The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Voice AI to replace websites?

Jav100

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jun 20, 2016
I do not own a voice AI assistant like Alexa yet but noticed they can do many things would replace the need to visit a webpage which could be very bad for those working on content websites who rely on Adsense or affiliate revenue.

For example, a common task that is included with marketing Alexa is its ability to tell you a recipe for cooking something.

If you can just ask Alexa what the recipe is for chocolate chip cookies, what's the need to visit the website and wouldn't it then bypass all advertising - how do the content creators ensure they are being paid?

Does Alexa verbally advertise items like the radio? I have no experience with it so forgive me if I am missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Some tasks will be passed off to the AI, like reading recipes - but if you need to go back to the 3rd ingredient... was that a dash of salt or a dash of sugar.... then you'll need the actual text.

We're years away from AI that's more than 4 or 5 year old intelligence level. Even then, I doubt they will replace the traditional web. There's simply too much at stake. Forget the content creators, Google makes virtually all its revenue from advertising. Since they have the most prolific artificial assistant on the planet, you can bet they're not going to let the traditional web go very easily.

Readerly

Yes and
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Sep 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Some tasks will be passed off to the AI, like reading recipes - but if you need to go back to the 3rd ingredient... was that a dash of salt or a dash of sugar.... then you'll need the actual text.

We're years away from AI that's more than 4 or 5 year old intelligence level. Even then, I doubt they will replace the traditional web. There's simply too much at stake. Forget the content creators, Google makes virtually all its revenue from advertising. Since they have the most prolific artificial assistant on the planet, you can bet they're not going to let the traditional web go very easily.

Agreed. Voice AI won't replace the web. It'll simply be one more--prominent--option in the ecosystem. Have books completely disappeared?

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Voice is a great form of communication but only tremendously useful in very limited scopes.

Examples:

Weather

- If you want to know the weather right now, it's perfect.
- If you want to know what the weather will look like for the next 7 days on an hourly scale with chance of precipitation overlaid, well now you need a visual graph

News

- If you want the 5 most important headlines, cool.
- If you want to scan through the day's news and pick and choose quickly what you want to earmark for later, read now, skim through, etc... well now you need a website or newspaper or other graphical interface

Books

- Having a story read to you is great
- Researching or reviewing a reference book is not

Social

- Your best friend's tweets for the last 17 minutes? Cool.
- Your morning's newsfeed of all your friends, likes, responses, photos and videos? Less so.

Right now voice is coming into it's on in spaces that makes sense - very simple, short, and sweet nuggets. Playing a song, reading a headline, reading stories, GPS, traffic, giving you the weather, ordering simple common things, etc...

It will never replace visual forms of communication simply because not everything works well with voice.

(Not to mention the psychological addiction triggers that voice alone can't offer)

Jav100

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jun 20, 2016
Well as someone who has created content websites the responses are reassuring.

I suppose more framework could be created to allow the voice AI to be a bit more intelligent but I agree it's definitely going to take time.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Jav100

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jun 20, 2016
I think for receiving information that does not need visuals audio is going to be huge. I spend 12+ hours in front of the screen and am happy to take a break. Plus audio allows you to multitask easier. I.e. Podcast/voice ai while driving

letter9

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Oct 31, 2015

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Huh.

I'm not as optimistic about it as Gary, and still say voice will continue to be used in pretty strict and focused capacities in any kind of wide-spread way, but I do agree there is huge opportunity there within those capacities.

Maybe I'm just getting to be an old fart set in his ways but I really see zero appeal in talking to my devices. I've even turned off voice abilities on my phone since I don't see it as more convenient than other options (yet).

But hell - like all great leaps forward it only seems stupid and inconvenient until someone nails the execution.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.