The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Website Translation

zaiteku

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 10, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
What is the easiest way to localize a website (translate the contents to be readable in other languages)?

Besides hiring someone to translate everything for you, is there any reliable software anyone can recommend that does a good job of it??

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
I havent checked this myself buy I've seen blogs translated by google. There must be an api or something, I would search for that.

But remember, computer translations are not nearly as good as human translations!

zaiteku

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 10, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
thanks, yeah Im a bit fearful of computer translations, but I thought I would research them thoroughly first. I found some localization companies as well, Ill check those out.

thanks for the reply!

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
For what I know, there is no software at a level to do a very good translation. Yes, the page could be 'readable' but anybody will know it is just a computer based translation. That gives the impression of a business that doesn't really care about the customer in that country/region. If you want to do it right then you will have to pay human translators.

zaiteku

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 10, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
thanks andviv,

thats a good point. I may just have to shell out and get some peeps to localize. Hopefully one day AI will get to the point of bing able to do it off a computer though...

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
What language were you looking for? I know an AMAZING Portuguese translator if you need one.

Tom
www.aptohosting.com

AlwaysCurious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jan 16, 2008
GMT +1
For what I know, there is no software at a level to do a very good translation. Yes, the page could be 'readable' but anybody will know it is just a computer based translation. That gives the impression of a business that doesn't really care about the customer in that country/region. If you want to do it right then you will have to pay human translators.

I second that. Every software you can find makes your text read like spam. Therefore users will treat your site as spam as well. Never ever use it for business.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
We just downloaded the button from google- we have both German and Spanish on our site and it was free and works great.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
well, Yves, last time I checked your website, that translation was just OK. I did not mention it before as I know you are re-designing the web site, but definitively it has lots of room for improvement.

AlwaysCurious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jan 16, 2008
GMT +1
Best test for those translation tools is to translate your text two times, first into the desired language, then back to english. Judge for yourself.

Redshft

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Nov 5, 2007
Greenville, NC
I have found that computer translation SUCKS at best. Some programs such as Google and Altavista try to translate the best as possible, but still usually translate into the literal meaning. Remember, different languages have different word order than others. For example...I took this text from TechArt's webpage(A well known Porsche tuner)

Um Außergewöhnliches in Einzigartiges zu verwandeln, braucht es ein sicheres Gespür für Formen und feinste Handarbeit.

Google translates as...

Unusual in order to transform uniquely, it needs a secure feel for forms and the finest craftsmanship.

Dictionary.com tranlates to....

In order to transform unusual into singular, it needs a safe feeling for forms and finest manual work.

Doesn't make too much sense does it?? What they are trying to say is, "Turning something extraordinary into something unique needs a sense of design and great workmanship."

For multiple translations you can try this site...

http://translation.langenberg.com/

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.