The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

VR Virtual Reality: What is Your Opinion on Timing?

HabitsCampaigner

Jim Miotke
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 6, 2021
Monterey, CA
Is the wave finally arriving? Is it too niche / not enough people doing it, and needing a solution/entertainment? I’ve seen some threads on enterprise and such but wanted to ask: do you know of any stories or research resources to gauge current market?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
Is the wave finally arriving? Is it too niche / not enough people doing it, and needing a solution/entertainment? I’ve seen some threads on enterprise and such but wanted to ask: do you know of any stories or research resources to gauge current market?

Are people still buying VR headsets? Yes, of course.

It's a completely valid and large enough niche one could make a profit in as long as they provide a valuable product or service.

I'd also look into AR and XR as well.

As for resources, I'd try engage in a VR community. Ideally one that best would suit what you are trying to accomplish. So if you want to make a game/experience, join a VR design/developer community. If you want to design a more comfortable headband, join a product design/development community.

backslash

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jul 3, 2018
Norway
Sometimes great technology struggle, but I am a believer after I tested the Oculus Quest 2 out of curiosity. The games are pretty good, responsive and fun. Stuff like a boxing game was actually quite good exercise. A ping pong game was surprisingly accurate. I don't do regular computer games, but games that doubles down as workouts is a pretty good use case.

After the head sets became wireless the main problem with VR adoption is actually the requirement of open space in your home. Sometimes up to 20 sqare meters are required by some games.

As for more good news all new phones are shipped with at least AR capabilities nowadays.

The Web browsers also have got their set of native XR (both VR and AR) capabilities.

Last edited:

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
It's the future. The implementation isn't quite there yet, but in the coming years people are going to be seeking refuge from the dystopia of the real world, in pristine virtual ones.

Spikeroo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
There is a market. I started a little side hustle about 2 years ago brining my VR setup to a few different friends house, and grand openings. VR setups powered by a PC are 10x better than one simply for an xbox or Ps5. People love watching their friends and family squirm and getting into a bar fights etc. I'm currently working on a very high quality Racing VR setup that I can make mobile. Its also good for people to try out the systems before they buy it, since VR systems can be expensive, it can be a huge waste if you constantly get motion sickness from playing on it. So its good to get a feel before dropping the money.

As far as timing, it will hit a brick wall eventually. Until it can tap into your nervous system like the movies Avatar or Ready Player One, it will only be something enjoyed for a few days, not something that people will play each day.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Tech isn't quite there yet but well on its way.

The occulus quest 2 is a good demonstration of consumer-ready high-grade hardware. By producing and distributing in mass, Facebook can afford to make these otherwise cost prohibitive headsets at scale.

Unfortunately NONE of the AR/VR implementations I've tried are worth a damn - namely because we still haven't gotten the "screen over your eyes" design without fatal ergonomic design principles.

These front heavy headsets introduce a tremendous level of pain in the body and I haven't found anybody that addresses this.

Maybe the way you make a killing in this space is you come up with novel designs for distributing this weight throughout your body somehow, instead of subjecting your neck to ridiculous strain.

HabitsCampaigner

Jim Miotke
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 6, 2021
Monterey, CA
As for resources, I'd try engage in a VR community.
Funny thing about this @Devampre in the beginning I was searching for a great community and then even thought, since I know websites, I would build a community. Then I realized the most active VR communities are in VR itself.

@Spikeroo and @AceVentures I agree that there is potential and problems. The VR exercise app I use is awesome (SuperNatural). The Tetris is a good mediation. Games like Moss are incredibly impressive. I would likely go into that because I have zero domain experience in physical engineering. But I agree that the headset is terribly uncomfortable. For a while I weighted the back with a power thing (ballast) but then I spent another $30 for a headband that tightens better. Still a long way. And the VR Chat and Horizon (Facebook) are a far cry from even a beginning of Ready Player One kind of stuff, but I still find the whole thing so impressive I keep an interest.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.