The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Validate a Roommate Website Idea

Idea threads

Chris!$

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 27, 2016
Hello,

I am trying to validate a business idea I have for a roommate finder website, but I was wondering what would be a good way to validate my idea.

I would want to talk to potential customers ideally, but this is where I am not sure. Since I wouldn't know where.

An idea i have thought of is to create a wix basic website and run an ad to see if I can get any visitors and ask them for emails?

Any ideas?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Surge5x

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Mar 13, 2019
London
Hey Chris,

It depends on what you are trying to validate: Is it the business model? The market? The site design?

I'd say that roommate finding websites already exist and you can check out their traffic numbers on similarweb.com and then take 0.5%-1% conversions (thats a guesstimate) and see what the revenue numbers might look like.

I'd focus on 2 different validation strategies here:
1. Does this market exist in [insert your area]?
2. What's your secret sauce, how are you different from all the others? - How do customers respond to this?

Don't run ads just yet; without knowing your target market and your core proposition you'll only be burning cash.

For both of these you're going to have to speak to customers. Try checking out places where new arrivals to your city hang out in: hostels, coffee shops near the train station / airport, FB groups, etc.

Hope that helps!

Chris!$

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 27, 2016
Hey Chris,

It depends on what you are trying to validate: Is it the business model? The market? The site design?

I'd say that roommate finding websites already exist and you can check out their traffic numbers on similarweb.com and then take 0.5%-1% conversions (thats a guesstimate) and see what the revenue numbers might look like.

I'd focus on 2 different validation strategies here:
1. Does this market exist in [insert your area]?
2. What's your secret sauce, how are you different from all the others? - How do customers respond to this?

Don't run ads just yet; without knowing your target market and your core proposition you'll only be burning cash.

For both of these you're going to have to speak to customers. Try checking out places where new arrivals to your city hang out in: hostels, coffee shops near the train station / airport, FB groups, etc.

Hope that helps!

Wow thank you.
I did not know about similarweb.com before, its a good tool.

Also I didn't even think about checking out places where new people arrive. Surprisingly its simple when you said it.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
Hello,

I am trying to validate a business idea I have for a roommate finder website, but I was wondering what would be a good way to validate my idea.

I would want to talk to potential customers ideally, but this is where I am not sure. Since I wouldn't know where.

An idea i have thought of is to create a wix basic website and run an ad to see if I can get any visitors and ask them for emails?

Any ideas?

Flatmate Finders - Australia's #1 Flatmate Matching Service | Since 1987
https://www.roomster.com/
Find your Perfect Match®

It exists. There's a market.

Mutant

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Jan 8, 2018
London
And here’s the UK version:

spareroom.co.uk

They are massive online, & even do weekly “speed flatmating” events in real life. Because when you think about it, trying to match people to live together can take a lot of tactics from trying to match people for dating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.