• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    How to Get Rich by Felix Denis

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it and let's discuss!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: How to Get Rich, Felix Denis (Review | Discuss)

Want more Money? Say you're SORRY!

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by Russ H, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Russ H

Russ H Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,300
    http://biz.yahoo.com/hftn/071017/101607_apologize_fortune.html?.v=1&.pf=career-work

As someone who is married, this came as no surprise to me . . .

Too many people see everyday encounters as "Battles".

You may win the battle, but lose the war.

Instead, why not focus on what's important, and work for a positive outcome.

Apologies cost next to nothing (except ego), but can mean a lot.

-Russ H.

MJ DeMarco likes this.
  2. Russ H

Rep Bank:
    $2,300
    Thought about this some more . . .

In business, have you ever apologized for something when you knew it was not your fault?

Why did you do it?

-Russ H.

3. LightHouse

LightHouse Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $30,033

Intresting you say that becasue i hear alot of people i know refer to things as battles, my longtime girlfriend was telling me a few monthes ago about how she was going to start the battle with her insurance company. when she hadnt even talked to them about a not at fault accident. i asked her why she thinks itll be a battle, she said becasue everything is.

I told her thats not the way to get anything accomplished. more thoughts on this later when i can write it out. I think i tell everyone i see or read argueing to focus there energy into something positive and you wont need to argue anymore... seems like a waste of time to me.

4. Russ H

Rep Bank:
    $2,300
    A great trial lawyer once said to me:

"When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail to you."

It taught me a very important lesson on who to choose when you *do* have to fight a battle-- and who to choose when you don't WANT to fight one.

In other words, if you need to fight, hire a warrior.

If you don't want to fight, hire a peacemaker.

-Russ H.

5. Diane Kennedy

Diane Kennedy Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $129
    Absolutely! A customer says there is a problem downloading a file (when the reason is because they don't know how to run their computer) - we could get all righteous and point out they are an idiot. Or we could say "We're so sorry you had that problem. Our instructions should have been more clear." If it continues on we might even say "As a way of saying we're sorry, here's a discount of XX you can use on your next purchase at our website."

Now, let's go the other way. I've had employees for 16+ years now. NOTHING I hate more than telling someone "This is wrong. I need to have you do it such and so..." and then have them justify (ie...make excuses). I don't need an apology, but if they do give one, that's nice. Otherwise, a "I'll get it done." works great.

The person who wants to debate with me doesn't have a job with me for very long.

"i'm sorry" is cheap and effective. With every debate (or potential one) I ask, "What is the outcome I want here?"

6. nomadjanet

nomadjanet Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $187
    this is a standard script for mistakes

Dear Mrs. Client,

Thank you for bringing our mistake to our attention. To err is human to forgive divine. Thank you for being a divine client and forgiving our all too human error. We will use this experience to improve our service to you and to all our clients. As a thank you to you for bringing our error to our attention we have enclosed a certificate for 110% of the amount you paid to use for future services.

Sincerely,

your team at;

When our team members mess up they are to:
    Own the problem
    Control the outcome (tell us how they will solve the problem)
    Put a time limit on the correction of the problem.

If you can get your people to own the problem right away, almost every client will forgive the issue and even praise you for the correction rather than dam you for the problem.

andviv likes this.
  7. Rawr

Rawr Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,523
    Great thread

I think therein lays the rub: High earners tend to be more secure" and less likely to go on the defensive when challenged or criticized. "They realize when they're wrong and know it won't hurt their career much to apologize."

So someone who had a huge ego (some claim still do lol) I always had to battle the dreaded apologies and sorry's. I just can't do it half of the time -because someone once drilled in my head that saying you are sorry to a girl is the quickest way to make her lose interest.

Now I am a little wiser and have no trouble apologizing if I screwed up. It is a huge step but a very important one - you just feel the weight come off your shoulders afterwards.

I just wish I apologized to my bio teacher in 9th grade when I flipped a tray full of spaghetti and meatballs on her cashmere sweater.

8. Diane Kennedy

Diane Kennedy Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $129
    Nomadjanet, I don't even know what your business is or what you sell - but I've just decided that if I ever need (fill in the blank), I'm coming to your company.

Brilliant.

9. nomadjanet

nomadjanet Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $187
    Thank you Diane. We have a couple of businesses but the customer service systems come from our plumbing business & home services business. I wish we had team members in your area, we would love to be your service company.
    :)
    Janet

10. DeBorahBeatty

DeBorahBeatty New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $0
    Oh, yes. More times than I can count. It didn't cost me anything but a little humility, it calmed an upset customer who then went on to buy more stuff now that they'd been heard!

I have also come to the realization that many times, an upset customer isn't upset at me, it's usually something else that has them ready to spit fire to save matches and I just get the toasting because I'm there. Then it doesn't matter if all I do is apologize that the paint on the walls of my shop doesn't match my eyes or something equally as inane and the customer goes away a happy camper.

DeBorah Beatty

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.