Just take a look at this slide:

14_2.png

Sort of an uber/wework hybrid.

But I think it's FLAWED.

People won't want to open an app, find a local pod, schedule a time, and pay just to have a quiet space.

They want to just walk up to one and go in it, do their business, and leave.

The real opportunity is leasing it commercially to event/convention centers, trade shows, etc.

All of the event centers I've been to are open floors & loud...terrible places if you want to have a quiet chat, let alone give a presentation.

Lease 20 of these puppies out at once, line them all up against one wall as "meeting spaces"

Collect the rent and send some guys to maintain the pods in between events...

I'm just talking out of my a$$ here now lol

I disagree.

I would use it in my earlier stages for sure.

I can see a need for it within very small businesses or startups.

Only way to truely know is to test it within the market.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I disagree.

I would use it in my earlier stages for sure.

I can see a need for it within very small businesses or startups.

Only way to truely know is to test it within the market.
Of course. The only way is to test...

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
A new variant of this...

Zenspace Inc

So I'm not clear on this. Their main product is selling the pods to office space owners, but also the ability for anyone to book it through an app? So someone off the street can just use the pod in what used to be a private office space?

There's similar spaces (without the pods) in nyc. There's breather.com where you can book ondemand rooms per hour. And some other coworking on demand apps as well. NOT cheap at all per hour.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.