The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Videogame startup idea help

Idea threads
D

Deleted93030

Hello how can I raise some money without leaving equity, my goal is to raise money to build a demo(pay a designer an artist and programmers and a place to work or remote) and then find a publisher to finance the rest of the project, I'm from Spain thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Branko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Mar 30, 2021
My goal is not leave any equity of the company only share the revenue with the publisher, how can I find a business loan maybe
I would go to the end users. Who will play your game? Is there a way you could get them interested? Crowdsourcing by the players. In turn they get to have free perks, upgrades, Beta gameplay test...

Here is an example. This game has an affiliate program for social media influencers, and you can also join as a paid member, to get to enjoy the games development and growth in the Beta stage.

Now a days even kids have creditcards, and videogame spending budgets, lol.

Figure out a way, not to need an investor and reliquish control over the development and direction of your project.

Alternatively you could find a partner, who is as intereested and passionate about this as you.

Also, I don't know what skills you have, but build as much of the base yourself, so as to avoid unhealty levels of expense.

Whatever you do, talk to your target audience. Just make a skeleton version of your game, and get feedback. Don't invest time and money into something that will never get off the ground.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your project. You are very brave to step into game development as an indie guy.

D

Deleted93030

I would go to the end users. Who will play your game? Is there a way you could get them interested? Crowdsourcing by the players. In turn they get to have free perks, upgrades, Beta gameplay test...

Here is an example. This game has an affiliate program for social media influencers, and you can also join as a paid member, to get to enjoy the games development and growth in the Beta stage.

Now a days even kids have creditcards, and videogame spending budgets, lol.

Figure out a way, not to need an investor and reliquish control over the development and direction of your project.

Alternatively you could find a partner, who is as intereested and passionate about this as you.

Also, I don't know what skills you have, but build as much of the base yourself, so as to avoid unhealty levels of expense.

Whatever you do, talk to your target audience. Just make a skeleton version of your game, and get feedback. Don't invest time and money into something that will never get off the ground.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your project. You are very brave to step into game development as an indie guy.
thanks brother, I have thought about leave this part of the adversiting to the publisher, what do you think of a isometric battle royale by habilities, what do you think?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Games are highly speculative, cash-eating monstrosities. I would say they normally do not meet CENTS.

If you want to make a game, do it without expecting money. Make sure to market the hell out of it and get feedback from people that want to play it.

If you want people to like it, change things to suit what the players want, not what you want.

This can be a viable product obviously but it’s kind of like hitting the jackpot. You really have to identify the Need and start selling with Scale as early as possible.

Try not to spend a bunch of money on this game before you have some traction and proof of demand. Unless you have deep pockets or course.

And remember, nobody is going to give you money for just an “idea.” They want to see something that’s real and that is already good.

Your main problem will be Entry: because just about everyone wants to make a video game, and just about anyone can (go look at the App Store and check out Steam. Thousands of games exist that are steaming turds).

Time is a problem too, in the beginning, because you will spend an INSANE amount of time programming and doing art with zero income, and you won’t know if or when you will make your money back.

That is why video games are more speculative than other types of businesses where the customers are already lined up waiting for someone to give them what they need.

Last edited by a moderator:

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Hello how can I raise some money without leaving equity, my goal is to raise money to build a demo(pay a designer an artist and programmers and a place to work or remote) and then find a publisher to finance the rest of the project, I'm from Spain thanks.

No one sane will give you a loan based on a game idea, doesn't matter what the idea is. Either convince developers to partner with you, convince players to crowdfund you, or build a vertical slice yourself and use it to get a publisher.

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 8, 2019

Sounds like you want to play the managing role. Do you even have experience in managing smaller video game projects?

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I've seen money raised for games on kickstarter, maybe something to look at.

D

Deleted93030

Games are highly speculative, cash-eating monstrosities. I would say they normally do not meet CENTS.

If you want to make a game, do it without expecting money. Make sure to market the hell out of it and get feedback from people that want to play it.

If you want people to like it, change things to suit what the players want, not what you want.

This can be a viable product obviously but it’s kind of like hitting the jackpot. You really have to identify the Need and start selling with Scale as early as possible.

Try not to spend a bunch of money on this game before you have some traction and proof of demand. Unless you have deep pockets or course.

And remember, nobody is going to give you money for just an “idea.” They want to see something that’s real and that is already good.
Successful games are extremely lucrative roller coaster tyccon costed few bucks to produce and grossed millions per example

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
I think that it's kind of difficult to achieve what you want. Raise money in a Startup with some traction is something very difficult for some people, for a project that you don't started, I guess is worst.

Probably you are going to need to leave some equity with a partner. A loan for an Idea is kind of impossible.

Other options are work and saved money to fund the project, or learn how to program and design and start the project alone, at least you'll have something to show.

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Successful games are extremely lucrative roller coaster tyccon costed few bucks to produce and grossed millions per example
Yeah, if you don't count the thousands of hours Chris Sawyer spent programming it in assembly as a cost to produce...

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Maybe I'm not understanding what you are asking for, from what I understand crowdsourcing like Kickstarter.com is the answer to what you want.

1. You put up your game idea with the budget you need to complete the project.
2. You give different rewards based on the level of funding different people give. ie:$10 funding gets a shirt, $50 gets a copy of the finished game etc.. etc..
3. If enough people like your idea and believe you can execute based on what you have posted you will get your game funded or over funded.
4. You take the money and start/complete your game.
5. You give out all the rewards people are due.
6. You are left with full ownership of the game and no debt, no loan nothing.

Here is an example of a game that is over funded.

D

Deleted93030

Maybe I'm not understanding what you are asking for, from what I understand crowdsourcing like Kickstarter.com is the answer to what you want.

1. You put up your game idea with the budget you need to complete the project.
2. You give different rewards based on the level of funding different people give. ie:$10 funding gets a shirt, $50 gets a copy of the finished game etc.. etc..
3. If enough people like your idea and believe you can execute based on what you have posted you will get your game funded or over funded.
4. You take the money and start/complete your game.
5. You give out all the rewards people are due.
6. You are left with full ownership of the game and no debt, no loan nothing.

Here is an example of a game that is over funded.

What do you think about building a fast demo in a few weeks and then ask publishers for financing?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.