The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Web hosting Go big or small

faq88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 14, 2009
I searched a bit and not sure which way to go. I am looking at starting a web community (forum). My question is will I be ok with a host gator shared business plan (19.95) or do I need to bump it up a few notches to a managed server account ($150)? What does the managment include? Will I need the dedicated server right away or can I start small while building up the website?
Second question is what software should I start off with? Wordpress? pHpBB? or Vbulletin? I know some people recommend starting with just a blog but I'm really looking for a community environment. Thanks for the help a head of time.

Mike

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Hostgator has a good VPS system where you start at a low rate of $19.95 and you can scale up as you need more resources.

VPS Hosting | Linux VPS Servers with cPanel from HostGator

*** be aware that the bottom 2 plans (by price) are unmanaged, so you have to do your own server patching, etc. Best to go up to the $39 plan to start if you don't do the whole Linux tango very well.

go with vBulletin, it is by far the most professional.

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
yeah, what he said, VPS systems, you want the ability to scale. start small, if traffic/resources pick up. you just tell em to increase your cpu/memory/bandwidth and charge accordingly.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.