The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Was hoping for some advice

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

chris9959

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 11, 2013
Hey, I was wondering if i could get some wisdom for you guys. I run a small business from my home, don't really have any mentors or people to get advice from, just me. One of my clients came to me last year to do some work for them, we agreed it was for x amount (which really would've helped me and my family over this period) and to send them the invoice. I sent the payment request and never heard back from them, no replies to a few emails i sent (nothing desperate just a follow up)

My question is this, they just asked me for new different work. my monkey brain is telling me not to reply or to tell them I'm overly busy and cannot fulfil the work at present.

Should i do this? Im thinking if i go ahead and send this new invoice then they are going to do the same again as before, or if i go ahead it makes me look weak (by getting one over previously)

thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
Seems pretty obvious-Have they paid you for the work done at christmas time?

If not, sent an email saying that you can do this work for them upon settling the outstanding debts and that as of Jan 16 as a company policy you are now insisting that all work is carried out with a 50% upfront fee.

As for the other issue and the investors-Well dont they just sound like a complete set of assholes who are unprofessional to the highest degree showing your private emails from other people-My advise is to get rid of these dicks asap as you dont need that crap in your life.

At the end of the day-As MJ says in his book-Dont let other ppl control you by giving them power to control an aspect of your life.

You are better than these jerks so do the sensible thing and sack the investors in and by no means cave in and do this work for these other assholes if they havent even paid you for the last work!

chris9959

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 11, 2013
Thanks for this, much appreciated! I have been trying to distance myself from the investors.

The previous Jan invoice was for payment in advance, which previously they honoured throughout work rendered last year. There was no reply to my mail etc the last time. You would think they would have said, no I'm not going ahead this time due to etc etc. But just the fact they didn't reply and i built my hopes up which i shouldn't have.

I have a good few projects going on at the moment so I'm not dependant on his new work, just don't know what to do really. When i woke this morning to their mail my monkey brain is kicking in to send them I'm sorry i cannot fulfil your request due to ongoing work then i thought id reach out here to kind people such as yourself to see if I'm doing the right thing or not.

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
Thanks for this, much appreciated! I have been trying to distance myself from the investors.

The previous Jan invoice was for payment in advance, which previously they honoured throughout work rendered last year. There was no reply to my mail etc the last time. You would think they would have said, no I'm not going ahead this time due to etc etc. But just the fact they didn't reply and i built my hopes up which i shouldn't have.

I have a good few projects going on at the moment so I'm not dependant on his new work, just don't know what to do really. When i woke this morning to to their mail my monkey brain is kicking in to send them I'm sorry i cannot fulfil your request due to ongoing work then i thought id reach out here to kind people such as yourself to see if I'm doing the right thing or not.
Hi Chris,

I am a little confused-Have they paid you for all the work that you have done for them or is there still a balance outstanding? If there is still an outstanding balance them reply to them saying that you thank them for the potential work but due to the unpaid balance on their account you cannot continue with their request until all outstanding balances have been fully paid up

chris9959

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 11, 2013
Hi Chris,

I am a little confused-Have they paid you for all the work that you have done for them or is there still a balance outstanding? If there is still an outstanding balance them reply to them saying that you thank them for the potential work but due to the unpaid balance on their account you cannot continue with their request until all outstanding balances have been fully paid up

The work involved payment is required in advance. So there is no balance outstanding. They sent me the work and i sent the invoice in order to initiate the work and they didn't pay the invoice or reply.

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
Oh ok I am with you now.

Well theres no harm in responding to their latest request with a price-I know myself that i'd quote ppl for some work and not hear back from them-Hell i've probably been responsible myself for getting a few painting quotes and only going back to the one i go with (bad me!)

So from my point of view, unless you really dont want to do this work for these guys theres no harm in sending a quote and then its up to them if they want to go with you-I'm sure they are getting quotes from other ppl too so its not personal i'd guess

chris9959

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 11, 2013
Thank you, It's not really a quote as they are aware of the fees and this time round too. they previously had prepared the materials and sent them to me to work on which i then confirmed and sent invoice. I also prioritised their work due to connections. They have also sent me the materials this time round too. I think I'm just going to say this time I'm too busy to do it.

Last edited:

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
Thank you, It's not really a quote as they are aware of the fees and this time round too. te previously had prepared the digital materials and sent them to me to work on which i then reviewed, confirmed and sent invoice. I also prioritised their work due to investment connections. They have also sent me the materials this time round too. I think I'm just going to say this time I'm too busy to do it. Also i failed to mention that this person is in a similar business to me and have a suspicion (paranoia maybe) that he was pricing me last time (hence no reply from follow up to his work sent in jan)

also this time round, the first parts of the mail where about invoicing him again, nothing to do with the objective of this work.
Ha well there is also that possibility too-Why outsource something that you can do in house.

As you seem to be doing fine and are not dependant on this for income perhaps you are right in turning them down-Certaintly dont be doing any work as think the investors might like it-get rid of these wasters today if you can!

JoeB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 17, 2014
UK
I don't really understand the problem.

"Hi, yes I can do some work for you. Would you first mind letting me know why you didn't go ahead last time? I'm trying to better manage customer' expectations and satisfaction and your feedback would really help me improve my service."

chris9959

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 11, 2013
I don't really understand the problem.

"Hi, yes I can do some work for you. Would you first mind letting me know why you didn't go ahead last time? I'm trying to better manage customer' expectations and satisfaction and your feedback would really help me improve my service."

I don't have time to dive into it any deeper. Oimate helped me. Thanks anyway for your input..., joE.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.