The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Weirdest Fix 'n' Flip Story

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
I thought I'd seen it all in our fix 'n' flip houses. We're right now doing our final one (at least for awhile) - it's our big Paradise Valley (Phoenix area) house. We moved out this week and the work started this morning. I just got a call from my husband when he showed up with the crew. Somehow an owl has gotten into the house and has already created a nest in one of the big skylights (it's probably 6' x 6' with a wide ledge all around it) in a room very high high ceilings. We're 15 minutes from the Phoenix airport - it's not like it's Wild Kingdom where we are! (We do have 2 acres and a flowing arroyo that the house bridges, but still...)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
That's Funny! We are in the Wierdest Construction Zone...

We are building our house. The workers have to fight with the horses to get to the can.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
reminds me of a Budweiser commercial. :smilielol:

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Owl Update....

My son got a ladder and climbed up to take a picture. The owl jumped on his head.

He wrapped it up in his jacket and brought it to our new home. (The thought of him driving his jeep with a wild animal inside aside...) Anyway, he took a photo and sent it via phone to the Fish & Game dept. They identified it as a Boreal Owl, full grown adult and determined that he/she was healthy. They said to just release him in a safe place. So, David climbed a palm tree (did I mention he's a crazy 16 year old?) and coaxed the owl off his shoulder. The owl is now hanging out in our backyard in the trees.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Update on the owl - We've moved out of the Paradise Valley house during construction and into another property. David had brought the owl over to our new house (about 2 1/2 miles from the former residence).

Reluctantly, he let the owl go. The owl stayed around in the trees in the backyard for another night and day and then left.

He went back to the Paradise Valley house! The construction workers have seen him in the garage but he flew out when they came in.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Now that's a very nice 'pet'... you enjoy seeing him/her there but have not to take any actions to keep him healthy. Please do post pics...

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
As you are aware Diane, I don't live too far from you.

One day Shannon yelled out that the dog had something in the backyard. I ran out there and shook an owl about the size of a pidgeon out of her mouth. I then took the dog in the house and went back out to check on the bird. It was a baby owl likely on its maiden flight voyage. As I stood over the youngster to check it out, I got frapped in the head by its mother.

I watched the rest unfold from a distance. Fortunately, the baby was able to regain its posture and fly away.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
The little guy looks scared and pissed at the same time :p What are your plans for relocating him? Animal Control?

Poudda

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Sep 7, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
It looks like he's about to shoot "laser beams" out of his eyes!

(had to steal pic for avatar - if my bad, let me know and I'll delete)

(On second thought, the laser beam eyes just don't seem to be captured in this size, I'll try something else)

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
This house is right next to the Biltmore, but feels like you're in the country. There is about 1 1/2 acres, an arroyo and trees (one of them is purported to be the oldest Mesquite in the greater Phoenix area). So, he's just hanging out in that area. There is wildlife - tons of rabbits, quail, morning doves, kangaroo rats, kit fox (once), raccoons, coyotes and bats that come down from Piestewa Peak at night.

I have another pic I have to get loaded (waiting for my son to get back with my flash drive) that shows the owl all snuggled up in David's jacket and fast asleep. He does have laser beam eyes - but seemed like a pet.

Analyzer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Aug 31, 2007
Portugal, Europe
owl_orly.png

I guess someone would post it sonner or later, couldn't help myself :smx3:​

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
And here is the owl, all snuggled down for a nap in David's jacket. The owl seemed completely at ease.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Diane, nice pics

Andrew63

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 14, 2007
A gentleman came up to the house I'm rehabbing. He had lived there years ago, and was glad to see that I was fixing it up. He gave me a picture of the house in its heyday. The place was immaculate. I bought it as a junker.

Also, he showed my how to find the entrance to the nuclear fallout shelter that was under the back deck.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
A gentleman came up to the house I'm rehabbing. He had lived there years ago, and was glad to see that I was fixing it up. He gave me a picture of the house in its heyday. The place was immaculate. I bought it as a junker.

Also, he showed my how to find the entrance to the nuclear fallout shelter that was under the back deck.

So is that a benefit to the house? Did you know it was there? Fascinating....

My husband bought a former crack house that had been raided...and had to bring in someone to catch the giant python that was still roaming around.

Andrew63

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 14, 2007
So is that a benefit to the house? Did you know it was there? Fascinating....

My husband bought a former crack house that had been raided...and had to bring in someone to catch the giant python that was still roaming around.

It's more likely a liability. The top of the stairwell is about 24" below grade, so I'm just going to leave it alone. I bought it out of foreclosure (REO) and didn't know about it. Maybe I need to add a search with ground penetrating radar to my due dilligence.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.