The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Vigilante's "Mind Your Business" Radio Show

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
We are six weeks in and we are the number one rated podcast on the Twin Cities affiliate of Clear Channel Communications. We are in the process of greatly expanding distribution with iTunes and Android platforms added in the last two weeks. We are in the hunt right now for sponsors that will unlock some resources for national "syndication" and expanded resources.

As it pertains to the name, we are playing to win. So, ultimately the name won't cause any confusion because we are going to be the dominant player in new media in entrepreneurial content. However, on iTunes we did intentionally select the "training" category because it will be easier to rise to the number one position then other categories where there are existing,long-standing entrenched players. Since were pretty much taking egotistical approach that we can do whatever the hell we want, we are going to "own" the name.

KLaw I didn't see your question earlier, but now reading your responses I don't give a F*ck. I'm not a chimp that responds by clapping when you insert a quarter. There's a reason our producer has chosen to end every episode with the song that he has.

We've had several thousand downloads to date but need several thousand more in order to secure the national sponsors we want. However, six episodes in, we have greatly exceeded Clear Channel's expectations.

Next weeks show is going to be pretty raw. No guests, and heavy content. A few people from here on the forum asked for a discussion on how to battle through adversity. Next week show is going to be about as real as it gets…as I am going to take you into the depths of my personal journey to the darkest of days. If you've ever felt like you can't go on, like life has given you the short end of the stick, or if you're at rock bottom and don't know how to move forward… Please listen to the show next week. You're going to hear the story that I've never spoken about publicly before. I'm going to take you directly into the worst day of my life, and show you how to emerge from the ashes.

For anybody that thinks that I am doing this show for myself, please don't listen next week. With what I'm about to do, haters aren't invited to this raw discussion. I am going to this personal and emotional place purely for the benefit of the downtrodden, the frustrated, and the hopeless to show you that there is hope. You guys ask me for a segment on how to persevere, and I am to give you more honesty then you asked for.

Talk with you all next Saturday…wish me luck. Not an easy topic.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Good luck with next weeks show, I love genuine raw content and was hoping you'd take the show in this direction.

Thanks for clarifying about the name, it makes perfect sense and I've no doubt you'll OWN it.

Apologies for the part I played in derailing this thread earlier.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ExecutionisKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 3, 2014
MI
Enjoyed the show. Lots of tips that are good reminders on patience, hardwork, being 100% in, perserverance, etc from all the owners.
Good reminder from Jason (gym owner) on trade-offs between the business and the family. That's one reason I'm determined (and trying to stay that way) not to marry until I've gone through the typically toughest phase (start) of a business; I want to be able to be all in with no apologies.

Certainly not all (yet) fastlane businesses, and company's like Steve's that have been going for 33 years aren't exactly going to be acquired and give him control of his time, but it's an admirable think to run a small business successfully for so long.

Really, though, the summary all comes down to what Rachel said at the end, "a small business doesn't come wrapped up neatly with a bow."
Every big business started off small, and small business owner who've succeeded have many of the same tips to give.
Beware sidewalkers!! Don't start a business in your current (mental) state!

We are six weeks in and we are the number one rated podcast on the Twin Cities affiliate of Clear Channel Communications.

However, on iTunes we did intentionally select the "training" category because it will be easier to rise to the number one position then other categories where there are existing,long-standing entrenched players. Since were pretty much taking egotistical approach that we can do whatever the hell we want, we are going to "own" the name.

We've had several thousand downloads to date but need several thousand more in order to secure the national sponsors we want. However, six episodes in, we have greatly exceeded Clear Channel's expectations.

Awesome, glad to hear it! Wondered about the "training" category as well initially when I went on to give a review. Didn't have the link handy and couldn't find it at all under the categorie(s) I first thought it'd be in. ;)
Are downloads what count for you or page views? I've listened to all the shows, but haven't downloaded any. I certainly will if that helps though. Could probably put them on my phone to listen to again, though I take (imo) excellent notes.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
We don't need anything, EK. Thanks for the offer though, and I am glad you are enjoying the content. If you haven't left us a review on iTunes, I would love it if you would.

Agree that the entrepreneurs we interviewed this weekend all share a relatively common fast lane violation, in that they haven't separated their income from their time. It's one of the biggest traps of any physical location or service-based business. It requires man hours, and usually when you are the owner, those hours are yours. Time is the one commodity you can't get back. I zealously guard my time. When I sold my retail store(s) in the Minneapolis area, it was because they were a huge time suck. Employees can't and don't run things the way you would... and even then it requires a great deal of time to manage the employees, the processes, and the daily grind of owning a physical business or a business in the services industry.

Now all of them at some point conceivably could cash out... a few of them have already had offers to do so. So, you can build a physical business and have a cash out exit strategy, but it's a long road.

10690287_636526479791793_7256321977827703874_n.jpg

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Havent gotten around to listening to a single episode :(
Sounds great though, will try to catch up in the next weeks!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
We're getting ready to lay down the audio for Saturday's podcast. I am organizing my thoughts onto paper. The only reason I am doing this is for someone else who is broken and needs hope. I am going to read a fair amount of it so I don't get lost in the emotion.

It's very personal. It takes me back into a very dark window of time. I am not sure I want to go there again, but I am also thinking after all these years it might be therapeutic. So, we'll do it.

If you want a polished, professional entertainer, don't listen on Saturday. That ain't me. If you want a glimpse into the catalyst for my current success, then you have to peer into the dark hole that I started from in order to understand it.

You can hear it Saturday. Bits and pieces of it have been shared on the forum, but I have never talked about this publicly before.

So... here we go. If one single person out there can be lifted up by realizing you can crash and burn and survive... it will have been worth it. I will talk with you all on Saturday.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
We're getting ready to lay down the audio for Saturday's podcast. I am organizing my thoughts onto paper. The only reason I am doing this is for someone else who is broken and needs hope. I am going to read a fair amount of it so I don't get lost in the emotion.

It's very personal. It takes me back into a very dark window of time. I am not sure I want to go there again, but I am also thinking after all these years it might be therapeutic. So, we'll do it.

If you want a polished, professional entertainer, don't listen on Saturday. That ain't me. If you want a glimpse into the catalyst for my current success, then you have to peer into the dark hole that I started from in order to understand it.

You can hear it Saturday. Bits and pieces of it have been shared on the forum, but I have never talked about this publicly before.

So... here we go. If one single person out there can be lifted up by realizing you can crash and burn and survive... it will have been worth it. I will talk with you all on Saturday.

I'd be shocked if this next one doesn't hit home to just about everyone. I know it will hit Autumn and I. Very easy to get lost out there.

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA

I'm super excited for the next episode.

I've been to the very bottom before and its a nasty place. Almost committed suicide multiple times.

I still remember the day when I said to myself "I give up". My peripheral nervous system literately shut off. I couldn't even function as a normal human being which lead to a downward spiral and eventually depression.

I couldn't even step outside of the house, let alone go to a grocery store.

Lost all my friends.

I destroyed my chances of getting a college degree and a successful job.

My parents who immigrated from Vietnam to the U.S, came here to give me an opportunity, a chance at life..... and I blew it.

Everyday we struggle. My dad works at a supermarket and my mom is unemployed.

We are living from paycheck to paycheck with welfare at the moment.

Fast forward 4 years later, we are still in the same situation.

The only difference now is I've downloaded over 100+ books into my brain, I am more self aware and I am on this forum. I literally had to relearn how to talk to people, take action and do what normal people do. Even till this day, I still feel like a f*cked up person who is all twitchy because of my traumatic past. I will probably never be normal.

Right now I have a fire lit under my a$$. Failure is not an option. I have no choice. I never want to go back down there again.

Still trying to crawl my way back up.

Inch by inch.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I'm super excited for the next episode.

I've been to the very bottom before and its a nasty place. Almost committed suicide multiple times.

I still remember the day when I said to myself "I give up". My peripheral nervous system literately shut off. I couldn't even function as a normal human being which lead to a downward spiral and eventually depression.

I couldn't even step outside of the house, let alone go to a grocery store.

Lost all my friends.

I destroyed my chances of getting a college degree and a successful job.

My parents who immigrated from Vietnam to the U.S, came here to give me an opportunity, a chance at life..... and I blew it.

Everyday we struggle. My dad works at a supermarket and my mom is unemployed.

We are living from paycheck to paycheck with welfare at the moment.

Fast forward 4 years later, we are still in the same situation.

The only difference now is I've downloaded over 100+ books into my brain, I am more self aware and I am on this forum. I literally had to relearn how to talk to people, take action and do what normal people do. Even till this day, I still feel like a f*cked up person who is all twitchy because of my traumatic past. I will probably never be normal.

Right now I have a fire lit under my a$$. Failure is not an option. I have no choice. I never want to go back down there again.

Still trying to crawl my way back up.

Inch by Inch.

In my earliest days here at the forum… One of the verses from this song was my signature.

I am going to use it as the song that we close the show with on Saturday. You'll understand in-depth after you listen to my story.

I hope someday that the song represents your come back like it does mine. You can make it and will be stronger for everything you brought you here and through the fire.

Listen to this song… Specifically the verse at 2:50. That's the portion we will use to close the show with on Saturday.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
10599486_638401286270979_2355115351271148626_n.jpg

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Fortunately for me it has a happy ending. It can for you too… You just have to bust your a$$ and start from today.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Vigi, your story was really touching. Some manly tears were wiped. Props to you for staying strong throughout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrensonMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 13, 2014
Texas
First episode I tuned in to was Vigilante's personnel story. Pretty powerful stuff and definitely a kick in the a$$ to anyone that thinks they can't go on.

ExecutionisKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 3, 2014
MI
Heck of a show, especially hearing about everything you went through. I see a connection between the definition of your screen name, your current business and your life experience..? At least in the sense of starting from the bottom of the mountain, your recovery reminds me of JPDejoria in his early days being homeless and living in his car when he was building his business.

I could hear and feel the pain you were forcing yourself to recall and relive, so that we could learn from it and be motivated by it. Thank you for doing that. A few phrases you said that really stuck with me: (heard this one, but still) “You have to want success more than you want to breathe.” How many people want success from that view of it..?

This line- “stripped bare, left at the bottom of the mountain flat on my back intentionally wounded but not killed. That’s the biggest mistake they made. They didn’t kill me. They couldn’t kill me. And they can’t kill you either.” That seriously needs to be in a war movie.
"When you realize you can survive some of the worst falls in life, you lose your fear. Of everything. You have to be able to take risks and climb mountains." That's the process everyone wants to skip (imo). The buyout's what has all the sidewalkers and slowlaners salivating and demanding “tax the rich!!”

On the college debate, you both have some good points, though your vocational suggestion that totally threw me off (and cracked me up) was an elevator installer.
Agree on the dislike of a blanket statement of “go to college,” when so many people drop out, don’t do what they studied, never needed a degree to begin with, etc. It ALL depends on your plans for your life. I like your “go if you have a quantifiable college necessary goal” statement.

My plans had always necessitated a degree. Didn’t read TMF ‘till 2nd semester Soph year and I didn’t want to “quit” on the spot, as I only saw that as an “event,” since I had no real plan/process for creating my own wealth at the time.
While many here will dispute this, I feel like I’ve seen value in my “Business” degree.
If it was 100k, not as much, sure. Going to graduate darn near debt free, so I’ll see in a few years… (speaking of a few years, that pay-it-forward program ticked me off as soon as I saw it recently...lol).

To Rachel’s point about the dropouts on Forbes being 1/1m: someone who’s too lazy to do college work/just wants to party probably isn’t going anywhere, but those people for whom college was a bottleneck to their learning… often are successful, w/examples Dave mentioned.

On the college grads, we should consider WHERE!!?? on Forbes list are the employees who graduated and worked for 40 years on Forbes list?
We're missing the millions of millionaires if the “save your income and invest” guru advice was true. Like every retiree coming off of a long career...

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take, so when you give up on time, scale and control in your life (by giving up on starting a business, or not getting back up after you’ve been knocked down), you can kiss your dreams goodbye.

Great show. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013

Gruby Phil

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Dec 12, 2011
Poland
Just listened to the last episode (my favourite so far). Incredible, touching story Vig. I know what it means to be at the bottom but I can only imagine what it was like for you with your family. I've already had a huge respect for you from all the helpful posts on this forum. After hearing all this though.... I am speechless. Thank you for sharing the story, I whish you and Rachel all the best with the show.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Loved how you pressed Rachel on the "pay it later" tuition program. "If you don't succeed and earn money, then who pays?" The problem with a lot of these programs that sounds so great in theory, is that when you examine them against likely scenarios and outcomes, that being, I have a 4 year degree and refuse to work, or work and make $5,000/year, then who paid for my 5 year education? Oh yea, those who are working.

Also the infamous "integration clause" -- do you have an example of exactly what that looks or sounds like? I'm sure such a powerful clause or a trojan horse would be carefully hidden.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Last edited by a moderator:

Hooked

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jan 11, 2013
Great podcast Vig! Liked on FB and started listening. Thanks for the wealth of info

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Thank you for all of your comments.

We are in the hunt for a sponsor in order to be able to syndicate the show to reach the maximum amount of listeners nationwide. Obviously we are nationwide already, but some of the things we want to do with the show require money and sponsorships.

Hopefully we will find a sponsor, because reach/scale is the primary reason that we are interested in doing this.

We are going to do a few more episodes, including the highest ranking entrepreneurial executive from the small business administration coming on with us in two weeks… Will then probably take a break for a couple weeks through the holidays and focus on securing a sponsor so that the show can secure paid promotion to reach higher penetration national scale.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I didn't know what to get you all for Christmas, along with the 1500+ Facebook fans that have friended us since the first show.

So... we created for you the ♫ Twelve Days of Mind Your Business Chrismas ♫

It will be released on Saturday, making it's debut at the end of the Mind Your Business episode and then immediately available on YouTube.

When it goes viral, you will know that you personally were one of the people it was created for. Happy F'in holidays to all.

1932310_642288772548897_1486668308764702048_n.png

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
I just listened to the show on college and overcoming setbacks. WOW, this was my favorite one yet! About the second part, where you discuss your personal story, that was some powerful, moving stuff, and as a listener, I'm glad you shared that. I think it will really resonate with just about everyone in the audience, because we've all experienced setbacks, although probably not as dramatic as what happened to you. The one thing that I would've loved to hear more of, as a followup, was a very brief recap of where you are now, X years later. Because there you were, with everything gone and a ton of obligations that still remained, and not only did you survive, you thrived. I know you've mentioned some of your successes in previous shows, but I think that would've been a great follow-on to say, "...and here's where I am now..." But of course, that only means that as an audience member, I'm greedy for more. This is a good thing!

About the college debate, that was really thought-provoking too. I liked how you and Rachel came at it from different sides, and the spirited debate about the Michigan college-funding plan was awesome. I, too, was glad you challenged Rachel on who will pay for it. I'm sure it's no surprise that I personally find those kind of programs scary for all kinds of reasons. For one, I can see where that program would really encourage young people to get degrees that are ultimately unprofitable because the risk isn't assumed by them, but rather the tax payer.

Great stuff!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio