The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Value of rereading certain books

wordwarrior

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 16, 2019
Montreal, Canada
i know some of you have mentioned that you’ve reread one or both of MJ’s books.

This brings up a larger question: Is it worth it to reread the few very best books you’ve read? If you’ve done so, what were the benefits?

Given the need to have a bias for action and not fall into the book consumer trap, I’m skeptical but still open to the idea.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
Excellent question (s).

Have you reread any book (s)? What are your feelings about it?

I can see you are also the owner of the speedreading thread.

I have been rereading e.g. How to WIN FRIENDS and INFLUENCE PEOPLE several times in a short period of time. And I can definitely say it has its effect on me. And every time you come back to a book, or even a movie, you see another meaning, more meaning too.

I would say it's twofold. One is comprehension(see * below). The second one is the more you experience, the different actions will have a different meaning for you. As I wrote above. A book read ten years ago may mean something completely different for you than today.

*Reading, or what we are taught at schools, which is referred to as reading. It looks like it can be done better. What is the purpose of reading? In short? My purpose is to learn and improve. And school way of reading is retarded. You don't need to comprehend every space, letter, comma and digit from every book to know what it is about and be 'richer' with this knowledge.

PS If someone tells you, you don't need to read that much. Well, maybe he doesn't but try for yourself. In my opinion, the more you read / learn the better. Not the opposite...

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Rereading a good book gives me a feeling similar of playing a song on the guitar.

Sure it just tickles my fancy, but isn’t that what it’s all about?

Martin Boeddeker

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jun 5, 2018
Paderborn, Deutschland
It's one of the best things you can do. Focus on the best books and reread them often, especially if it's nonfiction.

The fundamentals never change.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
I think it works to some extent, because everytime you open a new book you are a new person based on your real life experiences and new perspectives. That being said, I do not think it is wise to re-read a large quantity of books, I have heard for example Bill Clinton reads Meditations-Marcus Aurelius every year so for some people it might make sense to read 2-3 books again from time to time.

wordwarrior

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 16, 2019
Montreal, Canada
*Reading, or what we are taught at schools, which is referred to as reading. It looks like it can be done better. What is the purpose of reading? In short? My purpose is to learn and improve. And school way of reading is retarded. You don't need to comprehend every space, letter, comma and digit from every book to know what it is about and be 'richer' with this knowledge.

PS If someone tells you, you don't need to read that much. Well, maybe he doesn't but try for yourself. In my opinion, the more you read / learn the better. Not the opposite...

My thought is to take the top three or four books I've read recently and go over the highlights I've made, skipping the rest. Two that come to mind are the Robert Cialdini books: Influence and Pre-Suasion. I think I need to do the same with James Clear's Atomic Habits, and the same with UNSCRIPTED once I'm done with it (50% at this writing).

Perhaps there's a balance between working toward my first entrepreneurial step (more on that in a future post) and learning without turning into a book consumer.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
It's one of the best things you can do. Focus on the best books and reread them often, especially if it's nonfiction.

The fundamentals never change.
Haha sure thing!

It works the same for TFLF threads as well, you know? :smile:

Husky

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
571%
Dec 23, 2018
England
i know some of you have mentioned that you’ve reread one or both of MJ’s books.

This brings up a larger question: Is it worth it to reread the few very best books you’ve read? If you’ve done so, what were the benefits?

Given the need to have a bias for action and not fall into the book consumer trap, I’m skeptical but still open to the idea.

Rereading is an activity I reserve for only the best, most profound books I've experienced.

The first reading might enlighten you, but the second, third, etc. readings make you BECOME the book.

@MJ DeMarco's books definitely need rereading. There's a lot going on in them and you'll pick up things you missed or didn't fully comprehend the first time around. Plus - add some time and experience between rereading and you'll really start having things CLICK in your mind.

Also worth rereading:
- Stephen Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
- Viktor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning
- Dale Carnegie's How to Stop Worrying and Start Living
-
The Bible (I'm not even religious)
- Marcus Aurelius' Meditations
- Shakespeare

SWB

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Mar 12, 2013
Sydney
Of course there is value in it. You’ve purchased it so get as much as you can out of it. Squeeze it so much that you’ve extracted every bit of gold out of plot that you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WealthyMarketer

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Dec 28, 2018
I found that I had to re-read (and re-listen) to each chapter at least five times before I fully grasped the concepts.

Some of the concepts need to become internalized and woven into your core being, and that can't happen with just one reading.

Never1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 13, 2015
Canada
I'm an audiobook junkie. I listen to audiobooks whenever I'm doing menial tasks (cleaning/tidying, driving, etc...) I've re-"read" Unscripted and TMFL probably a dozen times, each. Of all the books I have, these two (especially Unscripted ) keep rooting themselves deeper and deeper into my subconscious, over time. "Atomic habits" by James Clear is another. There are a few others that I have re-read, but they don't have the same sort of slow simmering staying power, for me. I'll reread most books I buy, but not on repeat like MJ's books. (not trying to sound like a kiss-a$$, considering where we are posting. but it's the truth)

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Just reread Emyth by Gerber. Perfect timing as we are updating processes and business structure.

I have a huge stack of books. When I feel a lull in knowledge (or motivation) I'll grab one that looks like it could help the current situation and dig in. Often it is exactly the advice I need to get over the hump.

Put reading / thinking time into your schedule each week. Your brain needs a chance to process and connect and develop ideas. Give it exercise time just like your gym time.

AniM

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Apr 11, 2018
DC
Yeah I re-read nonfiction books that I found really valuable.

I read MJ's books and then later listened to both on Audible. I'll probably read Unscripted again later this year.

Read Boron Letters twice, as well as some other great marketing books.

There are a couple other great books I want to re-read multiple times to help them stick. I also like to highlight and/or take notes. I am also considering making a mind-map while reading, to really do a deep study of certain books.

I'll probably re-read Scientific Advertising later this year, as well as The Richest Man In Babylon.

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

lucasb

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Jun 5, 2018
We tend to look for more and more information by reading, avoiding applying what we already know.

You have to avoid these by constantly rereading the best books and obsessively apply your ideas.

The search for knowledge is easier than to do to DO. The brain tends to the easy.
For someone who loves to read like me, the solution I find is to repeat myself 10 times "do it now" and do whatever comes up in the moment. Idea of CLEMENTE STONE.

ds_groundupbiz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Oct 9, 2018
Houston, TX
I'm a firm believer that the first read is usually a scouting trip. Maybe there will be some great nuggets and the overall concept will be captured, significant enough for a new insight or a wave of action.

I also believe that the true value of books come when some things in your life have changed, or you are more experienced in life and you decide to read the book again for a newfound clarity. My brightest ideas and inspirations have come from re-reading gem books, especially The Millionaire Fastlane .

Just my opinion though. If time permits, I say re-read! You never know what ideas or insight may come from that unless you try it.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.