The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Visionaries...

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
that word may be a little strong for what im going to write but its all I could think to call this lol...

I can remember back when I was about 16 yrs old my bf at the times brother was talking about mobile(cell) phones...

they werent around back then like they are today. Im talking like 93-94ish...they were around but attached to your car or a briefcase lol...

he was talking about how he wished he could get enough money to invest in the phone satelites because these mobile phones were becoming more and more popular and he only seen them getting bigger. His thought was that theres only so many satelites up there and theyd eventually run out of space and then the value to anyone owning space on the satelites would be enourmous...

we all thought he was crazy.

now Im not so sure...

I find myself years later wanting to go find him and see whats in his head today!

also my dad.

when cable tv first came out in the late 70's early 80's he told my mom. yeah its real cheap now because they are getting everyone used to paying for something they are used to getting for free. mark my words Sue in a few years well be paying out the @$$ for this.

it used to cost under 10bucks a month for everything hbo and all.. now if you want decent cable its going to run you over 100bucks a month!

anyone else with stories like these?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here is my visionary take ...

About the height of Napster (back when it was doing it illegally) I predicted that video stores would cease to exist in 10 years as movies will be bought and downloaded directly off the internet, just like music. I can't remember the last time I bought a music CD. Movies are the next victim and the stores that stock em will go bye-bye.

Paper newspapers will also die in 5 years. In 10 years, I see the same for magazines. Instead, we will have compact digital readers that will receive digital transmissions of daily content via wireless. When you buy a magazine, you will buy a digital chip, install it into your reader, and voila, you have the magazine. Everyone will have a digital reader much like most everyone has cells. Since the GREEN movement is picking up steam, I suspect this will happen sooner than later as Digital Readers replace paper saving the forestry needed to produce it.

SnyCorp

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Oct 30, 2007
Helena, MT

About the height of Napster (back when it was doing it illegally) I predicted that video stores would cease to exist in 10 years as movies will be bought and downloaded directly off the internet, just like music. I can't remember the last time I bought a music CD. Movies are the next victim and the stores that stock em will go bye-bye.

NetFlix has of course done the above already, But to me the coolest is the new AppleTv.
Just like the Ipod you order movies, music videos, or arrange family pictures to music. All in one cool contraption. :banana: The world we live in is changing everyday!!!!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
NetFlix has of course done the above already, But to me the coolest is the new AppleTv.
Just like the Ipod you order movies, music videos, or arrange family pictures to music. All in one cool contraption. :banana: The world we live in is changing everyday!!!!

I understand that, but video stores still exist and wont in a few years. When I made mention of this years ago, NetFlix didn't exist nor did movie downloads.

SnyCorp

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Oct 30, 2007
Helena, MT
I understand that, but video stores still exist and wont in a few years. When I made mention of this years ago, NetFlix didn't exist nor did movie downloads.

I don't disagree, I was merely showing how right you are.:iagree:

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina

Paper newspapers will also die in 5 years. In 10 years, I see the same for magazines. Instead, we will have compact digital readers that will receive digital transmissions of daily content via wireless. When you buy a magazine, you will buy a digital chip, install it into your reader, and voila, you have the magazine. Everyone will have a digital reader much like most everyone has cells. Since the GREEN movement is picking up steam, I suspect this will happen sooner than later as Digital Readers replace paper saving the forestry needed to produce it.

Check this: http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/19/amazon-kindle-available-now-on-amazon/ :thumbsup:

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Jorge beat me to it, MJ you are close but it is even easier than you think. Why bother with a chip when all you do is download directly to the device via internet. :)

Newspapers - it is not a solid yes or no here because a lot of people enjoy the feel of the newspaper and the process of going through it.

What I like about kindle is that it doesnt tire your eyes - that is a huge plus for me, I have too many ebooks to read them on PC, but I will gladly read them on this.

I am going to predict doom for humanity in 2012 FTW

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Yeah but the problem is that it doesnt have wifi, so people like me outside US can't use it :(

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Are you sure it doesn't have wifi? I could have sworn it did

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
AFAIK it relies on EVDO for downloading the ebooks. However amazon pays for the connection so you won't have monthly expenses. Result: Only works in the US for the moment, where Amazon has a deal with Sprint.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I think newspapers and magazines will continue to exist until somebody comes up with a way to take them conveniently to the 'classroom' at 'Toilet University'....

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
I think magazines will continue to exist. People just like to hold paper magazines and flip through them and look at the glossy photographs and so forth, something you can't get if the magazine is in a totally digital form.

I think that music stores and DVDs and such will start to become more obsolete though.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.