The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Want more Money? Say you're SORRY!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
http://biz.yahoo.com/hftn/071017/101607_apologize_fortune.html?.v=1&.pf=career-work

As someone who is married, this came as no surprise to me . . .

Too many people see everyday encounters as "Battles".

You may win the battle, but lose the war.

Instead, why not focus on what's important, and work for a positive outcome.

Apologies cost next to nothing (except ego), but can mean a lot.

-Russ H.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Thought about this some more . . .

In business, have you ever apologized for something when you knew it was not your fault?

Why did you do it?

-Russ H.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
http://biz.yahoo.com/hftn/071017/101607_apologize_fortune.html?.v=1&.pf=career-work

As a husband, this came as no surprise to me . . .

Too many people see everyday encounters as "Battles".

You may win the battle, but lose the war.

Instead, why not focus on what's important, and work for a positive outcome.

Apologies cost next to nothing (except ego), but can mean a lot.

-Russ H.

Intresting you say that becasue i hear alot of people i know refer to things as battles, my longtime girlfriend was telling me a few monthes ago about how she was going to start the battle with her insurance company. when she hadnt even talked to them about a not at fault accident. i asked her why she thinks itll be a battle, she said becasue everything is.

I told her thats not the way to get anything accomplished. more thoughts on this later when i can write it out. I think i tell everyone i see or read argueing to focus there energy into something positive and you wont need to argue anymore... seems like a waste of time to me.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
A great trial lawyer once said to me:

"When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail to you."

It taught me a very important lesson on who to choose when you *do* have to fight a battle-- and who to choose when you don't WANT to fight one.

In other words, if you need to fight, hire a warrior.

If you don't want to fight, hire a peacemaker.

-Russ H.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Thought about this some more . . .

In business, have you ever apologized for something when you knew it was not your fault?

Why did you do it?

-Russ H.

Absolutely! A customer says there is a problem downloading a file (when the reason is because they don't know how to run their computer) - we could get all righteous and point out they are an idiot. Or we could say "We're so sorry you had that problem. Our instructions should have been more clear." If it continues on we might even say "As a way of saying we're sorry, here's a discount of XX you can use on your next purchase at our website."

Now, let's go the other way. I've had employees for 16+ years now. NOTHING I hate more than telling someone "This is wrong. I need to have you do it such and so..." and then have them justify (ie...make excuses). I don't need an apology, but if they do give one, that's nice. Otherwise, a "I'll get it done." works great.

The person who wants to debate with me doesn't have a job with me for very long.

"i'm sorry" is cheap and effective. With every debate (or potential one) I ask, "What is the outcome I want here?"

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
this is a standard script for mistakes

Dear Mrs. Client,

Thank you for bringing our mistake to our attention. To err is human to forgive divine. Thank you for being a divine client and forgiving our all too human error. We will use this experience to improve our service to you and to all our clients. As a thank you to you for bringing our error to our attention we have enclosed a certificate for 110% of the amount you paid to use for future services.

Sincerely,

your team at;

When our team members mess up they are to:
Own the problem
Control the outcome (tell us how they will solve the problem)
Put a time limit on the correction of the problem.

If you can get your people to own the problem right away, almost every client will forgive the issue and even praise you for the correction rather than dam you for the problem.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Great thread

I think therein lays the rub: High earners tend to be more secure" and less likely to go on the defensive when challenged or criticized. "They realize when they're wrong and know it won't hurt their career much to apologize."

So someone who had a huge ego (some claim still do lol) I always had to battle the dreaded apologies and sorry's. I just can't do it half of the time -because someone once drilled in my head that saying you are sorry to a girl is the quickest way to make her lose interest.

Now I am a little wiser and have no trouble apologizing if I screwed up. It is a huge step but a very important one - you just feel the weight come off your shoulders afterwards.

I just wish I apologized to my bio teacher in 9th grade when I flipped a tray full of spaghetti and meatballs on her cashmere sweater.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
this is a standard script for mistakes

Dear Mrs. Client,

Thank you for brining our mistake to our attention. To err is human to forgive divine. Thank you for being a divine client and forgiving our all too human error. We will use this experience to improve our service to you and to all our clients. As a thank you to you for bringing our error to our attention we have enclosed a certificate for 110% of the amount you paid to use for future services.

Sincerely,

your team at;

When our team member mess up they are to:
Own the problem
Control the outcome (tell us how they will solve the problem)
Put a time limit on the correction of the problem.

If you can get your people to own the problem right away, almost every client will forgive the issue and even praise you for the correction rather than dam you for the problem.

Nomadjanet, I don't even know what your business is or what you sell - but I've just decided that if I ever need (fill in the blank), I'm coming to your company.

Brilliant.

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
Thank you Diane. We have a couple of businesses but the customer service systems come from our plumbing business & home services business. I wish we had team members in your area, we would love to be your service company.
:)
Janet

DeBorahBeatty

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jan 14, 2008
Pacific Northwest
Oh, yes. More times than I can count. It didn't cost me anything but a little humility, it calmed an upset customer who then went on to buy more stuff now that they'd been heard!

I have also come to the realization that many times, an upset customer isn't upset at me, it's usually something else that has them ready to spit fire to save matches and I just get the toasting because I'm there. Then it doesn't matter if all I do is apologize that the paint on the walls of my shop doesn't match my eyes or something equally as inane and the customer goes away a happy camper.

DeBorah Beatty

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.